Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version
Theme: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Start Date: Jan 30th.
Players Needed: 20

"Dobby has come to protect Harry Potter, to warn him, even if he does have to shut his ears in the oven door later.... Harry Potter must not go back to Hogwarts.."

Two times before werewolf players have braved the dangers of the Hogwarts. Is it safe to do so again?

"There is a plot, Harry Potter. A plot to make the most terrible things happen at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year."

Twenty young wizards and witches, including the famous Harry Potter, have come to study magic at Hogwarts. But there is indeed a terrible plot afoot. Mrs. Norris has been petrified, and the schools very existence may be at stake.

THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS HAS BEEN OPENED. ENEMIES OF THE HEIR, BEWARE.

Can you discover the Heir of Slytherin before it's too late?

Note -- rules/roles pertaining to the main game are in red below. rules/roles pertaining to the house cup are in green.

The Basic Rules

Here's standard BGG Werewolf roles that apply:
Votes must be in bold, and must not be edited.
No PMs permitted unless allowed by a specific role.
No PMS may be posted.

Good's basic goal will be to eliminate all players the Heir of Slytherin can work through.

Evil's basic goal is to reduce the number of all good players (all good players except for Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy) to equal numbers with themselves. If this is accomplished, the school will be closed by the governors.

Tom Riddles' Diary One of the evil players will be holding the diary of Tom Riddle, the true heir of Slytherin. Each night Riddle will unleash Slytherin's monster on an unsuspecting student. The student will be petrified, and out of the game. In general, no information will be learned about the petrified student. If the student has already cast a vote, the vote will be doubled.

Expelling a student The student who receives the most votes will be expelled from Hogwarts. At that time good or evil will be known, but in general the role of the student will not be revealed.

The Game within a Game

Little things like a muggle-killing monster pale next to important stuff -- who will win the House Cup? All players will belong to a house -- Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. Students returning from past times at Hogwarts may choose to stay in their house, or be re-sorted. Other players new to Hogwarts must introduce themselves, so the sorting hat may put them in a house. Whether you win or lose this part of the game depends mostly on your votes:

If you eject the evil player holding the diary:

Cast the first vote -- +25 points.
Cast the "lynching vote" -- +50 points.
Cast any other vote for him -- +10 points.

If you eject an evil player not holding the diary:

Cast the first vote -- +20 points.
Cast the "lynching vote" -- +40 points.
Cast any other vote for him -- +10 points.

If you eject an innocent student:

Cast the first vote -- -10 points
Cast the "lynching vote" -- -25 points.
Cast a vote for *somebody else* -- +5 points.

The lynching vote is the vote giving the ejected student more votes than any other candidate. If the ejection is decided by tiebreaker, the final vote is considered the lynching vote.

Points may be earned in a variety of other ways, as described below. Slytherin has won two house cups in a row, so let's see more attention to house points!

Riddle's Puppets -- four players are capable of holding the diary, and being manipulated by Tom Riddle. For the sake of game balance, they start the game knowing they are evil, and win only if evil wins. One player starts with the diary, and as time passes and Riddle's awareness grows, he/she will become aware of the other evil players. Evil players have no PM rights with each other until they become aware of each other. Riddle's awareness grows as follows:

1) After the Night 2 attack, will become aware of one of the other evil players.
2) After the Night 4 attack, will become aware of another evil player (if another survives).
3) After the Night 6 attack, will become aware of the final evil player (if still around).

THE EVENTS

A number of events from the book will happen during the course of the game, giving an opportunity to affect the search for Riddle's diary, or to earn house points. The event schedule is as follows:

Every Day and Night -- A note in her fist
Every Day -- Dobby Helps
Day 1 -- Dueling Club
Night 2 -- Polyjuice Potion
Day 2 -- Valentine's Day
Night 3 -- Double Kill
Night 4 -- Aragog
Night 6 (or later) -- Her Skeleton Will Lie in the Chamber Forever

Roles to be described below will be italicized in the event description.

