Subject: Heart stopping action and excitement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Kulp
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Me, Jason, Chad, and Jenny sat down for a game of Wineopoly. Jason works for a winery, and received an "exclusive" version of the game for Christmas. The only exclusive thing about it is the names of the properties.

I hadn't played Monopoly in a long time, and my memories of it were that it wasn't great, but not nearly as bad as people say on BGG. We played by the strict instructional rules. No folk rules at all.

Right off the bat, I nabbed both Park Place and Boardwalk. Everybody else was able to grab medium sized properties, and everyone but Chad had a monopoly within the first few hours. I easily worked my way up to hotels on the dread most powerful monopoly on the board. It was now Jenny's turn. If she rolled an 11, she'd land on my Park Place. If she rolled a 12, she'd land on the much less damaging Luxury Tax.

She rolled an 11. I got all her money. She had to mortgage all three of her properties.

We continued playing. Jenny was able to stay in, hanging by a thread. At about the three and one half hours mark, the mood of the game was definitely down. Everybody was yawning, and Chad was playing with action figures between turns. I had a novel I was a reading.

Not much had changed by four hours, and Jason said he was quitting. Thankfully, I followed suit. And then Chad. Jenny, in exasperation, claimed the win because everybody else had abandonded the game.

Nobody cared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I nominate this as one of the best session reports ever. It captures the game perfectly.

Yehuda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nobody cared.

How funny... every game of Monopoly I've ever played has ended this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious. I have played quite a bit of Monopoly lately (having a 9 and 10 year old, it happens). We have played 4 players (my wife plays as well) All games end in about 90 minutes, with good times had by all.

I realize that Monopoly is very little strategy (indeed, when to build and trading are the only aspects that require an thought at all), but the constant complaint that the game drags on for hours and hours and nobody cares...well, it just seems to be a cliche, and not very common in my experience.

Incidentally the fact that my wife and I win about 80-90% of the time would seem to suggest that there are indeed some strategic decisions that have an effect on the outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliches are by definition common

4 player Monopoly is the game at its best, I'll grant you. With more players there is more money in the game, dragging it out. With less players, there isn't enough money to amass the big revenue earners, so the game drags out. There still isn't enough substance in the game for 90 minutes, even so.

Do you agree the game is over when the winner is obvious? This can cut Monopoly's playing time by an hour...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romigh
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hammiesink wrote:

Nobody cared.

Indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Moe
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Check out my games that have everything that Monopoly should of been at http://www.temporaltrade.com/ Thanks temporalmoe@yahoo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Recoil
msg tools
I checked the forum rules here and didn't see anything about replying to ancient threads (I hope there isn't an unwritten rule against doing so).

In any event, how is it even possible to have a three-player Monopoly game, played strictly according to the rules, last four hours, especially when one player gets Boardwalk and Park Place right off the bat?

I haven't played Monopoly against other people in many years, but none of the games lasted anywhere near that long. I've played quite a bit against various computer AI opponents, and the vast majority of games are over in less an hour. I just finished playing one such three-player game and I won in 35 minutes, and I didn't even have anything built until the last few moves. This isn't an unusual amount of time. Granted, playing on a computer speeds things up because the banking is automatic, but that is also offset by the time it takes to make trades with stubborn AI opponents that constantly refuse reasonable trades.

In this last game I was playing against "Wheelbarrow" and "Money Bags". MB got natural Boardwalk / Park Place, and Baltic/Med. monopolies fairly early on. He built Baltic/Med. to hotels immediately, but didn't have the cash to do much with Boardwalk / Park Place.

I had no natural monopolies, but I naturally acquired three railroads. Neither of the AI opponents would trade with me in any way that would give me a monopoly, so I decided to offer a green to WB for his railroad, which I assumed he would do, simply because it gave him a green monopoly. He did agree, and now he had one monopoly, but he was also light on cash, and he'd already mortaged most everything.

Those railroads kept the money flowing to me quite well, and MB never got rich enough to build more than one house on Boardwalk. WB was hanging by a thread, and landing on a railroad would have bankrupted him. I was hoping that would happen, because his properties would have given me a couple of monopolies. Unfortunately, he landed on the Baltic hotel and went out to MB.

I was up to about $3,000 in cash at this point, and MB was still nearly broke. I offered him an orange and a light purple for a red, giving him two monopolies on one side of the board, and my first monopoly. Surprisingly, he agreed. It was surprising because even though normally such a trade would be in his favor, he didn't have the cash to develop them, and I had enough cash to go to hotels on the reds immediately. About three moves later he hit Kentucky Avenue with a hotel, and was bankrupt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.