Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed the reason why the "drop prices" system in this game feels so different from Vinci, Mall World, etc.

In Vegas Showdown, the prices drop quickly from turn to turn. Even if the board is full of stuff nobody wants, the prices still drop at the same quick rate. So soon enough, the prices will drop to a level that players want to buy the tiles.

In Vinci etc., the "price" drops only when somebody picks up something. If the civilizations on the board all suck, players will tend to hold on to their current civ, delaying the dropping of prices and the entrance of new civs.

Thus the feel is very different: Vegas Showdown has a rather unique element of timing and money management which is tight and feels quite fresh to me.

My question is: have we seen the same system before in another game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall something similiar somewhere, but can't put my finger on it. Either way, a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Necklace and Puerto Rico, although in both cases something has to be taken in each turn so there isn't any stalling to worry about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call, Doug.

Though Vegas Showdown has its unique cash management aspect which is not in PR or Queen's Necklace. In Vegas, you must save up money for the bargain tiles as their prices are dropping (even if you can't win the auction, it is useful to bid up the price against others). In PR you don't pay to buy the roles, and in Queen's Necklace you merely pick the best cards you can get within a fixed allowance each turn (you can't save cash from turn to turn).

And IMO this aspect is one of the kep elements which make Vegas an interesting and tense game. There is the dilemma between buying something useful now, and saving up for later. You need cash, but you also need to spend them. The premier tiles come up in different orders every game, and together with the events, they make every game different.

IMO a game with just the right amount of luck vs. strategy, and just the right amount of planning vs. interaction. My current favorite!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim K.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the commodity market in Power Grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.