Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the game thread for Highlander, the Battlecard game (inspired by online werewolf, but precious little resemblance at this point). We currently have 13 players, new players still accepted until Noon BGG time, December 9th.

You know the most important rules already:

1) No fighting on holy ground.

2) No two-on-one.

And most important:

3) In the end, there can be only one.

Here's the rest of the gory details:

RULES-- HIGHLANDER, THE BATTLECARD GAME

All players in this game are immortals. In the end, there can only be one....

The key to this game is a battlecard system. Players hold a virtual hand of battlecards, starting the game with six (but increasing as they win duels or defeat powerful opponents). These are the names of the cards, and how common they are:

24% Frontal Assault
18% Left thrust
18% Right thrust
16% Probe
12% All-out attack
12% Parry

The attacker uses one of his cards to attack, the defender then has to match the card or lose his head. But if he matches, the initiative may go over to the side of the defender. (Don't worry, I'll have examples in a minute.) Some of the cards are special:

Probe -- if you win a battle with a probe, you do not take their head.

All-out attack -- if this is defended against, initiative automatically passes to the defender.

Parry -- may defend against ANY attack, but the attacker retains the initiative (unless all-out attack was used). May not be used to attack.

Players start with 6 cards, and lose initiative after every attack. Once a player has taken a head, they can play more cards while keeping the initiative -- for each head taken, you can choose to retain the initiative after an attack that many times during the battle.

If the player with the initiative has no non-parry cards left to play, initiative passes permanently to the other player. If the other player also runs out of non-parry cards, the duel ends and both players keep their head. The original defender is considered the winner of the battle.

Each time you win a battle, another card is added to your hand. If you take the head of someone who has more than six cards in your hands, you also get half of their extra cards (rounded down, but never less than one), randomly selected from their hand.

Which cards are in your hand are initially secret, but may be revealed in the course of a duel. There are also actions that can be taken to spy on others' hands, or to change the cards in your own hand. The only way to increase your hand size is to win duels.

Example duel: new immortal Richie attacks new immortal Duncan. Both have six cards and have taken no heads. Richie has the initiative.

Richie has two frontal assaults, a left thrust, two probes, and a parry
Duncan has two frontal assaults, a right thrust, a left thrust, an all-out attack, and a parry.

Richie starts with a frontal assault. Duncan counters with his own.
Duncan comes back with a right thrust. Richie doesn't have one, so he uses his parry (Ducan keeps initiative).
Duncan then uses his left thrust. Richie counters with his own.
Richie attacks with a frontal assault, blocked by Duncans frontal assault.
Duncan responds with his all-out attack. Richie can't block it, and loses his head.

Duncan has taken one head, so he can now retain initiative once during a duel. He has given one new random card for his victory (turns out to be a probe), and will be able to use all his cards for his attack on Darius.

Second example duel: Kurgan (twelve cards, three heads) attacks Connor (nine cards, two heads).

Kurgan's hand: Frontal x3, Left x5, All-out x2, Parry x2
Connor's hand: Frontal, Left x2, Right x2, Probe x3, Parry

Kurgan starts with a Left, Connor counters. Kurgan can retain the initiative 3 times, chooses to keep it
Kurgan comes with another Left, Connor counters. Kurgan again chooses to keep initiative
Kurgan tries an All-out, Connor is forced to use his Parry. Initiative automatically goes to Connor (all-out)
Connor goes with a Right, Kurgan is forced to Parry. Connor keeps initative for free (Parry)
Connor again uses a Right, Kurgan is forced to Parry again. Connor keeps initiative for free
Connor tries his Frontal, Kurgan counters. Connor can retain initiative twice, chooses to keep it here.
Connor has only Probes left. Kurgan cannot counter, and Connor wins the duel (but Kurgan keeps his head).

Connor gets another card for winning the duel (random, another Right). If he had taken Kurgan's head, he would have picked up an additional three cards, randomly selected from Kurgan's mix.

HOLY GROUND. Immortals may choose to declare publicly that they will spending the next day on Holy Ground. They cannot attack or attack there, other actions are permissable but restricted. You may not spend more than one consecutive day on Holy Ground. Deadline for declaring the next day will be spent on Holy Ground is 10 PM BGG time.

