Graeme Jahns
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played for the first time tonight, and I had a question.

If my active harbour marker is the 'Good Trade Relations' marker, and I have negative money what rule takes priority?

Do I spend 4 ducats per card because I have negative money, OR 1 for the first, 2 for the second, 3 for the third, and 4 for the fourth because of the 'Good Trade Relations' marker?

OR is it a combination of both?

Do I have a ducat penalty for each card meaning I spend 2 ducats on the first card, 3 on the second card, 4 on the third card and 5 on the fourth card?

If anyone can help me out, that would be great!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the "Good Trade Relations" (or whatever it's called) harbor marker active, its benefit is always that you purchase cards at a 1-2-3-4 cost. This special ability supersedes the normal card cost, whatever that may be -- be it 3 ducati or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any evidence to back up this "ruling"?

I have no problem with it, but I defaulted to thinking the 4 ducati penalty price had precedence. I can see gameplay rationalizations for either way, but it would be nice to be able to answer this question the next time it comes up with a real answer instead of one I, or someone else, arbitrarily decided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Ornella
Germany
Malschenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This particular case is something was missed in the rules!
I would say that if you have negative money and the 'Good Trade Relations' harbour marker you just have to pay 4 ducatis in any case!
The real reson the "malus" of 4 ducati was introduced is it tries to avoid the case where a player spend too much money at the begin of the game in order to have an advantage in the rest of the game.
So if the 1,2,3,4 harbour marker applies, this is a combination that could give that player too much power...

In any case the idea is that players should NOT to go to negative money and the 4 ducatis is the deterrent!

Hope this can help.
Cheers,
ema
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those were my thoughts as well. Thanks for the response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.