Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's an quick and easy statistic to calculate for those of us who get into such things. Take your top 10 games as listed on your profile, look up the weight rating for each game and post the average on this thread.

My preferred "game weight" is 3.41.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
My average is 2.08. While I like some heavier games like El Grande, T&E, and Goa, my favorites tend to lean toward the lighter side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Mamula
United States
Oakmont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Most of my favorites fall in the mid 3s. Now, if I were to average out the games that get played most often, the number would be much less as lighter games make it to the table more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trenton
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit personal, but I'm 70 kg.

Oh, you mean game weight! 2.32 here...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Like others, my favorites don't make it to the table as often as I'd like.

#1: Princes of Florence, The
#2: Goa
#3: Taj Mahal
#4: Traders of Genoa, The
#5: Age of Steam
#6: Amun-Re
#7: Tikal
#8: China
#9: Maharaja: Palace Building in India
#10: Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 2.68 average for me.

Highest = Wallenstein (3.36); lowest = Hoity Toity (1.86)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The average gameplay weight of my 10 favorite games is 2.803. They are:
#1: Euphrat & Tigris
#2: Carcassonne
#3: Through the Desert
#4: Princes of Florence, The
#5: Amun-Re
#6: San Marco
#7: Torres
#8: Puerto Rico
#9: Settlers of Catan, The
#10: Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mean = 2.21 here. Median = 2.00. Only two games > 3.00 (Power Grid and A Game of Thrones)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Butler
United States
Marshall
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stas wrote:
Now, if I were to average out the games that get played most often, the number would be much less as lighter games make it to the table more often.

Me too. In fact, the average weight of my 10 most frequently played games (which has only four overlaps with my top ten) is only 2.54.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Harris
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2.363 which is kind of low, can I still come to this site?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
My average is 2.70, thanks to having two 1.96 games in my top 10 (Die Sieben Siegel & Spades). This just reminds me that I need to adjust my Top 10, because Spades has dropped right off the chart.

The heaviest game on my Top 10 was Goa, at 3.51.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.87. My lowest was Oh No, There Goes Tokyo (which I think is heavier than 2.25, but oh well) and my highest was Downtown (4.60) which is a hard game unless you know how to play. Then it gets a lot easier. I am the only one who rated Pax Romana (a 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Having revised my Top 10, I've raised my average by .09 points, to a 2.79.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is 2.77, although for that to mean anything, I guess you have put plenty of faith into the average weight ratings, which I don't think I do (yet). Magic: The Gathering has 3.06 vs. Call of Cthulhu CCG with 2.53? That doesn't seem to make sense -- I think CoC is much weightier overall than Magic. Swapping those two ratings would make more sense to me. Same goes for King's Cribbage (1.40) vs. Carcassonne (1.83). King's Cribbage is more similar to Scrabble (2.13), although a bit less weighty, I would say. Again, I'd believe it more if King's Cribbage and Carcassone were swapped. These 2 data points make me suspect the more popular games have higher averages because more peole rate them, but I'm not sure why that would be....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Walker
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This could be seen as off topic, (please delete if you wish) but there's scope here for a 'BMI' or Boardgame Mass Index.

(At this point tongue is firmly placed in cheek)
Take the physical weight in grams and divide by the 'game weight'.

Games with a very high score (lots of physical weight, but light on game play) may be seen as 'not worth the bother' whereas low score games (physically light but heavy game play) could be seen a having a lot of gaming value.

Anyone willing to weigh some games (marble chess sets and similar outsize bits aren't allowed)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.09 for my FAVORITE games, but 1.42 for the ten games that I PLAY most often - such is the life of a mom!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is 2.99.
Pente, Tikal, Magic: The Gathering, Puerto Rico, Through the Desert, Goa, Taj Mahal, Princes of Florence, Zertz, & Amun-Re.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
2.91. Which is interesting, since the closest any of my top 10 games get to 2.91 is Fresh Fish, at 3.33. My average deviation is .82...

You know, I've never looked at the weight data; having now done so, I'm inclined to go back to ignoring it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb

It was interesting comparing the ratings. For instance, Liberty rates a 2.50, which is probably right on when compared with other war games, which I imagine are the type of people who rate it.

However, many Euros, which are much simpler, rate much higher in weight, probably due to the population rating them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't have 10 yet but for what I do have I weigh in at 3.24

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ross
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3.25... with Caylus being my heaviest (3.7). Most my games were right around the same weight though (that's probably why they're all on my top 10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:

It was interesting comparing the ratings. For instance, Liberty rates a 2.50, which is probably right on when compared with other war games, which I imagine are the type of people who rate it.

However, many Euros, which are much simpler, rate much higher in weight, probably due to the population rating them.

I found the same thing in my research. I'm a 2.95, with my lightest game being Blokus at 1.82 and my heaviest being Age of Steam at 4.07. The interesting thing is that that my second heaviest game is Paths of Glory at 4.06, which I consider to be considerably heavier than Age of Steam. As you say, I guess it all depends on the people rating the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wendt
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.81..... Oh dear I'm a 10 pound weakling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.