Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wanted to give some constructive criticism to Eagle games. First of all, I love this game. Having two separate and excellent games in one box, and with the quality bit, for only $60 is wonderful. Each game is simple and elegant; a big game without being too long, yet meaty.

However, we played the COtE:II for the first time last night and we really struggled with a couple of the rules. For a game that really isn't that complicated, I was disappointed that we had to slow down our game to hash some things through. And it was because of how the rules were layed out. The Campaign Season and Round order of events was a minor nuisance; an initial turn listing showing where you go through your rounds would have been really helpful. But the biggie was where they explained the Senate Vote cards. Where it is located in the rule book made us assume that it was done at the end of the campaign season and that the cards were not up for sale until the end. Shouldn't they have been a sub-section of the Conquest cards? We basically had to start over after our first campaign season was over, and it really frustrated a few in my group to the point of me not being sure some of them will try it again. Some might brush that off but I don't have a big gaming group and first impressions are huge if I want to get a game replayed.

Now, had I read through and analyzed the rules ahead of time, perhaps solitaring the game myself yes, I might have been better off. But at the same time, had the rules been more clear...

Still love the game, though, Eagle--it's my favorite of yours so far. But I did want to encourage extra effort in the rules writing.

Anyone else have difficulty with these?

Regards,

Casey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is one of the only games my group has played where I hadn't run through the rules ahead of time, and we didn't have that problem. (But we were all pretty impatient to start playing, and we're pretty relaxed about waiting to read specific rules until we're ready to use them.) So the layout worked pretty well for us.

One thing I remember being puzzled by were cities--they weren't listed among the pieces in the first part of the rulebook, so when later rules (land combat, etc.) mentioned them, we figured it was a mix-up with the Classic rules, and we ignored it. Then a city card came up, and it made sense. Having a few sentences about cities in the first part of the rulebook would have helped that.

The other thing which was slightly puzzling was, we weren't positive that you were supposed to run through four turns each campaign season. I don't remember why we were unsure about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, come to think of it the city thing did confuse me. We NEVER had a city card come out our first game and I remember thinking about what the benefit militarily would be for a city (There isn't one in this game, is there?) All sorts of crossover from the other game came to mind and I found myself wondering what the purpose of catapults and cavalry were since they do nothing significant in COtE:II, even though the rules say no army is complete without one. I guess I am having trouble jumping from a simulation game (the first rule set) to an abstract because of the beautiful pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Chef
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I got the game tonight and had the exact same thing happen where we couldn't understand the CotE2 rules and had to restart after playing through our first season when we realized we'd screwed up. The rules are not organized that well and boring to read; we had to read and reread them and then explain them to the other players in plain English in abbreviated form multiple times for our group to finally "get" it and we aren't dummies, either. Figuring out how to play ended up taking so long that we couldn't even complete the game. We only made it through our second season (after the forced restart) before everyone got too tired to play anymore. After everyone went home, I reread the rules and it turned out we were still making a few mistakes here and there. There's just so much stuff to remember that it makes this game borderline too complicated for us. We'll give it another shot, but may have to switch to the classic rules instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm sorry to see that others are struggling. Thankfully, that doesn't appear to be an overwhelming factor for most. I finally got to play it again yesterday, and still struggled with the rules explaining it this time. I had a more patient group this time, and experience helped so it worked. But this isn't a very complicated game. Someone rewrite the rules well and put them in the new boxes. Oh, and player aid cards would be nice, as well.

Really enjoy the game though. Eagle is on a roll with this and Railroad Tycoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.