Subject: Looking for games where you screw over your opponents. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
I have been playing Carcassonne quite a bit and some Ticket to Ride Europe and I like them but they seem to be friendly/thinking games. That is fine but I am getting tired of this and I am interested in some games where a big part of winning is screwing over your opponent.

Beyond that requirement I don't really have any others. I am a big fan a little pieces but again not a requirement.

I am sure there are some of these idea in both Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride and I just haven't played enough and gotten a good enough idea of the game play.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you are not trying hard enough to stop your opponents from being able to finish their cities, and thus stranding their meeples all game. My wife stopped playing Carc because it was too mean.

I like Citadels. The stabbing is a little blind but that makes it even more tense and funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so would you like screwage factor + thinking or without too much thinking? If the former, Tigris & Euphrates, Reef Encounter, and Caylus all satisfy this requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
We stop each others cities from being made but when that happen I am just like "oh well I still get the points and get to put my meeple some place else." It might stop what I wanted to do but it isn't the end of the world.

I am looking for something where when a player makes a move against me I am thinking to myself "You &*#&#*^ @#(#$&$& $%&$ *#$&$#&#% *#%&#%* #&%#* %#!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, are you looking for some more straight screw you kind of games? If so, try I'm the Boss, Intrige, Quo Vadis, Rette Sich Wer Kann (the Lifeboat Game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
It can be with or without thinking. I just want more interaction and that part friendly part pissed banter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones no better game out there right now for backstabbing friends and foes alike.

Lost Valley Build a mine and before you know it everyone but you has gold from it. Good times.

Louis 14 Screwage factor in this game is quite nice.

Die Handler I have only played this once, but I have heard some horrific screwage stories. A bit hard to find since it is oop.
(I have a copy of course)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a b
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
What is BSW?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dave wrote:
What is BSW?

A German site for playing euro board games in real time over the internet. Attika is one of the games, and so is Intrigue.

The main site:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de

It's a German site, but you can click on the english flag to see English. The board game interface is also in German, but you can go to this site for help with that and other things:

http://www.brettspielwelt.info

There is also a helpfull thread on BGG here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77942

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dave wrote:
What is BSW?

BrettSpielWelt.de

you can go there, click on the british flag to make it in english, and download the client.

when you access the client, which is java enabled, you will be able to play games over the internet with other people in real time.

these games include puerto rico, caylus, power grid, princes of florence, and many other popular games here on BGG, in addition to many lighter games and a few card games.

the graphic implementation is beautiful and for the most part it is very easy to find a game to play if it is one of the popular ones (like puerto rico, carcassonne, or settlers), or once you start meeting people who are regulars you can suggest other games to play. the english speaking community is large and frequents the site in large numbers when it is evening in the u.s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive!
Sunken City
Carcassonne - add The Princess and the Dragon or The Count of Carcassonne
Kingdoms
Verrater (I would imagine it has screwage since it translates as "traitor")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Quote:
A Game of Thrones no better game out there right now for backstabbing friends and foes alike.

I second that. Or dispense with the bullsh&t and try Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Illuminati
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28

If you have a group of people who are in the right mood (i.e. everyone wants to screw over everyone else) this is a great game.

Edit: I should mention that you want at least 5 people for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osmotic Trickster
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Down along the creek, I remember something
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or, are you looking for some more straight screw you kind of games? If so, try I'm the Boss, Intrige, Quo Vadis, Rette Sich Wer Kann (the Lifeboat Game).

Concur, and of these Intrige is the simplest, cheapest, and most vile. Almost through vile and out the other side, in fact - you do so much ronking it becomes almost normal. "Oh well, screwed again."

Play only with a tough crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 5 or 6 players, WildLife provides many fantastic opportunities for screwage and domination. May the best species win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kayl
United States
Seal Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although its been mentioned and rementioned: Intrige.

It's as few rules as possible to allow, nay, to force people to screw others over.

Other games are Diplomacy, I'm the Boss, even Traders of Genoa can get ugly with nothing but duplicitous people. Risk, believe it or not, has lots of screwage opportunity (and I'm still not a big fan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ALL WARGAMES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago with five players is real mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always try to screw people over with both Caracssonne and TtR: Europe. On the Europe map there are a few routes that are key and just go for those first.

Other games with a good screwage factor- chess, blokus, ingenious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Dave wrote:
We stop each others cities from being made but when that happen I am just like "oh well I still get the points and get to put my meeple some place else." It might stop what I wanted to do but it isn't the end of the world.

You don´t get to put that meeple some place else...

(Just checking you´re not taking your meeple back and just score it)...

Edit : Of course, Diplomacy is the best of the lot if you want a brilliant meta-game that can turn nasty. Anyone eliminated a player in the first 3 (or was it 4...) seasons ? devil just because, err, because you could ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
old good diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

As others have said, nothing compares to the viciousness of Intrige. It's a pretty dry game but is it ever nasty. Diplomacy is too long but it's a wonderful game.

If you're looking for a lighter quick card game, Sticheln plays pretty nasty with 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - Santiago with five players. I watched a husband and wife tiptoe on the edge of nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
jdludlow wrote:
Illuminati
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/28

If you have a group of people who are in the right mood (i.e. everyone wants to screw over everyone else) this is a great game.

Edit: I should mention that you want at least 5 people for this.

Similarly the CCG "Illuminati NWO" and all its expansions is another good choice for screwing with the other players (very big part of the game). This game can be a real brain burner though.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1552

It works well with as few as 3 players. 4 is a better number but you can do as few as 2 players in heads up (personally never been a fan of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Mare:Nostrum, with the Mythology Expansion. There are plenty of ways to screw people, some obvious, some subtle. Plus it is a good game which more people should play meeple

The Expansion adds in Gods who can be very nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.