ACTIONS: The following actions are possible:

Attack--attempt to take another immortal's head. If not prevented by a two-on-one, you will have initiative in the duel (exception -- if you both attack each other, inititiative will go to the player who PMed the attack request first). You may not attack a player who is on holy ground.

Train--this can be used to mix up the contents of your battlecard deck. You choose which cards to give back, and they will be replaced with randomly chosen new cards. If attacked and force to fight a duel, you will fight with the old hand.

Spy--this can be used to peek at another players hand. If they were training on Holy Ground you will see the new hand, if they were training in unsafe territory you will see the old hand. The immortal will know he's been spied upon, but not by whom or how many. If an immortal is on holy ground, he may only spy on another immortal on Holy Ground.

Negotiate--this can be used to open PMs with another player for private communication. If an immortal is on Holy Ground, he can only open a channel to someone else on Holy Ground.

PUBLIC POSTS: Players may post whatever they want, whenever they want (smack talk, propose alliances, whatever.) There are no lynch votes of any kind. If you want to negotiate privately with another player, the Negotiate action will open a 24-hour PM window. But in the end, there can only be one.

DEADLINES: Actions for the next day must be chosen and sent in by 10PM. Earlier is better in the case where a mutual attack occurs, but risks not getting information from duels that haven't happened yet. In the case of an attack, you may specify an alternate action in case your target ends up on Holy Ground. If no alternate action is given, the default action will be to spy on your sheltered target instead of attacking him.

The actions should also always include the following -- time slot when the player could fight a public duel, and auto-pilot strategy commands for using your cards if you can't fight a public duel. If a duel occurs when BOTH players can fight a duel, the duel will happen in back-and-forth fashion between the two combatants. Otherwise, the duel will be fought (and results posted publicly) by the mod, using the strategy in the PMs. If there are no strategy instructions, cards will be chosen randomly from the hand, with initiative always retained, if possible. If there is no action PM, there is a 50% chance of training (replacing all cards in the hand), and a 50% chance of spying on a random player. Holy Ground declarations are made *publicly* on the previous day, in bold.

DAY ONE. January 9th is a day for introduction. For color purposes and to help with battle writeups, I would like all players to post the following during the day:

Backstory (name, country of origin, age, anything else you like)
Weapon (e.g. Claymore)
Improbable place weapon is stored (e.g. I pull the Claymore out of my coin purse)

In addition, all players have a free Jan 9th train option available. If you don't like your initial deal, you can do something about it.

Player list:
1) Rukasu
2) jmilum
3) seanp
4) bluebehir
5) Gregarius
6) kuchick
7) Melsana
8) shugyosha
9) arkibet
10) lauramath
11) latria
12) bowman
13) xandryyte

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Highlander: The Battlecard Game. You can still join!
The 13 immortals who signed up before the 9th have all been sent their starting hand. Please PM me if you have not received this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Latria of Singapore.

I have a very sharp needle in a bundle of hay in my backpocket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I am Bowman from Bolivia. My epee is hidden in my peg leg. I wear an eyepatch and have a parrot sitting on my shoulder. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I am Musashi from Japan. I killed 60 men in duels while in my normal life. In 1645 I retired to become a hermit and write my masterwork, the Book of Five Rings. I hide the exquisite katana and wakizashi of my ancestors in the sleeve of my kimono.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I'm Melsana the Viking and I like to hide my Axe (great for chopping off heads) in my skirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Gregarius of Sparta. I had my first kill at the age of 14, and I had my first death at the age of 22 at the Battle of Thermopylae. When I awoke with the quickening, all my brothers and my king Leonidas lay dead around me. It was my destiny to continue to fight in every battle against the Persians until Xerxes was defeated.

For 2500 years I have hunted in this world. With my xiphos conveniently stored in my backpack, I will continue to slay all who dare oppose me. I was born a warrior, and I have killed more than I can count, both immortal and mortal. None of you will survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Lord Nelson. I have no need to hide my sword. I wear it proudly. There can be only one, and that one will be me. I have a foolproof plan to accomplish this:

1. I will teach you all the true meaning of Fear
2. I will sow seeds of uncertainty amongst you
3. You will cower before me with self doubt
4. I will whip your butts
5. I will chop of your heads
6. I will win and there will be only One, me!

