Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi,

Played my first two games of this the other night and lost as the Americans both times. I loved it and am looking forward to playing again soon!!

In the second game, I went for the space race big time, which in hindsight probably cost me the game because of the cost to achieve the progress when you consider the lost ops (really bad rolling here).

Of course I scored 11 VP over the course of the race but I think the final special ability is a really dubious prize for all the effort. I never actually had a round where I ever wanted to play an 8th card. In fact, I was usually clutching that last card soooo hard because it was some awesome Soviet card and I just wanted to burn it next turn on the space race.

What does everybody else think about the "benefit" of playing an 8th card?? I would have thought a better benefit would be something like the ability to draw up to 9 and discard one immediately, or the ability to hold 9 cards instead of 8.

Just my thoughts after too few plays.

Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question - did not come up here so far, cause in our 4 games noone ever reached that spot...

But beside that, rules say:
"Upon reaching space 8 (Eagle/Bear has Landed), the player may
play eight (8) Action Rounds per turn."

The may might be the answer. Anyways, I will play it that way: MAY play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Yes,

I am aware that it says "may" and that is the way we played it. My point is that after all that effort it seems like a questionable advantage.

Regards
Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UserX wrote:
Yes,

I am aware that it says "may" and that is the way we played it. My point is that after all that effort it seems like a questionable advantage.

Regards
Allen

One benefit that has been pointed out, is being able to play another card just before the final scoring at the end of turn 10. For the US, that would mean playing the last two cards before scoring. (I haven't got that far, myself.)

The "may" answer is correct, and has been confirmed on CSW by Jason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may or may not be useful. If you have the China card, space race allows you to play it and 7 others. Or if you have Ussuri River Skirmish, play the China Card, play URS, Play the China Card, and then 5 others...

I think you should invest as little as possible in the speace race. Never use your own event, always your opponent's. Beware too much progress because then you can only use 3 Ops (and eventually 4 Ops), which means more enemy events have to be played. USA seems to have the lead anyhow because there are more red 4s in the mid and late game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I agree that the bonus seems poor compared to the requirements (4 OPs and 5+ on the die), but (with my very limited knowledge of the game) I suspect that I'd prefer NOT to win the Race (i.e. reaching the last space) to preserve the option of discarding a card related to my opponent without triggering its effects. Winning the Race on turn 10 would be fine (2 VPs, you no longer need to discard in any case, and possibly you'll play an extra card if it is useful).

P.S. I think that the easiest way to accomplish it is with "One small step" played with the right conditions, rather than via discarding and rolling...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games I've played have not produced much in the space race, possibly due to poor rolls. The highest I've seen has been Lunar Orbit. Maybe after more plays, some luck will change this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.