Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
RPG Geek Rocks!
badge
Mystic
mbmbmbmbmb
Session Report: Phoenix with Gladys (first play)

Players: Gladys, Terence

I recently bought this game on the strength of the reviews on BGG and couldn’t wait to try it out with my wife, Gladys. That evening, I pulled it out, pored over the rules for all of 5 minutes and started a game with my wife.

It was quite difficult to wrap my mind around how to use the various cards to rearrange my sequence to match the spectrum and there was quite a bit of analysis paralysis on my part…’should I play this card, then this?’ ‘no wait, how about this combination…’ ‘No? then…’ You get the idea. Eventually I managed to complete my sequence first, scoring the rainbow bonus (for having all the colours of the spectrum), as did Gladys.

Round 1: Terence (9) / Gladys (4)

After the warm up, my wife really got into the swing of things and returned the favour. We both scored the rainbow bonus and I scored the 3 in a row bonus

Round 2: Terence (6) / Gladys (9)

In the third round, I had a very bad initial draw and Gladys easily completed her sequence while I was struggling with my cards. My only consolation was the rainbow bonus.

Round 3: Terence (4) / Gladys (5)

Final Score: Terence (19) / Gladys (18)

Gladys was clearly very excited by this game and wants to play it again. I think Phoenix has officially replaced Colouretto as the ‘wife game’ in my household.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.