Railways of the World» Forums » General

Subject: Road to Nowhere? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Miller
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I really love The game, but noticed something odd. The city of Dover has two links, one headed NW into the map, and one headed SE, into the ocean! There is no way that I can see to use this link. Is this an oversight in the design of the Dover space, or the map displaying the coastline?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a land hex to the SE of Dover. Personally, I guess it's merely a matter of artistic consistency, marking all cities with track leading towards all their adjacent land hexes.

But yes, I can't see it being useful for anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hex grid has several inconsistencies. Some places have been left without a grid even though they could (theoreticly at least) be used and some useless spaces have a full hex grid.

Look at the two hexes NW of Toronto. Can't be used for anything else either. Same with the hex NW of Buffalo. There is a hex on a peninsula 6 spaces N of Milwaukee - and then, of course, is there the entire area Florida S of Jacksonville. Although someone could tecnically build there no-one in their right mind would ever do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the road to nowhere from Dover heading Southeast is essentially useless... with one possible exception:

If a player doesn't wish to issue stock on a given Round or Turn, and they have just a little cash, but not enough to make a meaningful link, they might want to build a single section of $2,000 track, with the understandiing that it will vanish at the end of Round Three. For that purpose, the road to nowhere from Dover would suffice, but so would something built off of Milwaukee or Dallas or some other godforsaken city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Milwaukee or Dallas or some other godforsaken city.

Hey! Milwaukee is the greatest town on earth!

And Dallas is the home of BGG and BGG.Con... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unintentional insults :-(
My goodness!!
I didn't even realize how I was slighting the real-world cities with my comment. I meant "GODFORSAKEN" in terms of the game... (Milwaukee gets a link to it sometimes, but has anyone ever made a link to Dallas?).

My appologies to all the Shlitz beer and J.R. Ewing fans gulp

Thank you Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy for the correction.

redtraingreentrainbluetrainyellowtrainblacktrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.