Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We are having a hard time with the rule that any merchant vessels still in your hand at game end count against you. Each game, only one player will have no cards in their hand, and everyone else will have exactly 1 card left in their hand, correct? Because there is no way to play more than 1 card per turn, or draw more than 1 card per turn, and you always end each turn w/ 6 in hand, until the deck runs out. So I dont understand why the wording is plural "vessels" left in hand, when the most it could be is one. And I don't understand why anyone would ever leave one in their hand, unless that's all they ever picked up towards the end. Are we playing correctly?

Also, vessels on the table during endgame are "resolved" and are only won if a player has more pirate skulls, correct? If a player has a vessel laid with no pirate ships on it, although he would have collected it when it came around to their turn, still nobody scores it at the end game because it has no pirate ships. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Merchant vessels in hand at game hand count against you?
In the Gamewright version you either draw a card or play a card. There is no hand limit. Gamewright posts their rules online and I just verified this is correct.

The previous version's rules might be different. The translations here on the geek indicate you both play and draw the same turn.

Also, any unclaimed merchant ships still in play are discarded. No one wins them. The Gamewright rules are found at http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/pdfs/Rules/Loot-RULES.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't get to play AND draw on your turn. You either play OR draw. So you won't neccessarily have 6 cards in your hand at the end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, I have Korsar, and the rules I printed were a little different. I will try that variant next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that there is a difference in the rules between Loot and Korsar, or could it be just a translation issue? Anyone have any preferences? I like the idea of playing and drawing a card every turn.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. I think we played it where you have to either play a card or draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I like the idea of playing and drawing a card every turn.

Playing and drawing doesn't feel very 'Knizia' (whatever that means).

I've only ever played the 'or' Gamewright version so maybe I should keep my mouth shut but not being able to do both sure ratchets up the tension a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

Playing and drawing doesn't feel very 'Knizia' (whatever that means).

I've only ever played the 'or' Gamewright version so maybe I should keep my mouth shut but not being able to do both sure ratchets up the tension a bit.

It might ratchet up the tension, but I think having to decide which to do adds to the strategy. Strategy = making decisions based on calculated risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how we've been playing Loot is that some folk will end up with cards in hand because the game ends when the 1st person to play their last card goes out. So you definately want to get rid of cards in you hand that are merchant ships (and will deduct from your score if kept in hand).

There will be ships left out in battle that haven't been claimed yet and that makes you think about not playing those big ships too late.

Not having to draw and play at the same time adds an element of strategy in that you are forced to make a decision - Do I play now? or draw? Kinda like Ticket to Ride in some sense in that you can't draw cards and lay trains on the same turn.

Some really cool strategy in Loot comes when you have teams of players. Makes for some neat stuff happening. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
He said having to decide which to do ratchets up the tension, not being able to do both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Korsar is "do ONE of the following"

Play a card (but only if you have at least one in your hand to play)

Draw a card (but only if there are cards left to draw from)

Discard a card without playing it (but only if there are no cards left to draw from, and only if the discarded card is not a merchant vessel)

Do nothing (but only if there are none to draw, you have none in your hand, you are playing the partnership game, and your partner still has cards)

I have seen some very bad translations of the rules. I own Korsar, and to the best of my translating ability, the above is accurate. I also own Loot and, although I only carefully scrutinized the rules once to see if they had made any changes, I didn't notice any alterations to the way the game is played. I did notice that the rule about "discarding a card after the draw pile is empty" is now somewhat hidden. (It is mentioned but almost as if it is referring to an option already described, when I don't think it has been covered at that point.) Normally you wouldn't use that option, but you might get left with a pirate of a color that you aren't allowed to play anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally missed the rule about unplayed merchant ships counting against you! Thanks for pointing it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krompot wrote:
I totally missed the rule about unplayed merchant ships counting against you! Thanks for pointing it out!

any unclaimed merchant ships still in play are discarded. No one wins them. - see above (assuming you are playing the latest version of the game from Gamewright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It is unplayed merchant ships in y our hand that count against you. If they make it to the table, then you are safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlhovan wrote:
It is unplayed merchant ships in y our hand that count against you. If they make it to the table, then you are safe.

OK, makes sense. The rules explainer missed that in our game. I did wonder what the incentive was to play merchant ships during the game ... now I know why!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.