Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Balk
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
As this is my first post, let me start by saying thank you to Aldie and Derk and to anyone else who may have helped to design and run this excellent web site.

I've been having a lot of fun playing Tigris & Euphrates, and I look forward to many more hours of enjoyment here.

I discovered the statistics page, and I'm disappointed that it does not include a listing organized by win/loss ratio. I suspect that many successful players feel the same.

However, it would also be appropriate to weed out of such a listing those players (like me) who have not yet played many games and therefore whose win/loss ratio may also reflect good or bad luck. I don't know enough about statistics (I bet someone reading this does) to determine the minimum number of games played to produce a valid ranking by this measure. So I'll just make an offhhand suggestion that an acceptable minimum might be 25 games. Calculate the win/loss ratio for all players, but post them only for those who have played 25 or more games.

It also might be nice to split out the statistics for Tigris & Euphrates and for Auf Heller und Pfennig, so that players can view the stats for either game alone or for both. (Even more valuable if this site offers other games online in the future.)

Perhaps the entire statistics page could be reorganized as one big table with several sorting fields, so that the user can choose whether to sort by game; by number of games played; by number of wins; by win/loss ratio; even alphabetically by user name. And better yet if the table were to allow primary/secondary sorting along multiple variables.

Thanks again!

- Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
yuk

Please don't do this. Please. Let's not make this site into yet another competitive "mine is bigger than yours" public jerkoff about who is a more "successful player".

I beg of you, BGG owners. Keep the community as a community. Please.

yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Balk
United States
Inver Grove Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Suggestion for player statistics by wins ratio
What I really meant was a stats listing by wins -- like a batting average -- wins to total games played.

I can understand concerns about excessive competition and other irritating behavior. But people do what they do. There are plenty of examples of good and bad behavior in sports and other competitive communities, at all levels of ability. We, as a community, can and should encourage healty and polite competition and provide feedback and (if necessary) consequences for bad badhavior.

The stats data is there already; I'm just proposing an extension to make it a little more user-friendly for those who care to follow such data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This idea surfaces once in a while. I dont think the good would outweigh the bad if this idea were implemented. One more source of flamebait pretty much. You can keep a personal record with a spreadsheet just as easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.