Subject: Session report - Settlers Support Style rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Jarvis
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, let’s see if I can get it right this time.
This session covered the entire month of December. I’m a TL in a customer support department for a software company. To help boost moral and stats we do monthly incentive programs. For December I wanted to do something a bit different and a little more entertaining, so I developed a variant of Settlers that could be played by everyone in the department.
There are 16 techs in the department and they are on the phones all day. Therefore, the first thing I had to do is make break the game. I had the techs pair up in teams with one of the partners, when possible, being an experienced Settler of Catan. With 8 teams we needed a bigger board that would be very visible, so I what the 5-6 expansion added to the original game I added to the 5-6 expansion. So we had a total of 69 hexes with 8 teams. The rest of the variant rules are as follows:
Drop special building phase (too much time away from the phones)
Lower all maritime trading by 1 (1:1, 2:1, 3:1)
Drop development cards
Have the cost of development cards (sheep, wheat, and ore) buy 1 of any resource from stock
Drop robber (7 demands a re-roll)
In order to make this work oriented I attached a statistic to each of the hexes along with a number. The Stats were P (phone production), H (hold time), C (total calls answered), and T (total production). Daily goals were made for each of these stats and if the goal was not met on a particular day any resource hex with the respective stat assigned would not produce even if its number was rolled. We also had a white board where everyone would note their roll so that each time a team came up at their turn they would roll, change their roll on the board, and then collect for all rolls that had been made previous.
It worked out real well, the department had a lot of fun, many people were converted to the game and we saw improvement in the stats.
Over the month we played a total of 3 games. Games took some time since teams had to be off the phone to take their turn and when it came back to a team that was on the early shift the game would delay to the next day. Each game had a different winning team and everyone enjoyed themselves. I’m sure we will break it out in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.