Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Li
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player plays a larva cube and the polyp tiles that go with it, is it allowed to place those polyp tiles on more than one coral reef board? Or do all polyp tiles for a larva cube have to be placed on to the same reef?

I don't know if there would ever be an advantage in doing so, but I couldn't find an answer to this in the rules. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The summary of the rules here on BGG says it best:

Quote:
Action 2: Play a larva cube and lay some polyp tiles.
Play cube and place back in supply. Play up to 4 polyps from behind screen and any from infront of the same colour. Polyps go on empty rock spaces, either to start a new coral or expand an existing one (orthogonally adjacent). If a polyp is placed adjacent to an empty free growth space, the coral immediately expands into it. Two corals of the same colour may never be connected if both are protected by a shrimp.
A coral at least 2 polyps large may ATTACK a weaker coral and replace a polyp unprotected by a shrimp. Relative strength is indicated by the 10 coral tiles (double polyp stronger). A shrimp protects its polyp and orthogonally adjacent polyps of that coral. The consumed polyp is placed infront of the attacker’s screen. Corals may be split in two.

Therefore, you can place your tiles, almost anywhere you want, in any order, on any board. Placing them all on the same reef can restrict your opponents space, making it harder to attack your tiles; but I have to say there are advantages to spreading out, at least a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Therefore, you can place your tiles, almost anywhere you want, in any order, on any board.

What part of that rules quote implies this? The sentance I focused on says:

Quote:
either to start a new coral or expand an existing one

so you can do one of two things:

1) start a new coral
2) expand an existing coral

In #1 the "a" implies a single new coral and in #2 the "an" implies adding to a single existing coral. I guess that means that all the tiles you place have to be placed as a group. I haven't played my copy yet and have only gone through the rules but that was the impression I got after reading the rules several times. I also think that the example of placing tiles in the rules has all the tiles placed as a group. Interesting question. How do other groups play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Play up to 4 polyps from behind screen and any from infront of the same colour. Polyps go on empty rock spaces, either to start a new coral or expand an existing one (orthogonally adjacent).

I interpret this to mean I could start a new coral with each polyp tile I play. We play this way, and though we usually play to a single board, it is occasionally a good idea to spread them out, usually to block opponents expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean R
Belgium
flag msg tools
The Dutch rules leave no doubt about the playing of polyp tiles. It reads:

"All polyp tiles, played in one action, do not have to be part of the same coral!"

There is no explicit rule that forbids playing polyps on different boards in the same action.
This IMHO automatically implies that you can place polyp tiles on any reef board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alive wrote:
"All polyp tiles, played in one action, do not have to be part of the same coral!"

This is the correct way to play. See paragraph 3 under 'Placing polyp tiles' on page 6 of the rules.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.