Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks! Finally got the game today and one of the first things I did was try to get it to look like a couple of the cool pics here on BBG. I dug through all the Halloween decorations to find two blacklights (making a big mess in the storage shed that I better fix tonight or the missus kiss is gonna be angry.

Well, I stole some short lamps from throughout the house, set up the figures, turned off all the other lights, and turned those 75W blacklight bulbs on, and... Well, not much happened . The green figures looked ok, and the yellow ones glowed a tiny bit, but the others did nothing much, and of course it was to dark to play the game.

So, if any of you have had any luck with using blacklights AND still being able to see the game well enough to play, PLEASE shed some "light" on the subject for me!

Thanx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
You were just using the cheeky little "blacklight lightbulbs" that you can buy in Wal-Mart and the like (the ones you screw into a normal lightbulb socket, not the flourescent tube ones)? I don't think those are true blacklights or, if they are, they're not very strong. I'd recommend looking at a party supply store for a real blacklight. No clue if that'll do the trick, but it should work better than what you've got now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The screw ins never really work, you have to use flourescent. However, I don't know how well you'd be able to see the board. Perhaps if the ambiant lighting were on a dimmer, and just bright enough for you to see the tiles and cards, the blicklights should still have great effect.

Seen here blacklight only, and some of the board details seem to be blacklight reactive as well.

Seen here, with the ambient light assumed to be only the flash of the camera; yet the pieces still have a Tron-like quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Yes, I was using "cheesy" normal "blacklight" bulbs - not flourescent or anything high speed.

Oh well, I don't see myself going out and buying special lights for this - guess I'll have to wait for some kind of Halloween party at my kid's school, or sneak into the nearest "Laser Tag" arena or something to REALLY try this out.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of making a special wood board that the tiles fit into so they don't slide around and a space for the aliens on the side...

It would not be much more difficult to make it with small blacklights on the sides. Perhaps a special monolith with a light in there as well. Sheild them so they don't bug your eyes out but make the figures glow.

I'll look into this.

If anyone else tries this please post a pic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're far more creative and clever than I! Suprisingly, I haven't had big problems with the tiles sliding around, but it would be cool to have a nice foundation.

If / when you get around to making it, be sure and post some pics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have started a board. It is just foam-core on two levels. the top level keeps the inner tiles in line and allows you to place the bases wherever you need them. Outside of that I made hexes for the alien pieces and one for each of the money tiles on either side. There is always room for the cards even with four players.

I just played it tonight with the new board. It worked fantastically! I managed to snap one very bad picture. there was bad lighting and no flash so it sucks. I'll go ahead and upload it though it'll probably get rejected.

I hope now to get a blacklight and some acrylic tubing to use as light pipes. The light will go underneath the board and the acrylic light pipes will pipe the light up to the board.... most likely coming out of each side of the Monolith so that the entire board is illuminated.

On a side note the people that I played with had never played and they loved it!

Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh fudge.... the server is down.....

Well, I'll just have to get better pics in the interem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.