Subject: First learning games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
Got the game for my nephew for Christmas. We played three games over the festive period so I have mangled them into a single session report. Players were nephew 1 (aged 12), nephew 2 (aged 13) and myself on the first learning game. Ditto the second full game and added one brother-in-law and two neices (aged 15 and 16) for the third game. All Wow online veterans (except me).

I wasn't totally familiar with the rules so the first game went pretty slow as we tried to get a handle on what we were doing. I taught it by giving a few simple explanations then started playing. e.g. explained about actions and moving but didn't go into detail of an action until someone attempted to do one. We called the game after an hour or so so I could actually read through the rule book properly and get a handle on the vauge bits (though we still played resting incorrectly after this).

Second go through was a full game. It went pretty well and the game turned out not to be as complicated as it first appeared. After a break I decided to finish the game by taking on Nefarion with a level 5 Shaman and level 4 Hunter. Thrashed it quite resoundingly (I was expecting to die to hand a victory of soughts to my nephews).

A rematch was planned and bought in the extra players. I teamed up with the neices and we were Alliance. I was the priest this time, teamed up with a Druid and Warrior. The horde were a Warlock, a Rogue and a Hunter. Everyone picked things up quite quickly and the game was a lot of fun. I tried to keep things moving by getting people to overlap their turns where possible and not prevaricate too much on talent and power selections.

The Alliance lagged behind the Horde from the off and we were consistently a level behind. The Horder players seemed to be able to take out cretures very effectively especially the rouge with his attrition finishing move. Unfortunatley time was pressing so we decided to end the game prematurely in a deadly PvP when both sides were level 3. I was quite surprised how that turned out as the Horde characters were not so good in a drawn out PvP battle. Their high attrition was nullified by the armour tokens the alliance were rolling and their high energy cost (but deadly) powers were soon spent. The alliance had some great team abilities (e.g. improved battleshout) so prevailed narrowly in the combat.

Everyone enjoyed it and it looks like it will be a hit. Hopefully it will get played without me explaining the rules as I live 300 miles away. I would rate the game an 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.