Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
just finished reading Bill Brysons "The lost continent" and I thought "What an empty country!" (Im from Europe which has roughly the same size as the states, but much, much more people living in it, so the thought of driving for miles without coming to a town or even a village is pretty strange for me. Hm. i also lived in SE Asia for a year, which is of course even more crowded cool)

I wondered what it would be like to live in the US outside the big citys (i.e. in Nebraska) and try to play Boardgames. Do you have to drive far (over 3 hours)? Can you do "it" more often then twice a month? How do you recruit new people? And finally:
Who thinks he has the most remote gaming group / Has to travel the farest for a single game?

Im curious!
Regards,
Peer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've lived in rural America for most of my life. Driving an hour (~60 miles) for something like a game day would be no big deal for most people. It takes 20-30 minutes just to get to a grocery store from some of the places I've lived. You just get used to it after a while.

I live in the city now... I'm still willing to drive 120 miles or so for something if I deem it 'really exciting'. Not sure if that's a holdover from living in the country or not.

My dad has driven 30 minutes to an hour EACH WAY (not including traffic) to work for the last 30 years or so. Now that would get old. I don't know how he does it.

As for the US as a whole, there aren't that many states left where you'd have to drive 3 hours to get to a city large enough to have a game store or game group. Alaska, and a half-dozen of the western states. Most of the East Coast, West Coast, North and South are filled out pretty well by this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to live in Nebraska, albeit in Lincoln (one of the two "big cities" -- in Nebraska terms: pop ~150,000 or so -- the other being Omaha). Generally no problem finding half a dozen gamers in such aggregations, especially those including a university. Out in the sticks among the cattle and the rolling fields of grain, on the other hand, one might well be out of luck. What Eric M. says is true, though: I used to think nothing of driving 2-3 hours on a weekend to Lawrence KS or wherever for events of sufficient interest. I don't know that I'd still do it now at $2.50-a-gallon gas, however...

I'd have to say, though, that Maine (my current location) might be one of those few remaining East Coast places where good game shops or groups can feel several hours' drive away... With Montreal on one end, and Boston on the other, you could travel awful far before meeting anyone who's ever heard of EuroGames zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights!
Over 500 Km - Wow! (I always wanted to see alaska, so i will get an idea about that )

I guess yourre right, if you are used to the big spaces, it doesnt look as bad, as it does from my point of view (living in various big cities my whole life...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.