Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: January 7th, 2006

Game: Café International - Das Kartenspiel

Players: Benoît, Larissa (my daughter), Valdir (myself), Welington, Worthy Opponent (name withheld at player's request; from now on called WO)

Variants: Six tables (2x3); table redraw if duplicate

Our friend Welington had told us that he would come to our house and bring Benoît and their friend Marie-Jo (with whom we had already played a game of Cranium last year: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/32763) for some more gaming. I arrived earlier than usual from my Meetup meeting just to receive them.

Unfortunately it was only Welington who showed up, he said that Marie-Jo had other plans and could not join us. Benoît might come in later on.

We cleared the table, I set it up to play Café International (WO's favourite game). Larissa, my daughter, joined us for the first game. I explained the rules to Welington, who had never played this one (he prefers TransAmerica).

I took an early lead which was never challenged, I was always at least ten points ahead of the pack. Soon after we had lapped around the score track (I use a Carcassone track to keep score), Welington ran out of cards. I explained to him that he might decide if the game would end or not. If he did, I would have won by only three points. He decided to keep trying.

We were interrupted at least twice during the game by calls to Welington's cell phone, he was trying to arrange for Benoît to come over and also to solve some problem at his work.

Ivan, my son, arrived during this first game. He had gone to Laval to play German games at a friend's house. He said that he only played one game of Railroad Tycoon which took more than five hours and wasn't yet finished when he left! Oh boy, that's painful...

Anyway, going back to our game, I was able to win convincingly this first one, as you can see below:

Final Score
Player: Points
Valdir: 104
Welington: 80
WO: 78
Larissa: 67

-------------------------------------------------------------
We stopped our session after my win and went to the kitchen to eat a few things. Benoît showed up just at this moment and joined us.

After eating and talking a little bit, we went back to the gaming table for another round of Café. This time I ran out of cards right after lapping around the score track and declared the game finished as my closest competitor was way behind.

This was Benoît's first go at this game, so of course he had a few questions and doubts. Welington was always making fun of him... These two guys like to annoy one another...

Final Score
Valdir: 57
Welington: 40
Benoît: 39
WO: 19

-------------------------------------------------------------
As the previous one was too short, we decided to go for one more, just to close the gaming night. This was to be Benoît's turn to shine, he was always in the lead and his win was uncontested.

Final Score
Benoît: 113
WO: 95
Valdir: 84
Welington: 71
Even though this game is not one of my favourites, I still play it quite a lot with friends who are not yet ready for deeper games. It's a nice filler as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.