Subject: New USA strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Kazumoto
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Don't know if anyone else has tried this, but I highly suggest the following strategy for playing the USA:

Ever wondered how to get the sleeping giant to wake up just a bit faster?

Forget Sinkiang, Heavy Bombers, or transports.

Your new objectives are as follows:
-Establish an IC in Norway
-Get long range fighters
-Get combined bombardment
-build up fighters and send them to norway.
-put tanks into norway. lots of tanks.

obviously, the focal point is establishing a presence in europe early. an IC can be built in norway by the end of turn 3. depending on what germany does or sees, he may or may not attempt to stop you, but with russia and the UK agreeing to fortify, it's unlikely you'll be stopped.

once the IC is established, continually crank out three tanks per turn, using your remaining money to research tech, and build fighters and destroyers.

go for the long range fighers first, since doing this will allow you to fly your planes from eastern u.s. to norway in one move. bombardement is mainly useful against japan, which conincidentally, is whom you will building up your destroyers for.

deploy your destroyers off of Los Angeles and build up a stack. elminate the japanese navy with these destroyers and any fighters you may have in the pacific. carriers are unecessary now with long range fighters.

As germany begins to crumble from the threat of a reinforced USSR and a UK which can primarily focus on navy and building up it's airforce now that the US is so closeby, build a couple of transports in the pacific.
load these up with the original infantry on the mainland, one man per boat.

as soon as germany falls, move your fighters to the pacific theater, build an IC in shanghai and build nothing but destroyers and transports.

blockade Japan and every turn land one infantry unit into japan as a sacrificial lamb so that you can do your bombardment from destroyers. don't fly any of your planes in or assault with anything else. just bombard every turn, losing your 1 infantry unit. I had a stack of about 20 destroyers bombarding Japan to smithereens. when japan is all but empty, fly your planes in and do the amphibious assult right. Cackle triumphantly. You have just won the war for the allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cree dawg
United States
hell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
If you apply pressure from russia in the southernmost territories then you will be taking heat off of the ic in norway. Dont bother with the long range aircraft, your fighters will get there soon enough and it will just be a waste of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wesley chang
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I don't mean to sound mean, but this strategy is not optimal at all.

Researching any tech, first of all, is inefficient. You can roll 9 tech rolls (45 IPCs!! that's a lot!) and still have about 20% of NOT achieving the tech. You propose rolling for 2 techs. You would easily be spending in the neighborhood of 60+ IPCs to get both of your techs on average.

Second, I don't know how you could afford to buy the units that you propose buying. 3 tanks in Norway (15 IPCs) 1 destroyer (12 IPCs) and 1 fighter (10 IPCs)is about all you could afford every turn. That's an extremely slow buildup against Japan, and not much to look at againt Germany. It's not a good idea to split your effort like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kazumoto
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
60 IPCs to get two techs? try actually rolling for techs with dice for once, and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. remember, you can also get two techs for 10 IPCs. It's all luck. and secondly, techs are designed for the US and Germany principally. The idea is to give the US the upper hand come turn 4 or later in the game. There is nothing that can really get the US into the game quickly while making much of an impact. You've got to keep the Axis powers worried about the US's eventual domination of the board. If you piss away your resources fighting smaller battles just to keep them in check, you'll find yourself in a stalemate if your playing with decent players at all.

you guys aren't thinking about the big picture.

the USA has tons of cash and no immediate threat.
you don't have to throw gobs of money at research every turn, but the US, if any player, can afford to spend 5-10 ipcs per turn on research and still be very effective.

Japan will not attack the US if the US is not aggressive towards it, and certainly not while the US can steadily amass a fleet by building a destroyer per turn off of LA.

Norway will not be attacked after placing tanks and fighters with reinforcemtns from UK and or Russia.

You won't be spreading yourself thin, but rather building up an insurmountable force in two areas: Norway and LA. This works because:

A) Any attack on mainland US by Japan would be seen a turn before it can happen, giving you a chance to build up if necessary, or move your new fleet of destroyers to block. If Japan decides to attack your destroyers using everything they've got, you will again see it coming and can shift focus to building nothing but navy off of LA. On the Atlantic, your presence in norway will have allowed the UK to focus on Navy and elminate the German invasion threat. With the german navy destroyed, and with it any chance of a UK invasion or ventures into africa, the german player is forced to concentrate on russia and the presence of the US and UK through the Scandanavian pipeline. at that point you have all three allies fighting a land war against germany. If Japan decides to come to the resscue by fighting it's way through the mainland, the US can fly it's fighters to bolster the russian defenses or fortify india.

B)the snowball effect. by turn 4 or 5, the destroyer group off of LA and the norway divisions will be massive and ever-increasing, to the point where the Axis will begin to prepare for the eventual attack, which means going into defensive mode, rather than attacking. the great thing about this is that you really don't have to attack at all, you can simply build indefinitely while your allies grow stronger from the defensive manuevering of the Axis. this fear of the evergrowing snowball will ultimately lead to germany's destruction and with it, the fall of Japan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its wayyyyyy too slow. By the time you get any kind of pressure on the Germans, they will have figured out your strategy and start switching to defensive measures (like buying lots and lots of infantry). Meanwhile, Japan is running loose in the pacific since its can easily match your one-Destroyer-a-turn buy with some fleet purchases of its own and still leave money to get to ground on the Asia mainland, Australia and even Africa.

It is way too dangerous to give either Japan or Germany too much room. Granted, its not easy to apply pressure to Japan but if the US doesn't apply any kind of pressure then Japan will run roughshot across the Pacific theatre, gobbling up lots and lots of resources and denying them to the Allies. Meanwhile, your assault on Germany is stalling because you are simply not producing enough troops to invade Germany.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cree dawg
United States
hell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I just played with the allies and I did this with great success. I landed my UK units on algeria and then put my americans there. next turn I landed in norway and the next turn I had placed an IC. As long as UK can help you out a little, norway could be a very important strategic point for the allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Björnham
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
Rook wrote:
60 IPCs to get two techs? try actually rolling for techs with dice for once, and i think you'll be pleasantly surprised. remember, you can also get two techs for 10 IPCs. It's all luck.

Of course you will end up spending 60 IPC in avarage for two techs. You will need 6 rolls for each tech which gives 30 IPC per teach. It is very expensive to roll for teachs so it should be avoided. I can seldomly see that it is worth to spend IPCs on teachs for any country anytime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kazumoto
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Surre wrote:

I can seldomly see that it is worth to spend IPCs on teachs for any country anytime.

Have you played a game when germany has heavy bombers?

have you played a game where your opponent bombards you with 12 destroyers every turn, while only losing 1 infantry?

These are just a few reasons to develop tech.

Averages are just that. AVERAGES. You could theortetically never ever get techs and spend every freakin IPC you got on them, but at the same time it's just as likely that you roll one dice and get your tech. I never said spend 30 ipcs. I said spend 5-10 and see if you get it.

no matter how many times you roll the dice, your odds are still 1/6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cree dawg
United States
hell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I usually spend 10 bucks for 2 rolls, which means I should barely hit anything, but you know what? I hit the tech more times than not, you know why? Its all luck, so you can put your statistics on rolling for techs or rolling in battle, but guess what, sometimes you should take chances. First off, it could really go your way and give you a great atvantage. Second off, it makes the game ALOT funner.
You see, I'm the kind of guy that would take 5 infantry against 5 armor cuz I know that there is a chance of winning. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose, but I win alot more than the statistics say I should. I'm silly like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.