Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report: San Juan 4 player with variant

Players: Keng Ho, Sng, James, Terence (in player order)

All the players finally arrived at my place and we were able to officially kick off our Friday evening gaming session. Sng pulled put his San Juan, which Keng Ho seconded as a warm up. All the players were familiar with the rules, having played it at previous sessions, although Sng introduced a variant involving dealing the 2nd to 4th players additional cards. Essentially the 1st to 4th player were dealt 4,5,6,7 cards respectively. Some confusion arose as to whether the players kept all the cards they were dealt or kept 4 and returned the excess. To my recollection, it was the latter, although Sng was quite sure of the former. In any case, since it was his cards and his variant, I didn’t force. The fact that I was the last player and benefited the most from this variant had absolutely nothing to do with it, of course.

The game progressed quickly, and I was able to build a smithy, a silver mine, a well, then an aqueduct. After that, I never looked back and racked up a total of 4 silver mines and a couple of indigos and capped it off with the Guildhall (of course). When I ended the game, the others were only on their 7th or 8th building and we didn’t have to count the points to discern the winner. In any case…

Final Score: Keng Ho 18, Sng 22, James 19, Terence 32.

Although I would love to credit my skill, it was probably the 7 card starting hand and some good luck with the cards that led to the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.