El Fiji Grande
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
Former WA Delegate of The North Pacific on NationStates
badge
Who? Me?!
Microbadge: Twilight Struggle fanMicrobadge: Arimaa fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: German Shepherd loverMicrobadge: Dominant Species fan
To remember how high Zombies!!! went:

This is why I'm so very proud to be a part of this community. While our overall contribution was relatively small, we did what we could, and I'm surprised we came so far.

Again, my sincere condolences.

~Pithagoras
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Southern New England WargamersMicrobadge: I put Bob's head in funny placesMicrobadge: Rick and Morty fanMicrobadge: Dawn of the Dead fan
My deepest condolences. May Todd rest in peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
Microbadge: The Pogues fanMicrobadge: (59th Rule of Acquisition) "Free advice is seldom cheap" - QuarkMicrobadge: Frank Zappa fanMicrobadge: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!Microbadge: Aldous Huxley fan
Sad new. Sorry for your loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is one of a few games that my wife willingly plays with me.
Bugga the ratings, this stays at 10.

RIP Todd, May Zombies!!! rule the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
Microbadge: Extra Life participantMicrobadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Geekway to the West attendee
domcrap wrote:
My heart goes out to Kerry and the family. I feel for your loss.

Paul - thanks for spearheading this endeavor. You did an impressive job at rallying the community. But I'm conflicted. Although the amount of support shown by the BGG community was substantial, I'm saddened that we couldn't bring Zombies to #1 for a short while. I expected more from us.
I'm keeping my score a ten. It sounds like some others are as well.

I still think we should push the rank to number 1.

Never give up, never surrender!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gray
msg tools
Microbadge: Zombies!!! fanMicrobadge: Acquire fanMicrobadge: Spider-Man fan
RIP Todd
My condolences to the Breitenstein family. He will be missed.

As a retailer, I've know Todd for many years. They were brief chats at the retailer conferences, but he always remembered me. A couple years ago, I had emailed him asking for a single demo copy of one of his newer games that year and when I arrived at his booth, he slides this huge box of games, t-shirts and promo material under the table to me. I was stunned and very thankful. I've always carried his games and they sell consistently.

The next retailer conference will not be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Arnold
United States
Hattiesburg
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Good Eats fanMicrobadge: The Dice Tower fanMicrobadge: Anime fanMicrobadge: Support Farmers' Markets
Rest in Peace. I had been off the site for awhile so I had no idea. Funny thing is last Friday, at our public library gaming group, I taught everybody how to play this game. They liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hockey fanMicrobadge: Middle-earth CCG fan - Sauron's EyeMicrobadge: Mansions of Madness: Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn fanMicrobadge: F1 fan
Peace to Todd
Peace to Kerry
Peace to their friends and family
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cleveland Browns fanMicrobadge: Toronto Maple Leafs fanMicrobadge: NFL fanMicrobadge: Mercedes-Benz fanMicrobadge: Miami Dolphins fan
morlockhq wrote:

I'm keeping my score a ten. It sounds like some others are as well.
AYE!

ZOMBIES FOREVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True compassion means finding out the ONE thing that helps a brother, or sister to lighten the load, and then doing it. No matter how insignificant, how petty or unimportant, or meaningless in the "grand scheme of things" it may seem to us. This community put aside all other considerations to do ONE small thing for someone who was fighting the battle of his life.

The point of this effort, as so many have eloquently said, was to give Todd one reason for waking up, for taking one more day of pain, for enduring the assault on his body one more moment longer.

May each of us be so blessed as to have friends like that.

My sincerest condolences to Todd's family and circle of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Microbadge: Alien Frontiers fanMicrobadge: Photoshop userMicrobadge: = the number of heroesMicrobadge: Overwatch fanMicrobadge: "Sir, I protest, I am not a merry man!" - Worf son of Mogh
My condolences to Todd and his family. In someways I wish I saw this thread a lot sooner than I did. While I've been on and off BGG the past few weeks, I'm only seeing this thread today.

I say I wish I could have seen this because Zombies!!! was the second game in what would be the beginning of my current boardgaming collection. Yes I enjoyed it when I did, and with time and reading here it slowly slipped away as a game that lost my interest. However, it is one of the few games that does hold a few memories. My favorite being the time I was in college. It was my second year back and while I returned to the same dorm room I was in the year previous I was determined to make it a better year. In the process I invited a few of the guys on my floor to stop by and play one of the games that I brought back with me. At the time it was Zombies!!! and I had a few of the expansions (the 3.5 deck specifically.) One of the guys on the floor was a BIG zombie fan (and yes his name just so happened to be "Robb") had a copy of the game but left it at home. Between myself, Robb, his roommate Seth and my roommate Jake we had a pretty good and decent game going. Well since I was determined to have a better year than last, I usually left my door and windows open it the dorm room and what went from four guys playing in a room ended up being about 10 crowded in this little room with all the onlookers watching closely who was going to win. Between the backstabbyness of the 3.5 deck and all the players playing as cutthroat as possible...It was my roommate who stole the win from Robb. Cheering was done and people asking to play the next game being yelled out. We were all like a giant group of brothers and it lead to the beginning of one of my greatest years in college.

