Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I got Leigh back to the table (after our 1st play she wasn't too high on the game but was willing to give it another whirl.) So Justin, Leigh, and I sat down to a pair of games.

First round saw Buto, Baharya, and Dakhla go up for auction. I was pretty set on getting Baharya (in our previous 2 games I got this one early and it paid off) and started the bidding at 6. Justin and Leigh fought it out on Buto, with Justin winning it at 6 and Leigh picking up Dakhla for free. Leigh built a pyramid and 2 extra stones on Dakhla, since for her free power card she drew one of the "8 harvest" cards.

Second round had Memphis going to me for 6, Amarna to Justin for free, and Avaris to Leigh for free (we still haven't mastered the strategy of the auctions yet.) With Leigh having paid nothing for her 2 provinces, she was sitting pretty nice. She drew 2 power cards and got a free farmer (to go with another she won on the previous rounds sacrifice) and the +1 harvest card to keep the money going. I drew the bonus card for having all provinces on the east or west, so my strategy became clear for the next round of bidding.

The final round of the Old Kingdown was another barn burner in the auction department with me yet again paying 6 (for Abydos,) and Justin (Abu) and Leigh (Bernike) paying nothing. I decided to put all my stones into Baharya too lock up the pyramid bonus on the west bank. Leigh locked up the east side.

After the old kingdom, the score was:
Justin: 12 (3 pyramids and 1 bonus)

Leigh: 16 (4 pyramids, 1 bonus, 1 largest pyramid)

Greg: 18 (5 pyramids, 2 bonus, 1 large largest pyramid)

Never a good sign...the previous 2 games I had a lead at the "turn" and won the 1st game by only 1 and lost badly on the second game. Justin and Leigh were sitting pretty as both had over 25 gold going into round 4.

Amarna, Memphis, and Abu went up first. Justin took Memphis and its single pyramid for 6, Leigh got Abu for 6, and I took Amarna for free as I had very little cash. I set out again to go for the large pyramid bonus by maxing out stones, knowing that I wouldn't be able to compete for the sacrifice bonus. Leigh spent all her cash so was forced to play her "-3" at sacrifice, nice bonus for me as I had only 1 gold left. Justin, who was lacking in power cards, set to draw as many as he could each round by pumping up his sacrifice.

In round 5 I took Avaris for 6 after being outbid and bid blocked by Justin on Baharya with its 2 pyramids and 2 stones. Leigh got her favorite, Dakhla, for free again (in hindsight I can't believe I let this happen since she got 12 free gold...I was too focused on the pyramids already on the board...) Leigh continued her good draws getting a "8 harvest" and free farmers. To top off my already bad play this round, the sacrifice, despite my "-3" got up to 3 so I didn't get the 8 camel bonus that I was counting on.

The final round of bidding was red hot again with Buto going to me for 6, Abydos to Justin for 6, and Berenike to Leigh for free. Justin and I both maxed stones out on opposite sides in an effort to stave off the Leigh assault. The final sacrifice saw everything maxed out with Justin edging Leigh out. Leigh ended up beating Justin out on the west bank for most pyramids and tied me. Justin drew 3 power cards hoping to get a bonus...no luck.

The final score:

Leigh: 50 (most pyramids, 2nd most money and 4 sets of pyramids)

Greg: 46 (third most pyramids, 3rd money, and 3 sets of pyramids)

Justin: 39 (second in pyramids, most money, but no bonus cards)

In 3 games Leigh has 2 firsts and a 3rd (lost on a tie breaker), I have 1 win and 2 thirds, and Justin has 2 2nds and a third. Justin an Leigh really like the game now with Justin commenting "yet another game I like that I am no good at!)

I feel we have a lot to learn still. The auctions seem flat and I am never sure where to start bidding. In the Old Kingdom I ended up paying 12 for provinces that weren't even contested. It also seems that we rely too much on power cards (which may be the norm.) It seemed we kept searching for the bonus cards with over 80% of the sacrifice draws being used to go for power cards.

We are really starting to like the game though so hopefully we will keep getting better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am liking this game more and more too. I think the auctions seem flat because you are playing with only 3 players. With 4 or 5 it becomes much more interesting. Still, I will play this with 3 players any time over most other 3-5 player games, because of the other phases, even the sacrifice phase, doesn't rely upon numbers.

Speaking of the sacrifice phase, this is really an important feature with regard to money and spending. You can buy yourself some real bonuses, but pay too much for it. Explore some more strategies with how to make this work for you (I can't say I have mastered it myself).

Report back some time with some more details, and let us know what you find out.

caltexn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Syferd
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that is what we thought as well, hopefully this weekend we'll get our 4th regular into the fold and see how the game changes. I expect there will be more competing for the 1 or 2 best provinces then.

We are also still figuring out the subtleties of the sacrifice. We have only had a few sacrifices that were "close." Usually 2 people bid 1 or 2...just enough to qualify for the bonus and the 3rd person bid way high. It's pretty easy to forcast how much to offer up to ensure you get a positive harvest, but it's a little trickier to figure out what you need to bid in order to keep it low enough to catch camel bonus (if you have them) or screw someone else out of the bonus.

I'll be very curious to see how the mechanics change as we add more player. I'll keep up the reports as we keep playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.