Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I've played A&A 50 or 60 times but I've never played it as Germany, untill now...

My friends and I always chose teams by random and somehow I always ended up with one of the allies so I got surprised when I saw that it was time for me to order the Panzers. I felt how my blood started to boil as my Finnish and German genes got aware of the situation.

Only two of us had played the game before and the other played ended up with the Russians. We emediatly started to make up strategies and inform our allies of our ingenious plans.

The Soviet, being first, built a mixtures of infatry and tanks and spread out it forces, hoping that it would make the German concentrate his advance instead of attacking everywhere at once. Unfourtunetly for him I wasn't aware of his plan...

I bought infantry and artillery for all my resources, aware of the problem of getting enough reinforcements to the front. In my offensive phase I attacked Egypt, Karelia, Archangelsk and Caucasus. I also attacked the Brittish Battleship in the Med. All battles were won with acceptable losses. I cashed in 50 production points and smiled liked a devil as I watched the allies tremble with fear devil

Britan, certain of the fact that the Germans had to be defeated first if the allies were going to win this war, built a IC in South Africa. The Royal navy rallied in the North sea and hoped that by doing so it would trap the Kriegsmarine in the baltic sea. I had only left a small force in France, which made it irresistable for the Britsh player and he launched an all out assault on france, and barely managed to take the region. The infatry in Persia marched to India and hoped that it would scare of the Japs, but India wasn't part of our plan...

Normally I think that it is a bad idea to attack the US fleet at Hawaii but this time I felt that I had scared the allies enough to force the US player to focus on Europe instead of the pacific. Japan built an IC in Shanghai and ingored both Russia and India, focusing his forces on China and on the US fleet. The fleets that didn't participate in the battle at Hawaii began moving north to the coast of Japan. All battles were won and the only losses were that of a Submarine.

The U.S. player really wanted to avange his fleet at Hawaii but he couldn't gather enough forces to attack, so started to build a new fleet as well as sending some troops to Africa. The U.S. player were dividing his resources between two fronts, just as we had hoped that he would arrrh

The Soviet built tanks and infantry and attacked the Germans in Archangelsk, West Russia and Caucasus, winning all battles but with heavy losses, leaving a weak defense. I was so going to enjoy this...

I had lost two tanks during the Russian counter attacks so I build two new ones togheter with a horde of infantry and some artillery. My first priority was to "liberate" France and continue the push into the Soviet territory. With the U.S. presence in Africa I decided to evacuate most of my troops and use them in the new offensive on Caucasus. I managed to gather up two massive forces and attacked Caucasus and Archangelsk, winning both battles with ease. There was only and artillery and a tank left in France and I destroyed them with ease. The Russian troops in West russia didn't bother me so I decided to leave them alone. I had two tanks left in Africa and instead of attacking the US player I decided to Blitz down towards South Africa, freaking up the British player whom had just built an IC there.

Britain built tanks and bombers, hoping that it would be the road to victory. The tanks were placed in South africa to defend the IC. The infantry from Trans-Jordan was sent to liberate Egypt and trapping the German Panzers that had advanced south.

Japan, with its new IC in Shanghai, built tanks, infantry and artillery and prepared for the next phase of our plan. This time Japan attacked Sinkiang and Buryatia, opening two fronts to the Russians. The entire fleet got pulled back to Japans eastern coast.

The U.S. player didn't want to leave a single tank in Egypt since the German player could attack the region with two panzers, som Messerscmitts and and some infantry so he decide that Libya would have to be enough. Most resources where used to buy more ships to the pacific fleet but some were spent on bombers that should help Britain in Europe. No other attacks were made.

Round three.

Soviet decided to make two new attacks, hoping to liberate Caucasus and Archangelsk. Hoping that the attacks would be successful, the Soviet player decided to build tanks for all his resources, giving him some much needed fire power as well as some units with more reach. With two breaches in the eastern fronts, it was vital to bring in some heavy support. Unfortunetly for the Russians, the Attack on Caucasus failed, leaving the Germans with a functional IC in enemy territory.

Using my fleet in the baltic sea, I had manahe to speed up the reinforcements on their way to Karelia. I had more the enough troops there to take back Archangelsk and by using my troops in Ukraine, Belorussia and Caucasus I liberated West Russia as well. My tanks in Africa recaptured Egypt and were glad to see that the southern passage to Caucasus had been deserted. My fleet in the Med moved in som infantry to Caucasus from Italy and I built tanks in my newly aquired IC. I had three large armies on the border to Moscow...

Britain felt that things had gone from bad to worse. The tanks in South Africa began chasing the German Panzers and the fleet in the Indian Ocean moved to the red sea, hoping that it would manage to sink one of the German ships in the Med. The troops in Australia had managed to capture New Guinea but it felt as a small victory compared to the axis campaigne.

Japan, appreciating the lack of resistance, attacked India, Kazakstan, Novosibirsk, Soviet Far East and Yaktuskt and won all battles losing only a single infatry. Two destroyers were added to the Japanese fleet in case the Americans decided to do something stupid. Soviet, now having five enemy armies encircling the Capital began discussing the terms of surrender.

The U.S. player couldn't attack Japan since his fleet was to far away and the fleet in the atlantic was to small to carry a big enough force to Europe or Africa. The war was over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Goteri
Italy
Moncalieri (To)
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the allies just got afraid in this game!
For instance the Russian didn't make any strike in the first turn... This is a BIG mistake according to me (the best difence is offence in many situations), Russia has enough strenght to wipe out almost 1 territory to Germany in the 1st turn!
The first idea for Stalin must be ...SURVIVE!
So it's important to built just infantry at the beginning ...nothing else! (it seems that moscow built too many T-34 early in the game)
shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree. Russia do got the forces needed to attack West Russia, but spreading out their limited number of troops is not worth the extra income that an attack might provide. Russia will still lose West Russia, Leningrad and Caucasus and since the Germans didn't attack Archangelsk they'll have stronger forces present in the regions they did attack then they would have had otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimo Goteri
Italy
Moncalieri (To)
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... the Russian player can take West Russia very easily in the 1st turn (it's a salient very difficult to keep for Germany) in this way the distance from Moscow increase by 1... with 4 reinforcements Caucasus is quite sure because there's also Anti Aircraft there... is a big risk for Luftwaffe at the beginning of the game!
You invaded also Egypt on turn 1 so you probably used some fighters in the Mediterranean (otherwise you made a very strange & lucky attack in Africa without planes)

Probably a more offensive approach by the Allies should stop your multifront-advance in Europe + Africa.
This is my opinion...

Bye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McCormick
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have to agree. Russia has to keep Germany off balance. It's not a question of winning resources, but keeping Germany from concentrating their forces close to Moscow. West Russia is important to this plan, as are limited counter offensives to keep the Germans guessing and unable to bring their full weight to bear. A British landing in Norway is also effective in this regard, to tie up reinforcements before they get to head East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.