Phase One has started, do you feel it yet.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Lucius, born in Rome at the height of the empire. I served as a member of the Roman Legion, XII, the Lightening Legion. Recruited by Julius Caesar, I served my country with pride and skill until I was pensioned after our masterfull battle at Pharsalus (9 August 48). I received land in the neighborhood of Parma for my service, but met my first death upon being ambushed by some petty thieves shortly thereafter. After my quickening, I tracked down the thieves and made sure they wouldn't continue in their actions in the future. Luckily my land grant was able to sustain me and provide a decent amount of wealth, which I used to invest heavily in treasures of the Roman Empire.

I keep my gladius short sword handy, as it is easily hidden beneath most clothing, and if the situation warrants can improvise objects into makeshift pilum (or javalin) - it doesn't take off the head, but can slow down attackers quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,
My name is Lauramath and I hail from Jherloz the land of witches. I have ruled this land since the beginning of time and possess dark magic stronger than all forces in the universe. I could annhilate all existance on a whim.

For the purpose of defense against physical attacks, I carry my trusty Spiked Flail. I store this conveniantly in my Iron Brassiere. In a fraction of a second I can clock you with it's razor sharp points, sending steel 4 inches deep within your brain.

Don't mess with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
I am Musashi from Japan. I killed 60 men in duels while in my normal life. In 1645 I retired to become a hermit and write my masterwork, the Book of Five Rings. I hide the exquisite katana and wakizashi of my ancestors in the sleeve of my kimono.

It was Musashi that found me on the field of battle under Nobunaga's reign. I was a ninja of the Hokujin clan, fighting under the dark of night with my two Sai knives. (They're extremely easy to hide.) I prefer to fight within close quarters. My name then was Domon.

I am saddened that the Gathering should happen so soon in our immortal lives. May you all fight with honor for the glory of the Quickening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: Highlander: The Battlecard Game. Orders due 10 PM.
Laura, are you from Highlander 2?

Real Mod question about the cards: do you have a real deck with so many of each that will eventually run out when the deck is depleted or do you just roll a dice every time someone draws and consult the table to see what it is? (I hope someone sees the difference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine immortals have introduced themselves.

Two have taken advantage of today's free train command.

Three have sent in orders for tomorrow.

None have declared they will spend tomorrow on Holy Ground.

Orders are due at 10 PM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
We have many honorable warriors.

I look forward to meeting you all in battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
Real Mod question about the cards: do you have a real deck with so many of each that will eventually run out when the deck is depleted or do you just roll a dice every time someone draws and consult the table to see what it is? (I hope someone sees the difference).

RNG, so card counting will not work. I considered using the actual battlecards from Hannibal, but if I ran out of cards I'm not sure I could afford another copy of the game . Consider the cards as being dealt from an infinite deck--so the percentages are merely a guide to scarcity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
shugyosha wrote:
We have many honorable warriors.

I look forward to meeting you all in battle.

arrrh Arrrh, the honorable warriors are always the first to go.

"squack, first to go, first to go!"

I'm a pirate, and I intend to probe everyone here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
quickening sharpens,
heightens each sensation . . .
Fearing stirs and
wakes imagination . . .
Silently the senses
abandon their defences . . .
Slowly, gently
FUD unfurls its splendour . . .
Grasp it, sense it -
tremulous and tender . . .
Turn your head away
from the slicing of my sword,
as your thoughts fade away
from cold, unfeeling light -
and listen to
the quickening of your soul . . .
Close your eyes
and surrender it to me!

Phase 2 has begun, it's only a matter of time now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nine immortals have introduced themselves.

Three have taken today's free train option.

Four have sent in orders for tomorrow.

None have declared they will spend tomorrow on holy ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
b{It occurs to me sample orders might be in order. Here's two samples.

The first is from Kurgan. He has a hand of 2 frontal assaults, one left thrust, one right thrust, and two all-out assualts. He sends me a message by 10 PM.

Great and all-powerful moderator,

I, the almighty Kurgan, will attack the coward Ramirez. I will be available for public duels between 10am and 2 pm BGG time. If I can't fight a public duel, I will play my cards in the following order against Ramirez:

LEFT THRUST
ALL-OUT
ALL-OUT
FRONTAL
FRONTAL
RIGHT THRUST.

If the coward Ramirez hides on Holy Ground, I will attack Connor. Against Connor I will play as follows:

ALL-OUT
ALL-OUT
FRONTAL
FRONTAL
RIGHT THRUST
LEFT THRUST

If attacked by someone else, I will use the same strategy as against Connor.

