Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I like to design scenarios for ASLSK but I need a little help. Have some basic point value for the units? In the chapter H of the SK2 rule book is some guidelines (all BPV for the ordnance), but it would be a great help if somebody who knows it could write the BPVs for the SMCs/MMCs and SWs. (Like German 5-4-8 squad has a BPV of 13, etc.)

I like to play more german vs russian scenario, but in the SK1 are only two east front scenario, and in the SK2 is not at all

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Unfortunately, it's not that simple...

There are no BPV values for leaders or SW. They are assigned based on how many (and what type of) squads a side has. And with leaders, you then do a DR to try to upgrade one assigned leader to a higher level.

So in addition to all the squad BPVs, you would also need:

* the ELR Chart (nationality by year)
* the Bonus Infantry Chart
* the Leader Generation Number for each nationality
* the Leader Exchange Table
* the German-Finnish SW Allotment Chart
* the Russian SW Allotment Chart

...and the rules explaining how to use all of the above. In other words, you would need to get the ASL rulebook with the complete Chapter H rules.

However, two things to keep in mind:

(A) The Chapter H rules only generate a "typical" force, and few scenarios actually use a typical force.

"Le Manoir" from Paratrooper, for instance, has a German force of 3 Elite squads, 1 Elite HS, 9-1, 7-0, Hero, 2 HMGs, and 1 MMG defending a farmhouse against an overwhelming force of American paratroopers. There is no way to generate that German force using Chapter H, which says that 3.5 Elite German squads should only have one 8-0 and one LMG! The scenario designer simply created his own German force to make an interesting scenario.

(B) The entire Chapter H system is somewhat suspect in terms of how valid it is, particularly in terms of vehicle values... it is easy to find two vehicles with similar BPV's and usage dates, yet, in a given situation, one vehicle will be far more useful than the other. It's very difficult (if not actually impossible) to reduce the value of a vehicle to a single number that is always accurate when compared to other vehicles.

So while Chapter H is useful as a starting point, ultimately the scenario designer will have to make his own choices as to what is appropriate for his scenario.

You should not let the absence of the full Chapter H rules stop you from trying to design a scenario. Here are a couple of ideas to get you started:

The Germans should usually get one leader for every four squads they have, and the Russians should usually get one leader for every eight squads (these are the "Leader Generation Numbers"). Elite forces should have more leaders, conscripts fewer leaders.

To get some idea of what types of leaders, and the number & types of SW, to use, look at what has been done in other scenarios. You can download the scenarios from Streets of Fire (all German vs. Russian) from MMP's web site, and there are many other free ASL scenarios that can be downloaded from various sites. Just follow the links here on BGG.

And the only way to really balance a new scenario is to playtest it and make adjustments until it seems balanced.

If you design a scenario that is fun to play and reasonably balanced, it is doubtful that you will have any complaints from the players who use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Humm
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would be good is some scenarios using the Russian guns in SK#2 as we won't get any of those except for maybe some from Operations magazine or third parties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay: Huhh, this thing is not as simple as I thought. And thanks for the helpful answer. I ordered the ASL Rulebook. It was the last copy of IGUK.CO

Dave: I read somewhere on the net, that the next Operations magazine will not contain any Starter Kit article. Maybe in SK3 will be more russian-german scenario. I hope. (For me, the Eastern Front was always more interesting then the others.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Somoskôi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wrong.
Operations 48: NEW ASL Starter Kit Scenario.
Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.