A note in her fist

Players removed from the game, whether from petrification or from being expelled, still have one chance to earn to house points for their team. They may leave a note predicting the guilt of one remaining player. When that player's alignment is discovered, the player will be awarded or penalized the same number of points as if they had cast the first vote on them.

Evil players may also earn points in this fashion, unless they have already discovered the identities of all evil players.

Dobby Helps

Dobby doesn't want to see anyone killed. He'd much rather see them greviously hurt. On Day One, Dobby has decided to help Harry Potter. As a result, Harry is laid up in the hospital wing and unable to vote on Day One.

On each subsequent day, Dobby will "help" a student by sending them to the hospital wing. This won't protect them from being expelled, or from Slytherin's monster, but it will cancel their vote. A random player will be selected to choose the victim of Dobby's power. If the player is still in the game, Dobby's power must be used to cancel the vote of some eligible player (Dobby may not affect the selecting player, Draco Malfoy, or a student who was petrified). Which player made the choice will be secret, the victim will be announced when the votes are resolved. If the random player selected is no longer in the game, Dobby does not help on that day.

If Dobby "helps" the holder of the diary, the diary moves to another evil player, if possible.

Dueling Club

The first day is livened up by the only meeting of Professor Lockhart's Dueling Club. All students are eligible to earn house points by showing their excellence in casting jinxes. Each student may choose one jinx, and publicly cast it. The easier it is to cast, the more house points a successful cast is worth.

Expelliarmus--3/4 chance of success, worth +4 points if successful.
Rictusempra--1/2 chance of success, worth +6 points if successful.
Tarantella--1/2 chance of success, worth +6 points if successful.
Serpensortia--1/3 chance of success, worth +9 points if successful.
Any other charm--1/4 chance of success, worth +12 points if successful.

Attempts at unforgivable curses will fail, and be dealt with harshly.

Polyjuice Potion

If one of Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, and Ron Weasley are alive, they will use the Polyjuice potion to learn the secrets of a group of players. They will learn if up to three other players are good or evil. The players must be in the same house, and must not include Harry, Hermoine, or Ron.

Valentine's Day

Professor Lockhart is raising the spirits of the school by sending surly dwarves around with singing valentines. Players earn points by inflicting valentines on others, and avoiding valentines themselves. Each player targets three players to send valentines to, and three players to avoid valentines from. Each unblocked valentine gives +5 points to the sender, and -5 points to the receiver. Each blocked valentine gives +5 points to the blocker, and -5 points to the sender.

Double Kill

On night 3, two students sharing a mirror are petrified at once.

Aragog

Two of Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, and Ron Weasley may enter the forest in search of information, a dangerous quest that may clear a friend. If only one of the threesome remain, they may be accompanied by Neville Longbottom instead. The trip will allow them to discover the guilt or innocence of a person of their choice, not including one of the three or Neville. If the person selected is innocent, they return safely. If the person is guilty, both are slain by the spiders.

Her Skeleton Will Lie in the Chamber Forever If the holder of the diary discovers that he/she is the last evil person left (this can happen no earlier than Night Six), he may abandon petrification to bring a student down to the Chamber of Secrets IF Harry Potter is still in the game (and innocent). The holder may choose to bring an innocent down, or to bring himself down. The students will then vote, not for expelling anyone, but to determine whether the missing person is evil or good--Harry Potter's vote will count double. This vote is IN PLACE of an expulsion, there will be no expulsion vote that day. After the vote decides evil or good, Harry attempts a rescue:

If the missing person is innocent, and the vote decides good, the rescue is successful and the student is returned alive and safe. Slytherin's monster is injured, and will miss the next night's kill.

If the missing person is innocent, and the vote decides evil, the rescue is unsuccessful and both student and potter are removed from the game.

If the missing person is evil, and the vote decides good, Potter is overcome by Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets. EVIL WINS.

If the missing person is evil, and the vote decides evil, Potter overcomes Riddle. GOOD WINS.

THE ROLES

Other players have a variety of roles, some of which are useful for unmasking Riddle, and some of which are useful for acquiring house points. There are plenty of roles--one for everyone, in fact. This brings up an important point--ANY ROLE could be evil. This includes Harry Potter and his friends! So let the paranoia begin. Evil players have all the powers of their role.