Here is an order from Duncan, holding two left thrusts, two probes, and two parries.

spy on Amanda.

Available 7-9 pm.

Strategy LT, P, LT, P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Bluebehir of the lowlands in Australia, and I was born before the Aboriginals counted time. Many years I lived off the land, until I became sick, and should have died. I was sent to walkabout, and have travelled far to have now learned the ways of the sword.

I hide a katana in the crook of my back (sheathed, of course!) and a claymore in my car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bowman wrote:
arrrh Arrrh, the honorable warriors are always the first to go.

"squack, first to go, first to go!"

I'm a pirate, and I intend to probe everyone here!

I said "honorable" not "stupid". I know that I will look into the eyes of my opponent and I will know the victor before the first blow is struck.

However, I am not certain how you intend taking heads with an epee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
It occurs to me sample orders might be in order. Here's two samples.

The first is from Kurgan. He has a hand of 2 frontal assaults, one left thrust, one right thrust, and two all-out assualts. He sends me a message by 10 PM.

Great and all-powerful moderator,

I, the almighty Kurgan, will attack the coward Ramirez. I will be available for public duels between 10am and 2 pm BGG time. If I can't fight a public duel, I will play my cards in the following order against Ramirez:

LEFT THRUST
ALL-OUT
ALL-OUT
FRONTAL
FRONTAL
RIGHT THRUST.

If the coward Ramirez hides on Holy Ground, I will attack Connor. Against Connor I will play as follows:

ALL-OUT
ALL-OUT
FRONTAL
FRONTAL
RIGHT THRUST
LEFT THRUST

If attacked by someone else, I will use the same strategy as against Connor.

Here is an order from Duncan, holding two left thrusts, two probes, and two parries.

spy on Amanda.

Available 7-9 pm.

Strategy LT, P, LT, P

Can you give an example of two pre-planed strategies being battled. I'm not sure I understand how to best plan my pre-planed stategy.

I think I understand how it works if both players are Online at the same time, I'm just not sure I get it when they both have to pre-plan their battle.

-edit: Dale never closed his blue tag so my text was colored blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Arkibet - *bow*. I am happy that you have made it to the Gathering. I always thought you would go far. Perhaps we can show these Gaijin devils a thing or two, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seanp - Hail, strong Lucius. I, too, was fortunate to fight under the eagles of Julius. He was a great soldier and a great man. His loss damaged the world.

I see our friends from the east are already conspiring, and I propose we do the same. We must show these young upstarts the power of ancient arms.

I vow not to attack you until our number has been reduced to at least half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melsana wrote:
Can you give an example of two pre-planed strategies being battled. I'm not sure I understand how to best plan my pre-planed stategy.

I think I understand how it works if both players are Online at the same time, I'm just not sure I get it when they both have to pre-plan their battle.

Let's replace Duncan's order with attack Kurgan.

Duncan has two left thrusts, two probes, and two parries. His strategy is L, P, L, P.

Kurgan has a right thrust, a left thrust, two frontals and two all-outs. His strategy is A, A, F, F, R, L.

Duncan is the attacker so he starts with initiative. He attacks with a Left Thrust.

Kurgan counters with his own left thrust. Kurgan now has initiative.

Kurgan uses an all-out assult. Duncan uses a parry. Because it was an all-out, Duncan has initiative, even though he used a parry.

Duncan comes back with a probe. Kurgan has no probe or parries, so he loses the duel. Because it's a probe, Kurgan keeps his head. Duncan gets an extra card (random) for winning the duel.

The narration will be posted by me, so all players will know that Duncan has LT, Probe, and Parry -- and probably doesn't have an all-out assault. All players will know that Kurgan has a LT, AO, and no probes or parries.

Note that in this case, the same outcome would have happened if Kurgan would have started with the initiative. But it would have taken four cards each--everyone would know Duncan has two parries, and that Kurgan has two all-out assaults.

Note also that if Kurgan had started with his frontals instead of his all-outs (strategy F, F, A, A, R, L), he would have taken Duncan's head (Duncan would have had to use parries to block them, so Kurgan would have kept the initiative.)

Once you have an idea what cards other players have, you can better tailor your strategy to a specific person (use this card order against A, but this card order against B).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.