9 Posts

Young Jedi CCG» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Young Jedi CCG Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Young Jedi was a decipher ccg that came out when the craze for Star Wars: Episode 1 began to reach its peak. It's a simpler ccg than their previous science fiction based efforts (mainly Star Trek and Star Wars CCG) but it still a fun and rewarding game.

Visually, these cards are beautiful. Clean crisp images from the movie are translated onto the cards wonderfully. The card stock is thick and glossy. Deck construction is simple, each card has a color, there are 6 colors in the game, of which you can have 10 of each in your deck, resulting in a 60 card deck. The simple deck construction rules are certainly similar to games like Blue Moon, very easy going for those who are easily intimidated by the daunting task of deck building in collectible card games.

There are 3 different planets in the game that your characters will be battling over. Winning 2 out of the 3 planets or running your opponent out of cards will result in victory. Killing your opponents characters forces your oppononent to discard cards off the top of their draw deck.

Battle consists of all my characters at a location battling all of my opponents characters at a location. Each character can use weapons or battle cards to boost their strength (as well as getting location specfic bonuses). The mechanics are simple, but not without strategy. The main idea of each battle is orient your characters in a specific order, while at the same time trying to figure out what order your opponent will use. Some characters are expendable, and some are heavy hitters, so if they die, you will forced to take heavy damage to your draw deck. There is certainly a poker element here. If you are able to read your opponent, and get a general idea of what their going to try and do in the battle, you'll have a significant advantage.

It's important to realize what planets/locations you will be weak at, and which ones you will be strong at. Building your deck to stay competetive at all planets, as well as making the right in game decisions on when to fight for a planet, and when to move on can be tricky. And if its obvious you're going to lose 2 of the 3 planets, you can always try and run your opponent out of cards instead.

There are some weak points to the game. Weapons seem to be VERY important, as they allow you use random strength bonuses to your characters. If you don't draw them consistenly throughout the game, you will most likely lose terribly. In addition, the simplistic gameplay while sometimes a benefit, is often very limiting. There really isn't anything to do other than battle (later expansions added dueling, which is just a variation of battling) don't expect too many gameplay options.

This is a fun game, with easy deck construction, and a great secretive battle system. The game is limited by its simple rules and gameplay, but is an excellent "advanced beer and pretzels game"
7/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

I find this game quite poor, repetitive, lacking in any strategy in deckbuilding, boring...

Definitely one of the worst CCGs I played. Too bad it was Star Wars. I bought quite a few boosters, assuming a slightly simplified version of the SW CCG. Completely uninteresting and uninspired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I got burned by this one too...I was deep into the main SWCCG game, and Phantom Menace hype was at a fever pitch....so I bought in.

It's not the worst CCG by any stretch, and it has its moments, but MAN what a letdown compared to its "big brother".

What's worse is that as a game, it's completely unsolvable--unless you have very specific battle cards, it's almost better just to decide your line-up randomly so your opponent can't pick up on your trends.

Then they went overboard trying to fancy the game up a bit, which then complicated things and removed even that slight bit of simplistic charm it originally had. Their idea of "lightsaber combat" was broken and laughable...and podracing....MAN.

With any other name on it besides Star Wars though, I probably wouldn't have given it the time of day. CURSE YOU, LUCAS~!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Borges
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoyed this game a bit. It was what it was: a SIMPLER Star Wars CCG. It was not as engrossing, fun or well-done as its big brother, but I don't think that was the point. It was called "Young Jedi" for goodness sakes.
I don't think it was meant to be a largely strategic game. It was simple, fun, and how can you not love drawing three Gasgano, his podracer and Darth Maul all in one shot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...was I surprised to see this game come up for a current review. It ain't exactly a current CCG. I played it with students a number of years ago, and still have a gazillion cards. The original Star Wars CCG was pretty good but quite complex for the younger set.
I like the Star Wars Trading Card Game better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Smith
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wow...was I surprised to see this game come up for a current review. It ain't exactly a current CCG.

I thought so too, but when I went to the entry page for the game I discovered that this review was the first and only review for the game. So I tip my hat to the reviewer for filling a gap (though I do wish for a review with more depth).

Chuck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kittin
msg tools
Young Jedi got a lot better when Decipher tried to milk its content and to do so continually added depth and strategy (game text, dueling, etc.). Through Menace of Darth Maul and Jedi Council, the best deck type was to ignore all the main characters and rares and focus on cheap deploy, low damage, and high destiny draws (a deck I never lost with had 10x Neimodian Aide, 10x Blaster Rifle, 10x Sith Probe Droid, etc.). Then there was the brief period when Tanks were overpowered. Reflections helped the game when it came out, but the scarcity of it nowadays really hurts anyone looking for more than a nostalgic game. The Podracing/deck pulling of Boonta Eve Podrace was a change: the game needed a change to stay away from any more redundancy, but this wasn't the best way to maintain the integrity of the game. Overall, tons and tons of flaws throughout its life, but there's a reason a game with such a limited content focused was milked for everything that could come out of it: it was easy and fun to play. You can easily pick up a box of Enhanced Menace of Darth Maul, Jedi Council, Battle of Naboo, Duel of the Fates, and Boonta Eve Podrace and some starters for under $100. If you just want to try it out, your investment could be limited to no more than $30; however, the lack of customization and depth will probably keep the fun factor short-lived. Still, I'll give it a 7/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Teacher
United States
Northeast US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Wow.

I find this game quite poor, repetitive, lacking in any strategy in deckbuilding, boring...

Definitely one of the worst CCGs I played. Too bad it was Star Wars. I bought quite a few boosters, assuming a slightly simplified version of the SW CCG. Completely uninteresting and uninspired.

Would it work for 4th through 6th grade you think? Oddly, some games adults find boring they find... awe inspiring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Teacher
United States
Northeast US
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greybear wrote:
Quote:
Wow...was I surprised to see this game come up for a current review. It ain't exactly a current CCG.

I thought so too, but when I went to the entry page for the game I discovered that this review was the first and only review for the game. So I tip my hat to the reviewer for filling a gap (though I do wish for a review with more depth).

Chuck

Personally, I like out-of-print games. You can get a LOT of them for the price of one new one usually. Plus, if the game really isn't any good, then you lose.... $5. not a big investment for what could be a BIG payoff. something I learned long ago. (See my Ophidian review!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.