Subject: Robot Positioning upon return rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, so correct me if I am wrong. In the new release of the game the rules say if two players "die" on the same turn and return to the same checkpoint, the first player places their robot and chooses a direction. Then the second player places their robot on a horizontally or vertically adjacent square but cannot point at a robot within 3 squares in their line of fire.

I assume it is implied in this statement that when you place a robot that in general has died...it cannot point at another robot if it is within 3 squares. I assume this to be the only "fair" interpretation of the rule since there are no virtual robots in the new version of the game. Is there a FAQ on this issue...I only find FAQs on the old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
checkmate123 wrote:
I assume it is implied in this statement that when you place a robot that in general has died...it cannot point at another robot if it is within 3 squares.

The rule neither says nor implies that. In the normal case where you are the only one (or the first one) reborn at a checkpoint, you can point whatever direction you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then why can the second person not choose which direction to point? How do virtual robots work...there must be a better way to handle this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The theory is that players should learn not to place themselves at end-of-turn within 3 straight-line squares of a possible 'rebirthing point'. Anyone who does so, does it at their own risk.

However, it would be absurd to expect people to avoid being within 3 spaces of not only the rebirthing point, but also any space adjacent to a rebirthing point (this would increase the danger zone from 12 possible squares to 36). So this rule seems to have beeen added so that people who come back cannot use their death to 'surpise' a robot who thought he was safely parked.

If you really want to know the Virtual Robots rule, though: when more than one robot comes into play at the same time on the same space (or when a robot tries to come back on an occupied space), the newly appearing robots appear in 'virtual' form (use a flat cardboard counter to represent a virtual robot). A virtual robot cannot push other robots, be pushed by other robots, shoot other robots, or be shot by other robots - it is invisible/immaterial to other robots. A virtual robot is, however, subject to board elements (can be shot by board lasers, fall into pits, pulled by conveyors, pushed by board pushers, teleported, portalled, oil-slicked, crushed, etc).

At the end of any turn (not phase) in which a virtual robot stands alone (in a space with no other robots, real or virtual), that robot becomes 'real' - remove the virtual-robot counter and replace it with the figurine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
checkmate123 wrote:
Then why can the second person not choose which direction to point?

1. Because the rules say so.

2. Because the second player gets more choices of where to be, so giving him fewer choices of which way to point is not a big problem for him. It's certainly better to be the second player rather than the first one, even with this "unfair" restriction.

3. Because if the second player can go in any of four spaces and point in any of four directions, he has a much higher chance of threatening to immediately kill someone by pushing them into a pit. This includes the first player, who may have no defense (since it doesn't matter which way he points, if the second player does a Move 3 first and kills him immediately).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dawson
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks for the Reply Mark. So which do you all prefer, virtual robots or this special rule to avoid the problem all together? Also are their other rules that have changed with this reprinting of Roborally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Haas
United States
Edgewood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if two or more robots, which were destroyed at the same time, return to the same archive spot?

What happens if archive is occupied by a robot that was not destroyed? In this case, I would guess that the returning robot has to take an adjacent space, as per the rules on two destroyed robots returning to the same archive, but it would be nice if the rules spelled that out.

What happens if the archive spot and all adjacent spaces are occupied?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.