Since one of the points of the book was that Harry could have been in another house, had he chosen differently, Harry Potter may be in any house. Draco Malfoy may also be in any house--we all know where he belongs, but why should Slytherins have all the fun?

Events described above are italicized in the role description.

Harry Potter
Public Role, everyone knows his identity.
May PM freely to Hermoine Granger and Ron Weasley.
May not be petrified.
May not vote for the same person as Draco Malfoy.
Knows Neville Longbottom's identity.
Used in Polyjuice Potion, Aragog, and Her Skeleton will Lie in the Chamber Forever.
Cannot vote on Day One (Dobby Helps).
Starts with two extra votes against him until Hermoine or Ron are removed from the game.
Does not count against evil's victory condition.

Hermoine Granger and Ron Weasley
May PM freely to each other and Harry Potter.
Know Neville Longbottom's identity.
Used in Polyjuice Potion, and Aragog.
Have identity revealed if petrified.

Neville Longbottom
Knows Harry, Ron, and Hermoine.
May substitute for Harry, Ron, or Hermoine in Aragog.

Draco Malfoy
Public role, everyone knows him.
May not vote for the same person as Harry Potter.
May freely PM Crabbe and Goyle.
May not be petrified.
May not be "helped" by Dobby.
If expelled, may choose a player to take with him.
Does not count against evil's victory condition.

Crabbe and Goyle
May freely PM each other and Draco Malfoy.
May not vote against Draco Malfoy.

Fred and George Weasley
May freely PM each other.
If one twin is petrified or expelled, uses his trickery to escape. That twin is now immune to being petrified or expelled--but if his twin is petrified or expelled, both twins are lost.

If they "discover" the Percy/Penelope relationship by leaving a vote on Penelope, the voting twin(s) earns 10 points, and Percy loses 10 points.
If part of Percy getting expelled, Percy gains 10 points and the voting twin(s) lose 10 points.

Percy Weasley and Penelope Clearwater
May freely PM each other.
If both survive the game, they each earn 25 points for their house.

Colin Creevy
May not vote against Harry Potter
Learns from his pictures the role (but not good/evil) of each petrified or expelled player.

Moaning Myrtle's Friend
Talks to Moaning Myrtle on occasion, and towards the end may receive an unclear clue from her. On Night Five and each night thereafter, may receive a 75% accurate seer view of any player. Only good/evil is revealed, and may be wrong.

Quidditch Captains
One of these in each house.
On each of the first three days, submit a list of who you think the OTHER quidditch captains are. For each correct one, earn 5 points for your house.
If they survive past Day Three, lose 10 points from disappointment over Quidditch matches being cancelled.

Gilderoy Lockhart's Fan Club
Three players--either longing for Lockhart, or wishing to emulate his success with the ladies.
Do not gain points for valentines successfully sent.
Lose five points for valentines others avoided.
Do not block valentines received.
Earn five points for each valentine received.
Earn ten points if you tie for most valentines received.
Earn twenty points if you alone have the most valentines received.

Vote Tiebreakers

In the case of a tie vote, there are two possible tiebreakers:

1) Collective house points of the voters
2) Longest held vote

Schedule (all times BGG)

Midnight -- deadline for petrification orders and other nighttime special abilites.
Noon -- vote deadline.

Flavor

Feel free to add as much flavor as you like. Role-playing is encouraged, and most named roles should be able to go public at some point.

Whoever I decide has used the best flavor on any day will win an extra 5 points for his or her house.

He-who-must-not-be-named should NOT be named. If you utter the word Voldemort your fellows will regard you with shock and horror. Your house will be docked five points, and you will have an extra vote against you, unless you are Harry Potter.

Referring to You-know-who as "the Dark Lord" is also a very bad sign. It will also cost your house five points, unless you're in Slytherin house or are Draco Malfoy.

