Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Master Rules: Turn Order I see the following:

"After the first round, the starting player is the player with the most points."

What exactly does this mean?

Rounds in the RGG rulebook are defined as the subsections of phases. Does this mean that WITHIN A PHASE, turn order can change? And what happens at the end of a phase? Does the lowest scorer still move the King? Does play still continue with the lowest scorer as written, or now with the highest scorer? Need help here, if anyone has definitive answers. The discussion was touched upon lightly in other threads, but from the rules as written, I am still uncertain.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michiel Hillenius
Netherlands
Hoogland (Amersfoort)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- It means that after the first scoring moment the player with the most points starts. After the second scoring this is repeated. (The real trouble comes when players end up equal after a scoring, then it is time for some sensible homemade-rules!)
- Within a phase the turn order does not change.
- Yes, the one with the lowest number of points moves the king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Michiel, above zero, you can't have the same number of points as another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Close2nd
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Under Master Rules: Turn Order I see the following:

"After the first round, the starting player is the player with the most points."

What exactly does this mean?

Rounds in the RGG rulebook are defined as the subsections of phases. Does this mean that WITHIN A PHASE, turn order can change? And what happens at the end of a phase? Does the lowest scorer still move the King? Does play still continue with the lowest scorer as written, or now with the highest scorer? Need help here, if anyone has definitive answers. The discussion was touched upon lightly in other threads, but from the rules as written, I am still uncertain.

Thanks!

The line of rules should read "After the first phase..." as shown in other translations (check the files here). Turn order does not change within a phase (year). At the end of the phase the person with the lowest score still moves the king, then play continues with whoever has the highest score.

Moving the king is a catchup mechanism for the player currently in last place while moving first is supposed disadvantage as you cannot build on the work of others.

There can be only one scoring marker on each score space so ties are not possible (scoring is carried out in turn order).

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Mäkiketola
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt L wrote:
The line of rules should read "After the first phase..." as shown in other translations (check the files here). Turn order does not change within a phase (year). At the end of the phase the person with the lowest score still moves the king, then play continues with whoever has the highest score.

I actually read this here and then explained game. During game I was then asked what one part in Rio Grande rules meant.

Rio Grande rules wrote:
After the first round, the starting player is the player with the most points. ... Thus, when a player uses APs to move his scoring marker, he may change his turn order.

I hadn't read that after I "corrected" the part about round to read phase. Actually that should be really a round, not phase. Firstly, otherwise that sentence starting with "Thus,.." doesn't make much sense. Secondly, after that it was checked what German rules (Ravensburger edition) say in this situation and actually it was also saying round, not phase. There also was one sentence saying something like "Same thing also applies in the beginning of the phase" in German rules. That states quite clearly that turn order really can change inside a phase.

Is there any final verdict on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.