Subject: Are we playing correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time last night, and found it to be a very enjoyable rummy variant.

There was a little stumbling around at first as we got used to the system.

A couple of questions came up:

1 - Does a holiday card count as a "card of your own season" for bonus purposes?

We played that it did, as it's ring is colour-coded

2 - Does a wild card count as a "card of your own season" for bonus purposes?

We played that it counted to complete a full season, but not as a "card of your own season" for the 2-point bonus

3 - When adding to someone else's run, you play the card on your side of the table (eg. I had 7-8-9-10 suns, so Sue played 11 sun onto her side of the table.). Do I now have to add to that run with a 12, and if so ... do I tuck it next to the 10 ?

This is how we played it. However, if this is the case, it must be a nightmare to track which runs have been added to and which are independent in a 4-player game!! And it must be nearly impossible to get a full calendar year, as someone can just throw one number down to block it ... or is that the point?

4 - How many hands does this normally run to?

In our 2-player game, we played 3 hands before we were both over 300, and I was over 365. If we'd known that, we could have kept score on one page .... does the 4p game generally last longer, and do they ever go over 8 hands?

OK ... I think that's it

Thanks in advance for any pointers ....

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 & 2: Besides the example scoring for Kory on page 8 and a statement in the "Holiday cards" section on page 9, the glossary entry for "Cards of Your Season" states "For example, if you are playing the summer deck, the cards that match your season are Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, and Summer Vacation." This agrees with you on both points.

3: It looks like runs could zig-zag back and forth between scoring areas like that. And yes, keeping track of this could be annoying.

As for the difficulty in scoring a completed year: A) This is probably part of the reason you get +60 (or +70 if you get to count the season that wraps around) for that, and B) remember "digging down" and the fact that a run is four or more cards.

4. My demo game (with three or four players) at the booth just before I bought it ran for five rounds. I suppose a game could last longer than eight rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel,

Looks like we pretty much had it right.

I was thinking that +30 wasn't much of a bonus for a full year, but I forgot that it would also include four full seasons as well, to make +70.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vujovic
United States
Sugar Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
"The Leavetaking" - Michael Whelan planned for this piece to be a large "preliminary" to a new work in his Passage series that he would paint in oils. He wanted the design of the robe on the sand to suggest the drawing of water back into the sea.
badge
"Passage: The Avatar" - Initially inspired by a few notes from a Pink Floyd instrumental track, THE AVATAR came to Michael Whelan while he was floating in a sensory deprivation tank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel pretty much hit the nail on the head with his reply. I would only add the following:

3) Tracking runs is an important part of the game. Skilled players learn that there really is no "down time" in Seasons. If you aren't keeping track of what people are playing and what runs are being layed off, you're putting yourself in a big disadvantage. A 4-player game, while sometimes chaotic, rewards the player that is "involved" at all times.

Regarding the full calendar year - it's very difficult, but not impossible. Some players like to horde cards and play them all at once, which can be risky. Do you bluff what's in your hand to be able to go out at some point and catch everyone else with cards in their hand, or do you get caught with a monster "in-hand" deduction? This strategy, however, can benefit from the ability to dig down deep in somebody's discard pile and manufacture a tremendous run - which can produce the "full year" rarity. We figured a 70-point bonus for this feat was a pretty good reward (not counting the other bonuses you're getting).

4) If you ignore other player's discard piles, you're in for a long game. Once you "get it" and start raiding what's available on the table, games fly by.

-Dan Vujovic
Dust Bunny Games LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's one hypothetical situation I just thought of:

I have a run, say 9-10-11-12

My opponent plays New Years 12/1 to add to my run.

I then play 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

Have I completed the year, even though the run is broken in my opponent's scoring area ??

Cheers,

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The definitions for the season and year bonuses refer to having those month cards in your scoring area. I would say that holiday cards laid off in any scoring area are irrelevant for those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick,
It looks like the two Dans have gotten your answers for you, but here's what I have to say:

1) The holiday cards DO count for the "card of your season" bonus. It's your favorite season, so it's your favorite holiday.

2) The wild cards DO NOT count for the "card of your season" bonus. The wild cards are there for two reasons; to help you get cards out faster, and to help finish seasons. Wild cards do not count for points in and of themselves (well, they are -25 in your hand), but do allow you to get the season bonus for completed seasons (ie. 3-Wild-5-6 would give you +10pts for completing Spring).

