Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about moving goods using another players track.

Let's say I have links from Lexington to Wheeling to Pittsburgh, and another player has a link from Cincinnati to Lexington. I can now move goods from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh (or vise-versa).

When I do, do I get 2 income and the other player gets 1? Or does the other player get all 3?

Thanks for your help.
-JL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemming wrote:

Let's say I have links from Lexington to Wheeling to Pittsburgh, and another player has a link from Cincinnati to Lexington. I can now move goods from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh (or vise-versa).

When I do, do I get 2 income and the other player gets 1? Or does the other player get all 3?

The owner of each individual link receives income whenever the link is used. So in your example, you would receive 2 income (1 for each of two links) and the other player would receive 1 income.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lemming wrote:

Thanks for your help.
-JL

You can't move good from Cincinnati at all unless you have a link to Cincinnati. You can only move goods from a city you have a link to.

You can move goods to Cincinnati, using the other player's link as the final link, and he'll get 1 point for your action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
DWTripp wrote:
Lemming wrote:

Thanks for your help.
-JL

You can't move good from Cincinnati at all unless you have a link to Cincinnati. You can only move goods from a city you have a link to.

You can move goods to Cincinnati, using the other player's link as the final link, and he'll get 1 point for your action.

Really? I guess I missed that rule. Could you please reference it so I can show my group?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chemist wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Lemming wrote:

Thanks for your help.
-JL

Really? I guess I missed that rule. Could you please reference it so I can show my group?

Thanks

There is no such rule. Railroad Tycoon has a rule that the first link of any delivery must belong to the acting player, but AoS has no such restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dieringer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Lemming wrote:

There is no such rule. Railroad Tycoon has a rule that the first link of any delivery must belong to the acting player, but AoS has no such restriction.

Eh? Have I been playing AoS incorrectly? I'll go re-read the rules. If you're right then I might actually have a chance at winning one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Luck
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you all for your clarifications. I spend a week trying to nail this down, and finally realized that 'The Geek' would have it answered in minutes.

BGG Rocks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Eh? Have I been playing AoS incorrectly? I'll go re-read the rules. If you're right then I might actually have a chance at winning one.

I'm afraid that you have been playing incorrectly. The "move goods along own first link only" rule in Railroad Tycoon is one of the hardest to remember for veteran AoS players. I just doesn't feel natural to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, What?! So I don't need to own a link from a city to move goods from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barkam wrote:
Wait, What?! So I don't need to own a link from a city to move goods from it?

Correct. If you read the MOVE GOODS chapter on page 6 you will see that there is no such requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alkis Moraitis
Australia
Sydney Olympic Park
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
We gotta get out while we 're young, `cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run...
mbmbmbmbmb
So I could move a cube over track I do not control at all, giving income only to my opponents if I wish? I may want to do this to eliminate a cube by moving it on a single link to a near city with the color of the cube giving my opponent one income, to prevent him moving this cube at another city of the same color farther away by say 5 links for a potential 5 income. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've been playing this wrong too. Maybe someone should write a deprogramming guide for RRT players. Being able to deliver entirely on another network really ratchets up the screwage factor. I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep... Aos screwage is much higher than most people realise!

- you can knock someone out of the game entirely
- you can build or block a link which someone else needs
- you can ship cubes which are crucial to someone else
- you can divert cubes across someone else' s railway
- you can knock someone past the income reduction thresholds
- you can monopolize bidding past someone's ability to pay
- people who enter the auction might have to pay full or half payment even if they end up being outbid

These are just the elements I remember off the top of my head for the standard board!

(No wonder they call me "Mr. Evil" in my gaming group!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.