Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From the English rules:

"Both coaches must always have a player figure which can reach the ball (not necessarily within 6 steps) without using the spaces outside the lines."

What exactly does this mean? Am I not allowed to place the ball farther than 6 spaces away from my opponent's closest figure? And what does the bit in parentheses mean?

Thanks for your help.

TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, this rule is put in place to prevent you from locking the ball in a corner, or surrounding the ball so that the other team cannot get to the ball.

Make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
It's not your fault. The wording is rather obscure. "Reach" implies a move, and the parenthetical qualification doesn't completely dispel that impression. What it means is that both coaches must have a player figure that has a path to the ball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The basic meaning is that you can't surround the ball and prevent your opponent from getting to it. Otherwise, should you have the lead, you just surround the ball with 4 men and just move your 5th player on your turn. There is no way for the opponent to get to the ball - so you win.

The parenthetical part (not necessarily within 6 steps) means that all that is needed is that the opponent can reach the ball somehow - the distance does not have to be 6 steps (or less). Otherwise, some might argue they "can't reach" the ball if the path is 8 steps long and the best they could roll is a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.