BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Special "rules" section? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Whaley
United States
California
flag msg tools
In reading many reviews, I see numerous comments like "I won't rehash the rules of this game, they're available on BGG." Where on BGG are they available? In other reviews? Or is there a convention for a specific place where rules are listed? I know the rules can be discussed in the "rules" subforum in the game listing, is this what they mean?

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
While some reviews and session reports are so detailed, they could substitute for the rules, comments like those are usually referring to either web links or files.

The file section only lists the most recently submitted files. Often the rules are one of the first files submitted for a game and are only seen when you click on show me all files, or something close to that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just go to the game you need rules for Ken. About 1/2 way down the page you'll see a section called files. You can either open the file by clicking on it to read it, or right click on the name and select download. To reiterate what Brian said, if you don't see it listed, directly underneath the list of files is often a link to "More Files...". The only reason for that is to save space.

Often, you'll also find other things like player aids (references that will help you learn a game or serve as a rules at a glance) and variants on the rules.

Welcome to our community and good gaming to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Whaley
United States
California
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
Just go to the game you need rules for Ken. About 1/2 way down the page you'll see a section called files. You can either open the file by clicking on it to read it, or right click on the name and select download. To reiterate what Brian said, if you don't see it listed, directly underneath the list of files is often a link to "More Files...". The only reason for that is to save space.

Often, you'll also find other things like player aids (references that will help you learn a game or serve as a rules at a glance) and variants on the rules.

Welcome to our community and good gaming to you!

Ah, I see now, I didn't know about "more files"...thanks! This is a great site, Santa (and Father Frost, we have two Christmasses in our house since my wife is Russian) was good to us this year, thanks to the detailed reviews and photos available on this cite, we're now enjoying playing Carcassonne: the City, Pirate's Cove, Settlers, Memoir '44, and I'm looking forward to our Ticket To Ride: Europe, Alhambra, Loot, San Juan, etc. games as well. We're blessed with a nearby FLGS with a knowledgeable games geek on staff who knows about BGG and their inventory seems to match all the highly rated gateway games and heavier games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.