Courtesy

Please try to be polite as you accuse your fellow students of being evil, scum-sucking, murderers. Any meta-game threats or bribes ("you can off me next game if I'm lying", "I'll never play with you again", etcetera) will cost your house points. Insults directed at players *in your own house* will also cost your house points. Insults directed at the wizarding abilities of players in rival houses are tolerated. Insults directed at the werewolf-playing abilities of any other players will cost your house points.

Absences If a living player fails to exercise a special ability, it will be exercised randomly. If a living player fails to vote, their vote will be cast randomly. So don't skip the vote.

Signup list
Twenty witches or wizards are needed. In the event that one or more wizards or witches do not show up to be sorted, their place will be taken by another. I await your owls.

1) melissa (H)
2) Belash (R)
3) CapAp
4) seppi
5) xandryyte
6) GuyHill (R)
7) oilslider
8) 7ofAnn (G)
9) acekim (G)
10) Javal (G)
11) lauramath (S)
12) Luthien (H)
13) Beowulf (H)
14) rasattack
15) greek2me (R)
16) arkibet
17) Tarrant (R)
18) kuchick (S)
19) Vidarrr
20) Latria

Alternates:
1) SatanicEssence [S]
2) RoyalFlush
3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't read rules, but I'm in dale. Love the theme and love what you do with it!

Thanks for continuing the series!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Her Skeleton Will Lie in the Chamber Forever

If the holder of the diary discovers that he/she is the last evil person left (this can happen no earlier than Night Six), he may abandon petrification to bring a student down to the Chamber of Secrets IF Harry Potter is still in the game (and innocent). The holder may choose to bring an innocent down, or to bring himself down. The students will then vote, not for expelling anyone, but to determine whether the missing person is evil or good--Harry Potter's vote will count double. After the vote decides evil or good, Harry attempts a rescue:

If the missing person is innocent, and the vote decides good, the rescue is successful and the student is returned alive and safe.

If the missing person is innocent, and the vote decides evil, the rescue is unsuccessful and both student and potter are removed from the game.

If the missing person is evil, and the vote decides good, Potter is overcome by Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets. EVIL WINS.

If the missing person is evil, and the vote decides evil, Potter overcomes Riddle. GOOD WINS.

Sounds like great fun, and I'm in if you'll have me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I'd love to join in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta, it's Harry Potter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play! Can you put me in Ravenclaw, just like in Harry Potter I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oil Slider
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'll play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, pick me. Still in Gryffindor please.

I cannot resist a Harry Potter WW-game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for this theme. I'll play and try to behave.

GO GRYFFINDOR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Missive received by owl from Valarian Castle, Norfolk

Dear Dumbledale,

I have been increasingly distressed by reports of Hogwarts received from my beloved Johannes. He describes despicable behaviour on the parts of fellow students and, frankly, a complete break-down in discipline at your establishment.

While I had been aware that your personal idiosyncracies have been pandered to, in terms of admission to Hogwarts of wizards from the lower echelons of society, I was somewhat disturbed to hear that Johannes had been forced to mingle with these, and even with children of immediate Muggle descent. He has, however, been extremely tolerant of such exigencies, and even insists to his father and myself that he considers some to be his friends, though I trust that this is only sarcasm or youthful hyperbole.

Since I fear that in such a watered-down environment his education might likewise have suffered, I have arranged over the summer break for Johannes to receive supplementary tuition from one Professor Latyekov, recommended by his uncle, who, as you know, is the Ministry's ambassador to Moscow. The Professor has noted that Johannes is developing particular skills in charms, but comments that his abilities in Brews and Potions is sadly lacking. Between ourselves, Professor Latyekov suggested that your man Snape is plainly not of sufficient quality as a teacher; I trust you will take steps to improve matters.

Finally, I must touch on this absurd 'field trip' over the Christmas and Spring vacations with which you have seen fit to burden Johannes; I strongly object to such an imposition, though my son seems willing to bear the sacrifice with fortitude. Most specifically, I object to the secret nature of the expedition - how exactly am I expected to supply him with the appropriate provisions and clothing if I am not informed in good time where he will be travelling? The only documentation relating to the trips that I have found among Johannes' mail is a letter from some junior member of staff - Doctor? Professor? - Melissa. I would appreciate clarification from your office without delay.

