Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Game: Lucky Loop

After our game of Oasis, we were interested in something a little quicker and a fair amount lighter. This is another game from our list of unplayed games that I had wanted to get to the table for a while, so I was happy for the opportunity to play a game. The object of the game is to score the most points by flying various flying exhibitions. Each player flies four exhibitions, which require certain cards to be played. After flying all four, they must fly a fifth that they make up on their own. The player with the most points after someone flies this final exhibition is the winner.

I started off on the Mighty Eagle, scoring enough to get on the score track but not enough to get one of the bonus chips. Christine followed this up by getting a score on the Rubber Duck. Matt was not successful at anything. Unfortunately for Matt, this would be the story for his entire game. For several turns, nothing really exciting happened. Then Christine hit over 20 points on the Mighty Eagle. On my next turn, I managed to get over 20 on the Diving Dove. Christine was then the first person to complete her fourth routine. This really put the pressure on. I was then able to score over 20 points on the Red Rooster. This was enough to push me ahead of Christine, which was fortunate, as she was able to finish off her final routine on her next turn. Fortunately for me, replacing her lowest score with the double from her final routine was not enough to get past me.

Final Result:

Stephen -- 69
Christine -- 65
Matt -- 17

I managed to get the high score on my last turn primarily because the dice were kind to me and Matt didn't alter the flight I needed to complete in order to win. At the time, I didn't have the cards to replace the full routine. This brings up one of the problems with the game -- you are using both dice and cards. That equates to a lot of randomness and chaos. Fortunately, the game provides a couple of methods to mitigate this -- the bonus chips and swapping cards being the primary means. Still, there is always the possibility that you can the short end of the stick, which is what happened to Matt the entire game. He was only ever able to complete two of the routines. Most of the rest of the time he finished a pair of the cards, but sometimes, he wasn't even able to complete a single card. So, in order to enjoy the game, you have to realize the amount of luck involved and be able to adapt. I find it a pleasant, if light, diversion. Our total game time was just under 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.