Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay The wife got me a nice gift voucher to a local bricks and mortar game shop
But which game should I buy from the following shop list? and more importantly why?
Best reasoning and advice wins 5 GG Thanks for any tips ......

Attika

Boomtown

China

Goa

Mystery of the abbey

Niagara

Oltremare

Louis XIV

Reef encounter

Saint Petersburg

Struggle Of Empires

Game of Thrones

Powergrid

Bunny nibbles his nails as he ponders......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to recommend Reef Encounter. You seem to like the brain burners (based on the games you've rated most highly). That right there narrowed it to Power Grid and Reef Encounter, from my POV. But Reef Encounter, as far as I can tell, has a higher level of player screwage. So...go with Reef Encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Game of Thrones. Here's why: First, most of the other games on the list seem to be Euro styled, Wargames, or Auction games exclusively. Game of Thrones is a wargame, but also has many elements of Euro games, Auction games, Diplomacy etc. Out of all the games listed (that I've played), this has the most variation in terms of mechanics. Also, it can easily be played with 2-5 players. With 2 players, each player can control multiple houses, and it only gets better all the way up to 5 players. Also, the expansions add more replayability to this title moreso than some others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
I'm going to recommend Reef Encounter. You seem to like the brain burners (based on the games you've rated most highly). That right there narrowed it to Power Grid and Reef Encounter, from my POV. But Reef Encounter, as far as I can tell, has a higher level of player screwage. So...go with Reef Encounter.

Good advice but I will take the other tack. If I had to go the other way and part with any of the games on the list the one I would most heavily fight to keep would be Power Grid. I do not know many games in which so many disparate mechanisms mesh so well. I have only played a couple of games of Reef Encounter but have had a hard time getting my head around them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Reef Encounter is the best game on your list of possibilities, but what I recommend is that you try out a game or two of Reef Encounter on SpielByWeb (http://www.spielbyweb.com/). While it's an excellent game, it may not be for everyone, and since your gift certificate presumably will not expire for a while, you should take the time to try what you can online before buying. Admitedly games play very differently in person, but at least you can get a sense for what the game entails before taking the plunge. I started playing Reef Encounter on SpielByWeb a while back, and as a result went out and bought a copy of it, and you may do the same, or realize you don't actually want it. I'd be happy to host a game of it for you to join if you'd like.

Of the other games on your list, I enjoyed playing Louis XIV, Game of Thrones, Saint Petersburg, and Niagara, but did not enjoy either Power Grid or Attika. However, I'd recommend that you try playing Saint Petersburg, Niagara, and Attika online, which are all available at BrettspielWelt (http://www.brettspielwelt.de/). I thought that Louis XIV was a really interesting area control game without a board that had a lot going on, but kept me really interested the whole time. Game of Thrones is an excellent game if you can get 5 people together and have a few hours to spare, but if you have less people or less time it's not the way to go. Saint Petersburg is great for the first few plays, but gets old relatively quickly because the games are pretty similar, and there isn't as much choice as there seems. Niagara is a fun, light game that has great bits, but isn't especially deep, I've found it's hit or miss with people. With respect to Power Grid, I highly anticipated this game, but was underwhelmed because it seemed overly fiddly, and the catch-up mechanic made every game artificially close, so that players actually fight to be in last place at times to receive the bonus that comes with it. Finally, Attika was another game I looked forward to, but did not enjoy. There seemed to be far too much luck of the draw involved, and it tended to degenerate to simply a race to build all the buildings, which wasn't very interesting.

So I recommend Reef Encounter as the best game on your list of possibilities, but I also recomend trying out as many of these games as possible online at SpielByWeb and BrettspielWelt to see what you yourself think of them.

Good luck deciding what to get

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have no advice for you, because you already own the game I would buy, but with the gift certificate that I received this year, I will allow my hope to spring eternal and say that I plan to use it to purchase El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your profile, you seem to be a "true" gamer who likes Euro games with great mechanics, games which "lesser gamers" might feel are a little dry or thin-themed.

I guess my top three recommendations to you would be:

Power Grid
Louis XIV
Attika

I'll comment on the ones I've played:

Attika - I think you might like this. Lots of tension. A little abstract. Different mechanics.

China - Fairly similar to El Grande, I guess, but lighter. Get this if you want El Grande Lite. Many people say Web of Power is a little better.

Goa - This is a great gamer's game. It's all about resource management and agonizing decisions. Probably less tension than the average gamer's game, and a little bit like multiplayer solitaire. Low confrontation, except there is an auction. This is one of my favorite games.

Mystery of the abbey - Light game which I find uninteresting. Even my wife, who likes deduction, isn't wild about this one.

Niagara - Different, light game. I'm not sure you would like it. But it's worth trying if you want something a little different.

Oltremare - Only played once. It's OK but not in my top 25.

Louis XIV - I only played this once. Lots of decisions and things to keep track of. A little too much going on for my taste. You might like it, though.

Saint Petersburg - Lighter game, but a good one. A "shopping" game.

Powergrid - Yes, get this game. You must carefully budget your money. Plenty of tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a little different advice:

Reef Encounter is a great, deep tile game ... but have that covered already.

The values on your list are all a little bit different, but - depending on the store, obviously - you might be able to pick up both China and Boomtown for not much more than Reef Encounter would be.

China is area-majority, a little like El Grande, but it is a very quick game (45 minutes with 5 players) and involves some blocking of others' plans, as well as many opportunities for "surprise, clever moves".

Boomtown is a great, raucous and quick auction game as well (I noticed you like the odd lively party game, which this can sometimes feel like). There's a lot of luck, there's a bunch of table-talk and scheming, and there's a good deal of screwage thrown in as well. All in all a great 45 minutes of fun! And with expansion cards planned, as well as a couple of really neat variants on Bruno's page, this is a great addition to any collection.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great guys Thanks for all the tips and advice .....GG to be awarded tommmorrow..Ohhhh how exciting !!

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sommer
Denmark
copenhagen downtown
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
Based on your profile, you seem to be a "true" gamer who likes Euro games with great mechanics,
Powergrid - Yes, get this game. You must carefully budget your money. Plenty of tension.

Thanks and heres 5 gg for giving excellent advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.