Yours

Lady Gloriana Stratarya Valarian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Johannes, you're coming then? Gooooooood! Nice to have you back. cool

You want me to talk to your mother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letter awaiting collection, Hogwarts, Hufflepuff Common Room, opened in error

Melissa -

Just a quick note as can't take long before mother (aka Lady Valarian, she who must be evaded) returns!
Many thanks for the letter. I hid it among my books, and it took her all of 5 minutes to dig it out when I was away from my room. She has swallowed the whole story, so I shan't have to come back to Gloom Mansions at Christmas OR Spring vac. What a relief!
Have had dire tutor all summer, shall tell you more when term starts. Looking forward to returning to the fray.

Gotta go - dinner gong sounded. Father will curtail my allowance if I'm late. Really looking forward to the informality of Hogwarts.

Johannes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Count this Hufflepuff in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mb
I gotta quote Al Pacino from Godfather III for this:

Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in.

I have to play this. Go Hufflepuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Harry Potter game (the one that went to 91 pages) was the one that got me hooked on BGG Werewolf (first reading, and then playing my first game -- the recently-completed Narnia game) in the first place. And the timing of this one is just about right for my schedule.

I'd like to join, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
She-Hulk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh. Count me in please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
At some point I'll read the rules, but not now. Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.

That said, I think it's a tad unbalanced - for example, the "Her skeleton..." time, there is absolutely no reason for the good guys to vote anything but "evil". Voting "good" can mean "LOSE THE GAME" or "goody, one more innocent in the game". Voting "evil" means "WIN THE GAME" or "we just lose an innocent and HP".

Unless the good guys NEED that extra innocent, why risk losing the game by voting good when you can win it or just sacrifice a person or so by voting evil? Many of the events make me think like this.

T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
That said, I think it's a tad unbalanced - for example, the "Her skeleton..." time, there is absolutely no reason for the good guys to vote anything but "evil". Voting "good" can mean "LOSE THE GAME" or "goody, one more innocent in the game". Voting "evil" means "WIN THE GAME" or "we just lose an innocent and HP".

Unless the good guys NEED that extra innocent, why risk losing the game by voting good when you can win it or just sacrifice a person or so by voting evil? Many of the events make me think like this.

But the remaining evil player will know that, and so will almost certainly choose a good player to take down, because that way he gets rid of HP at the same time.

But since good will be aware of that possibility, they'll have to guess whether evil has decided to play it smart or take a gamble. And since evil is used to having people not trust them, I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you!

- Dread Pirate Robin arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions about the rules:

dalestephenson wrote:
THE EVENTS

A number of events from the book will happen during the course of the game, giving an opportunity to affect the search for Riddle's diary, or to earn house points. The event schedule is as follows:

Night 3 -- Double Kill

Double Kill

On night 4, two students sharing a mirror are petrified at once.

On which night does Double Kill happen: night 3 or night 4?

dalestephenson wrote:
Polyjuice Potion

If one of Harry Potter, Hermoine Granger, and Ron Weasley are alive, they will use the Polyjuice potion to learn the secrets of a group of players. They will learn if up to three other players are good or evil. The players must be in the same house, and must not include Harry, Hermoine, or Ron.

Does the number of Polyjuice targets depend on how many of Harry/Hermione/Ron are still alive? Or if (say) of the trio, only Harry Potter remains in the game, will he still be able to learn three students' localties with this?

Are loyalties revealed individually, or as an aggregate? E.g., "A is good, B is evil, C is good" -- or "Of A, B, and C, two are good and one is evil"?

If it's the former, I really see no reason for saying "up to" three other players, since good will have no reason at all to pick less than three targets.

Finally, a question about the diary. What if the diary-holder gets expelled: does the diary leave the game forever, taking away evil's only ability to petrify students? That seems quite unbalanced in favor of good. Or will the diary-holder be able to pass the diary to another evil player?

If the diary can be passed, it raises another whole host of questions. Such as:

When can the diary be passed: at the moment of expulsion, or some time (like an hour) before?

