Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Infernal and Ihscrutable Armors... Do both cards work similarly to Henry Highflyer Hawk in that they block all fire damage from two consecutive opponent plays? For example:

Vulca plays Flamebreath (7 fire).
Hoax plays Sarogakanas with Inscrutable Armor (1 fire).
Now Vulca has to match... They follow with Scorch the Inflammable (6 fire, not the smartest play). For the purposes of matching they've achieved their goal, but because the Inscrutable is still active all the fire damage is still blocked and the Hoax player has to match 0 fire in response.

Is that the correct way to play the Armor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The key is to remember that once a character/booster is covered, it is no longer active. Thus, after the Vulca player plays Scorch, the Hoax player must match 6 fire. The order of the phases is important. You do not announce power until after all of your leadership phase, character, booster and support cards are played. At that point the Inscrutable armor booster is covered and the Hoax player must match the 6 power of the Vulca.

Note that Hank Highflyer Hawk works the same way. Let's say the fight is in eartch Flit play Hank + a 3 earth booster. The other player must play a character (which will be ignored) and boosters/supports worth a total of at least 3 earth. Let's say the other player is Terrah and plays Tecton Earthshaker (7 earth) + a 3 earth booster. Mission accomplished. Now the flit, at the end of their turn, must match 10 earth, since by then Hank will be covered up and no longer active and the Terrah character is no longer ignored.

It's a tricky timing situation, but very important to understand as playing it wrong can really throw off the balance of the game. Note this ALSO effects things like Pillar Caterpillar boosters (i.e. by the end of your booster/support phase you must discard X fire/earth or retreat). If the Flit play the character that ignores special power text, their opponent can STILL play a Caterpillar and have a chance that it will be effective, since by the end of the Flit's booster/support phase that character may well be covered up and thus no longer active (unless they retrieve it and are able to play it again, so there is some risk) and the caterpillar's special power text will be in effect once again.

I hope this helped (and that I am remembering correctly).

Jeff K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
okay, now I'm a bit confused. Check out this thread, specifically my response at the end and Kilrah's response to me.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/20506

There I specifically asked about HHH's ability to ignore two consecutive characters during the time he's active and was told that's how it works. I'll have to browse the FAQ a bit again (and reread your response - I'm at work right now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, a further response - I'm on lunch break.

What's throwing me off is this: say I throw Flamebreath (7/0) and you throw HHH in response. HHH is now the active character and Flamebreath is ignored. When I throw another character, as far as I could tell it too was ignored because HHH is still your active character. This ends during the character phase on your turn, when you play a new character card and finally cover HHH.

I figured it worked the same way with either Armor card. If you play a character with Inscrutable Armor as a response to a character I play, not only does the Armor ignore any fire damage from the character you responded to, but it would also ignore fire damage from the character I respond with next, because the character you played Inscrutable on is still your active character until your turn.

Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concerning HHH you're correct,
but shields don't work like HHH.

rules wrote:
Shield:
You do not have to match your opponent’s total power when announcing your power. Cards depicting a shield behind their fire or earth value defend against your opponent’s total power in this element, irrespective of the size of his power. The number in the shield contributes towards your own announced total power as usual. – Shields allow you to reduce the total power in the fight.

Shields do only work in your "Announce Power"-phase,
but not during your opponents "Announce Power"-phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
okay, now I'm a bit confused. Check out this thread, specifically my response at the end and Kilrah's response to me.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/20506

There I specifically asked about HHH's ability to ignore two consecutive characters during the time he's active and was told that's how it works. I'll have to browse the FAQ a bit again (and reread your response - I'm at work right now).

That thread appears to support my response. Check out Christopher Dearlove's response:

Here was the question:
Quote:
Player I
Plays character [3] + booster [2].
Combined power [5].

Player II
Plays "Hank Highflyer Hawk", and ignores player I's character. He also plays a booster [3].
His attack [3] wins over the power [5]-[3]=[2] that player I has left.

Player I
Has to equal [3] with boosters and/or supports, he plays a character [3] + booster [3].
Zijn character is still being ignored by "Hank Highflyer Hawk" so his total attack is worth [3].

Player II
Plays character [5].
As soon as he plays it though, "Hank Highflyer Hawk" gets covered.

Thus question 1:
Does player I now have [6] power instead of [3]?

And Dearlove's response was,
Quote:
Does player I now have [6] power instead of [3]?

Yes.

That seems pretty straightfoward to me.

Jeff K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
No. The key is to remember that once a character/booster is covered, it is no longer active.

In fact even that isn't necessary. Shields are relevant only at one point, normally when you declare your power you must be matching your opponent's power. But if you have a shield (in the current element) you do not have to match it - read the rules, it's the first line of the shield rules. Shields don't reduce your opponent's power to zero, it remains what it was. Hank Highflier Hawk is quite different.

I see an FAQ coming on. And for the nit-pickers out there, the shield has one continuing effect - it is an icon, and hence Mad Mike Magpie affects the card with a shield (relevant to mutants and Wild Unicorn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way of putting this is that an Ignored card is not Inactive. Cards that are ignored by HHH only remain ingnored while he is Active, but they are not Inactive because HHH is in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm home from work and just glanced at the rulebook and think I have this figured out. Shields are only for use when matching an opponent's power. When played, you no longer have to match their power, allowing you to follow up with a character card containing any power you like. Once you've done this and your turn ends, the shield no longer has any effect and your opponent then has to match your total power.

No matter how many times I've looked at the rulebook, I still end up having "duh" moments where I have to consult it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.