Today Zombies sits quietly in a box. However...maybe it's time to break it out again, just one more time and introduce it to some of my newer gamers. I can also say Zombietown has provided a similar experience.

So thank you Todd and Kerry, for the games and the memories. While these days I may be at odds with your games, I can't deny that they did provide good gaming moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Microbadge: Car Wars fanMicrobadge: Avengers fanMicrobadge: I raised a Zombie for Todd's cancer fightMicrobadge: Grand Theft Auto V fanMicrobadge: Star Trek fan
Tegre wrote:
Today Zombies sits quietly in a box. However...maybe it's time to break it out again, just one more time and introduce it to some of my newer gamers.
My copy's been sitting on a shelf for a year or two, but there are already plans to break it out on Saturday - kind of a combo of Tabletop Day and celebrating Todd's contribution(s). Even better, at least one of the guy's coming to play has been wanting to play Zombies!!!, but this will be his first time. I'm looking forward to that moment when he says, like we all have, "I've got to Get To Da Choppa!"

Over the past week I've been thinking about Todd (who I never met, but you couldn't tell it from the podcasts I've heard him gleefully talk about games on), about Kerry and what all she must be going through. I've also thought about how Zombies!!! became the go-to game in 2011 for the little group I routinely play with now. It's a came that may stay on the shelf for a while, but it's easy to break out and land on the table again.

For that I hope that Kerry knows that Todd will always be remembered. For the good times he's helped bring me and my friends and more. Todd's been an influence on people he never met, and he'll always be remembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android userMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: New Mexico State UniversityMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Linux user
Just in case you haven't seen it, there is a benefit auction by Dave Aikins for the Breitenstein family. Not only can you help them offset medical and funeral bills for the creator of Zombies!!! you can pick up some great original items and artwork from the original artist.

For Zombies!!! enthusiasts I would point out the promo card set. In particular note the sixth card "is a sketch card, drawn by Zombies!!! artist Dave Aikins. It is a quick ink drawing done on a blank Zombies!!! card."

Here's the link to all the items up for auction:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

External image
External image
External image
External image
External image
External image

Here's Dave's original post:
DaveAikins wrote:
It will be 4 auctions, for four 16"x20" canvas prints- all the same image. They will go live Thursday night, and end Sunday April 7. I wanted them to be up for 10 days, and I didn't want them to end on a Friday or Saturday, so that's why there's a bit of a delay.

My ebay seller name is aikinsd, and the auctions will be named:

Dave Aikins ZOMBIES!!! 16x20 canvas print #1 of 4 TWILIGHT CREATIONS benefit

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

I'll be ready come Thursday night to start posting links and info about these. I had 5 of these made in December. One was of the Zombies!!! cover (for Todd and Kerry), and the other 4 were of a newer Zombie portrait that I thought worked well as a big print. I was lucky enough to be able to give the one made for Todd to him in January.

Thanks for any help on getting the word out once these go live.
And here's a little about his experience with Twilight Creations:
DaveAikins wrote:
12 years ago, a guy named Todd Breitenstein asked me if I wanted a job drawing zombies for a board game. I had already worked for Todd and the staff at a company called Journeyman Press on a card game for Age of Empires, so drawing zombies was going to be hella fun compared to various medieval scenes. So we started working on a game with as straight-forward of a name as you can get: ZOMBIES!!! Working with Todd on that original game was the most fun I have ever had in my career. Creating the art for Todd was easy-peasy. We both seemed to be on the same page, and it all came together with no problems...until everyone at Journeyman Press got “let-go” by their parent company US Playing Card. Todd was the last man to go. It was bizarre going to visit Todd at US Playing Card- all by himself with a gaming division that had failed.
Except for Zombies!!! No, Zombies!!! was actually doing quite well. So, as Todd left US Playing Card, he and his wonderful wife Kerry (who created the game with Todd) realized that US Playing Card was not interested in supporting Zombies!!!, even thought it was making money. This was unacceptable to Todd and Kerry. They had something there, something that needed to be given a chance to succeed. So, they created their company, Twilight Creations Inc., and got US Playing Card to agree to license (and later sell) Zombies!!! to them so that they could give it the TLC that it needed. And they worked extremely hard and watched as it grew, and grew, and grew.
12 years later, it’s still growing, and Todd and Kerry have been nice enough to let me join them, work with them, and give the Zombies!!! game series it’s “look”. They have continuously given me work, a unique kind of work, that no other client of mine has ever done. They let me do my thing. They let me draw the most ludicrous, insane, funny, violent, dumb, icky, gross, creepy illustrations that I can fit into a game card. Through it all, they’ve been a great client, and even better, they’ve become great friends.

