Subject: Expedition with no cards played on it scores "0" not "- 20" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick West
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave a copy of this for Xmas to a friend, so not have the rules handy have read the summary files available here and discovered we were playing it wrong (there is a reason I usually am the one that explains the rules!).

So in our next game we will be playing with separate discard piles for each colour

However I have spotting another rule which I am not 100% clear about.

The rules state that expeditions with no cards played on them score ZERO not -20. Two options strike me:

1. Does that simply mean if you do not start off an expedition in a colour you score 0 for that colour (sort of obvious I would have thought!)?

2. Or is it suggesting that if you play only investment cards and no numbered cards then you score 0, and not a (multiplied) negative score (dependent on the number of investment cards laid)?

I tend towards interpretation (1) but would appreciate clarification/confirmation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Re: Expedition with no cards played on it scores "0" not "-
Interpretation 1 is correct. Not starting an expedition in a colour (meaning not a single card in that colour played, even the doubling cards!) are awarded 0 points. Once you play a single card, doesn't matter which one, that expedition is faced with an initial penalty of -20 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great. Thanks for the quick response.

It is so obvious that I was trying to read more into it than was there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Petrie
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
notquitekarpov wrote:
1. Does that simply mean if you do not start off an expedition in a colour you score 0 for that colour (sort of obvious I would have thought!)?

This is how I think about it when playing: Your goal is to make the most cash from your expedition, right? So if you start an expedition then you've already put some of your own cash into, like 20. You need to make that back. You're twenty in the hole.

But the killer is if you throw an investment card in there. If you put one investment card and no other cards then you have to multiply your -20 by two because the same rules apply. Meaning, if you put an investment down and nothing else you score -40 for that color. But it gets worse. If you have two or three investment cards and nothing else, then you score -60 and -80 respectively. (Remember, investment cards multiply your initial score by the number of investments plus one.)

That -20 scoring business can really break you if you don't watch out. I know from experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
how can you get 156?

((2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)-20) x 4 = (54-20)x4 = 34 x 4= 136

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
+20 for using at least 8 cards = 156

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
ah yes...thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.