Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed during my last game that the descriptions of color and strength flights specifically state three "dragon" cards of the same color or strength, respectively. Does this in fact mean mortals cannot be used to create either type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how we play it. No mortal only 'colour' flights, and no mortals in number flights. Useless mortalssauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here! Mortals cannot complete a color or strength flight. They can count towards a normal flight, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Kelley
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a game where a mortal was in a strength flight. I dont recall which mortal, but the gambit lasted 4 rounds. The mortal was in play and a subsequent dragon plays (draw card or pull from opponent) gained them a dragon of the right strength. The 3 strength didnt matter at the end of the 3rd round, but then we realized that the points were tied, making that 4th round necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there's anywhere where this is clarified. (an official FAQ or something)
It makes sense that mortals can't complete color flights. It's not like there are a bunch of cards named "Mortal" like there are, say, "Red Dragon". They just happen to all have the same colors of ink on them. (There's also a new card in Emperor's Gambit that lets mortals complete color flights, which they otherwise can't.)
However, it's not so clear that mortals can't be parts of strength flights. It's not clear, when the rules mention "dragons" for flights, that they're specifically trying to exclude mortals from that. There's no parenthetical "(but not mortals)" or similar, for instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Russell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original rules, mortals could not be used to complete special flights. However Emperor's Gambit states that

Quote:
These [rule] changes should be used with all Three-Dragon Ante games, even games that don't use any Emperor's Gambit cards...

-Mortals can be part of strength flights. Previous Rule: Only dragons could be part of strength flights.

That's from page 2 of the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.