Which makes it so incredibly hard to say good-bye to Todd, who lost his fight yesterday with cancer. He had discovered problems last summer that appeared to be of no major concern (at least as far as I knew). As the year progressed, things became worse, but as of November the pathology report was very promising. Sadly, the cancer, along with an infection, did what it does best and took Todd from us. He was 47 years young.
Todd was a great guy with a great sense of humor- sarcastic, cynical, a bit easy to annoy, and a complete wise-ass. Truly my kind of guy. Together with his wife Kerry, they are one of those couples that make every other married couple envious. They got it right, those two. Together they created their business, together they created their games, and together they traveled to convention after convention (with a scuba trip here and there for good measure). Together they raised three kids- Jonathan, Alex, and Marissa. I dig those crazy “kids”. Good kids, each different, as it should be (although they don’t seem to be the young “kids” that I remember anymore)... All of this makes it so much harder to say good bye. I don’t like losing a friend, and I’m torn up inside about their loss of a husband and father.

Yesterday I was going to write Todd a letter to say “thank you”, as visiting him or talking to him again seemed unlikely. “Thank you” for friendship, for all the paychecks, for all the work that has given me a fan base and a reason to get out and go to comic conventions and meet fans and other artists and...and...and... Sadly, I never got the chance to say this again to Todd. So instead I write this to you all.

Thank you, Todd and Kerry.

A lot of people have purchased games from Twilight Creations over the past 11 years. Zombies!!! has sold hundreds of thousands of copies, and is still selling more and more every day. It’s now even a Windows Xbox app. Yikes! I’m not even sure I know what that means... Todd and Kerry have succeeded in creating something that gives people a chance to escape and have fun with friends while playing a goofy game with little figures and city street tiles and yucky cards. If you’re reading this, and you’ve enjoyed playing one of Todd & Kerry’s games, take a second to remember Todd. I hope you’ll trust me that he was one of the best, and will be greatly missed.

-Dave Aikins
Proud Twilight Creations “art-monkey” since 2001 (a year before the company was founded...that’s how proud I am).

[IMG][/IMG]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Subnormality fanMicrobadge: AccountantMicrobadge: Rules reader
Just found this and felt like sharing it here.

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rogers
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I'm addicted to PANTONE!Microbadge: Hearthstone fanMicrobadge: LudologistMicrobadge: My head is exploding with too many game ideas!Microbadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fan
I am super-late to this thread, but I wanted to share.

Just like most other game designers I know, I started playing games very young. After the big CCG boom of the 90's, I started thinking about designing my own game. In my day job as a video game designer, I had worked with designers from the RPG community but I knew very little about how the board game industry operated.

I attended Comic Con annually. I grew up in San Diego and have watched the show grow. One year (it must have been around early to mid 2000's), I noticed there was a man selling board games. This was (and to some extent still is) very unusual to see at SDCC. But, the booth was selling a game I recognized - Zombies!!!

Having gotten recently swept back up into hobbyist board gaming, I owned Zombies!!!, it was one of the few "new" Ameritrashy titles out there and I am a proud Ameritrash gamer.

I walked over the Twilight Creation booth and told the man working it that I owned his game and I really liked it. He showed me his new expansions and I ended up buying one.

I was about to leave with my purchase, when I decided to ask the man what it was like to make board games. We proceeded to talk for about an hour as he patiently answered my barrage of questions. We talked about some fundamentals of design, how to create artwork for board and card games, the cost of making miniatures for games, how and where to sell a game to (this was, of course pre-Kickstarter), the even a little bit about how distribution worked - it was a very educational hour.

That guy who was so patient with me, if you haven't guessed it by now, was Todd Breitenstein.

I went away from that conversation energized and ready to design my first game.

Over the next few years, I made sure to stop by Twilight Creation's booth at Comic Con and say hello to Todd and buy his latest and greatest creation. Todd would always ask me how my game design was coming and I would tell him "slowly" but he always encouraged me to keep going.

One year, I came by the booth and saw a woman working it instead. I asked her if Todd would be back soon and she said that Todd had passed away from cancer. I was floored and offered my condolences. Kerry and I talked about Todd and how I had appreciated his patience and kindness and encouragement to me over the years.

Twilight Creations was the first company that I pitched my game Rayguns and Rocketships to (they looked like they were interested moving into the sci-fi genre with Jupiter Rescue) - mainly because I really liked the Breitensteins and their dedication to thematic gaming.

I was politely declined (it was eventually published this year by IDW Games) but Twilight Creations is still on my "wish list" of publishers I'd like to work with. Maybe when I get that horror game design finished. It's coming along "slowly".

Even if TC didn't publish my game, if it weren't for people like Todd and Kerry, I wouldn't have had my first board game published at all. It was their kindness and willingness to spend a little time with a starry-eyed game designer that helped me take my first steps.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  45 , 46 , 47 , 48 , 49  |