Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a huge fan of the original version of this game. Has anyone who has played the original also played the new one? How do they compare? I know the rules are different as are the cards and figures, etc.

I love this game because of it's atmosphere. You can really feel like you are walking around in the novel and really hunting Dracula. Do the new rules add or take away from this atmosphere? Does Dracula's new movement system solve the problem of Dracula dissappearing into the mist and having the game feel like it's starting over from the very beginning?

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I think that you're going to like the new one.
I do NOT like the old one, but almost every complain I had with it has been solved in the new edition (player elimination is no longer possible, Dracula must play an encounter every turn so the game can't "drag on forever", etc.).
There's still "Evasion" (one card on 75 allowing Dracula to "teleport" wherever he wishes), but the number of cards helping the Hunters to get information about Dracula has been raised. In fact it can be TOUGHT for Dracula to stay hidden for long, especially due to the new movement system that allows more deduction and increase interaction between players; perhaps the greatest improvement from the old version. I suspect that you were referring to the fact that the "old" Dracula could stop playing chits, simply moving away when he (or the "Local Rumors" marker) was caught and then restart "playing"... this is no longer possible and keeps the game interesting after the initial "investigative" turns.
The atmosphere is still there and the gameplay can offer some tense moments (and "ebb and flow": you can never be sure if Dracula will win until the last turn).
You may like to read the FFG official forums (other than the discussions here on BGG) to find more opinions (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?boar...).
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

That is exactly what I was hoping for. A new set of rules that fixed some of the old problems but that didn't take away that dreamy, creepy atmosphere either. I knew I would go out and get this anyway. I just wanted to be reassured about it.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I fully admit to geeking out during the playtests over atmosphere. Not only does the new game maintain alot of the atmosphere of the old one, it actually adds some.

The ally cards are all drawn from the old novel. "Shipping Agents" have been replaced with "Rufus Smith", the hunters can now recruit Sister Agatha, and Dracula can recruit Immanuel Hildesheim or even raise Quincy P. Morris from the dead to bedevil his former allies.

How cool is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.