Can the diary be passed to any other evil player, or only to a player the diary-holder is aware of? If it can be passed only to players the holder is aware of, but the holder gets voted out on day 1, will the diary pass to someone else (chosen at random, presumably) automatically, or will it leave the game?

Will the new diary recipient be privy to Riddle's knowledge of other evils? If not, will he start to learn them again? On the same schedule as before, or a new schedule starting two nights after his receipt of the diary?

Those are just some of the questions I've come up with so far. I'm sure I'll think of more.

- Robin "Rules Lawyer" Munn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarrant wrote:
I'm in.

It's a fair criticism--looked at in that manner, it's just a way for a lone evil to get rid of the unkillable Harry Potter, assuming both evil and the players play conservatively. Depending on the position of the game, taking an innocent may well be game deciding -- the rescue attempt comes IN PLACE of the expel vote (lynch). If it's just an automatic innocent write off, that gives evil a KILL, HP REMOVAL, and a KILL before the next vote, which should improve the odds substantially. Similarly, an innocent rescue would confirm two innocents, and make the odds very long indeed. Perhaps I should also cancel the next night's attack in the case of an innocent rescue (injuries to the basilisk), to give more village incentive for voting good.

What other events make you think this way? I think both earlier games were tilted heavily towards good, I want this one to be more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmunn wrote:
A few questions about the rules:

dalestephenson wrote:
THE EVENTS

Night 3 -- Double Kill

Double Kill

On night 4, two students sharing a mirror are petrified at once.

On which night does Double Kill happen: night 3 or night 4?

Night 3. It happens before the visit to Aragog (night 4).

Quote:
dalestephenson wrote:
Polyjuice Potion

Does the number of Polyjuice targets depend on how many of Harry/Hermione/Ron are still alive? Or if (say) of the trio, only Harry Potter remains in the game, will he still be able to learn three students' localties with this?

It does not depend on how many survive. But if they spy on a house with only 4 people left, and Harry and Hermoine are in that house, they'll only learn about the remaining two. I anticipate it being a three-person seer view.

Quote:
Are loyalties revealed individually, or as an aggregate? E.g., "A is good, B is evil, C is good" -- or "Of A, B, and C, two are good and one is evil"?

If it's the former, I really see no reason for saying "up to" three other players, since good will have no reason at all to pick less than three targets.

Individually, so in practice you are correct. However, the results are ONLY given to the friends that remain. So hypothetically, if Harry Potter were evil, he could off Ron and Hermoine, get the results of the polyjuice potion by himself, find a future ally then "clear" someone else who he plans to petrify. So many possibilities.

Quote:
Finally, a question about the diary. What if the diary-holder gets expelled: does the diary leave the game forever, taking away evil's only ability to petrify students? That seems quite unbalanced in favor of good. Or will the diary-holder be able to pass the diary to another evil player?

The diary will be passed to another evil player.

Quote:
If the diary can be passed, it raises another whole host of questions. Such as:

When can the diary be passed: at the moment of expulsion, or some time (like an hour) before?

Can the diary be passed to any other evil player, or only to a player the diary-holder is aware of? If it can be passed only to players the holder is aware of, but the holder gets voted out on day 1, will the diary pass to someone else (chosen at random, presumably) automatically, or will it leave the game?

Will the new diary recipient be privy to Riddle's knowledge of other evils? If not, will he start to learn them again? On the same schedule as before, or a new schedule starting two nights after his receipt of the diary?

The diary is passed at the moment of expulsion. You'll find the person has a diary, but it will conveniently disappear. It will preferentially pass to another evil player the diary-holder knows, but if he doesn't know any it will pass to someone he does not know. The new diary holder will learn new evils on the same schedule as before.

Note that Dobby can also cause the diary to move. This follows the same rules -- to known evils first, then unknown evils.

You must get rid of all evils to win.

Quote:

Those are just some of the questions I've come up with so far. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Much better for the questions to come up now instead of after game start.

Edit: put rules answers in red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Fabulous
United States
Hillsborough/Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't miss the potter series..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are all fools!

I must step in and save the school...

Ravenclaw Vidarrr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.