3) When you play down cards, you always put them in your score area. For lay-off, we try to point them at the set they play off of. This is the hardest part of the game for new players. There are a lot of cards in a 4-player game to keep trak of. One thing you can do until your group gets used to this, is to put matching markers next to the cards if it would help. That way everyone can see which groups the cards go to.

And yes, a full year is very difficult to get. The reward though is more than 1/3 of the score you need to win the game.
The full score for an unbroken year is:

+30 +40 +8 +60 =138
(year bonus)(4 season bonuses)("cards of my season") (month cards)

(assuming no wild cards were played)

4) Most games run between 4-6 rounds. They can go longer if you catch people with negative scores. Scores can yo-yo up and down if different people win rounds and catch the other players holding cards.

5) Daniel is right about the holiday cards NOT breaking the completed year bonus. The holidays are there for the extra points and don't count in any way for completing the year.

Thanks for the questions Nick, if anything else comes up, pls let us know. And thanks Daniel for jumping in with all the right answers. This is why I love the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other thing that popped into my mind:

The section on Runs mention that there may only be one of each month per run, but says nothing about holidays. So I'm assuming that something like New Years, Jan-Dec, New Years would be a valid run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for teh entries.

I think we have it down now.

One other thing just occurred in a game:

If you read the rules, it says the holidays are played "between" the months on them, but laying off a holiday can be put at the end of an existing run.

I took this to mean my starting run could be 4-5-6-midsummer, but Sue took it literally, meaning that the holiday couldn;t sit on the end of a run.

Which of us are correct ?

Quote:
The section on Runs mention that there may only be one of each month per run, but says nothing about holidays. So I'm assuming that something like New Years, Jan-Dec, New Years would be a valid run.

That's pretty ambitious !

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vujovic
United States
Sugar Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
"The Leavetaking" - Michael Whelan planned for this piece to be a large "preliminary" to a new work in his Passage series that he would paint in oils. He wanted the design of the robe on the sand to suggest the drawing of water back into the sea.
badge
"Passage: The Avatar" - Initially inspired by a few notes from a Pink Floyd instrumental track, THE AVATAR came to Michael Whelan while he was floating in a sensory deprivation tank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, you are correct in your play of 4-5-6-summer vacation. It's ok if you can't play the 7 yet, but if you had played 5-6-7-8, and then wanted to play the summer vacation card later in between the 6 and 7, it's too late, that holiday has passed you by already!

And Daniel, sorry, but you don't get to celebrate New Year's twice! You would need either Nov or Feb for a valid meld.

- Dan Vujovic
Dust Bunny Games LLC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By "New Years, Jan-Dec, New Years", I meant "New Years, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, New Years".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vujovic
United States
Sugar Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argus Panoptes wrote:
By "New Years, Jan-Dec, New Years", I meant "New Years, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec, New Years".

Either way, you still can't celebrate the same holiday twice in a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,
When any one run has all of the month cards Jan-Dec (no matter where is started), that run is closed. So, while you CAN wrap around from Dec to Jan, you can only have ONE of each month in that particular year.

Now I just have to go comb through the rules and see if I missed putting that in there...

--Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Johnson
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"one of each month" is in the rules once or twice, as I remarked. My question was about having a certain holiday at both ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The same rule would apply for the holiday cards. Thanks for finding the ommission.

--Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fermanich
msg tools
I don't know if anyone reads this forum anymore, but we play this game all the time.

We have always played that a holiday card played by an opponent "breaks" the run....

So If I played 3-4-5-6 and my opponent played "Summer vacation" then, on a later turn I played 7-8-9, my run is broken and does not qualify for the 6-7-8-9 summer bonus.

If I am reading this right, Rob is saying the holiday card does not break my run, so I can still collect the summer bonus.

The earlier question about the full year with "New Years" on both ends could never happen, since there is only one of each holiday in the deck, and Wild cards cannot be used for holidays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Holiday cards are an exception and don't break runs. When looking for a completed season or year, you are looking for the month cards (or a possible wild or two).

BTW, glad you still play and are enjoying the game. Always nice to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fermanich
msg tools
We love this game. We have been looking for another copy of it, but the only ones we have found are the scalper ones for $50 and up. The copy we have now we got at our FLGS for $24 years ago.

One more question. A full-year run counts as 40 points for the four complete seasons? We had been only counting 30, because one season is always broken across the beginning/end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you are the only one who played the cards for that year, you do count it as four complete seasons.

How often do you see completed years? It is usually pretty rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.