Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sister Mary hit the streets of Arkham today in an attempt to stop the awful awakening of Yig. This is the first game I've played solo, and I've only played two other games of Arkham Horror (both with two players). I'm still trying to nail down all the rules and this game helped a lot.

Mary lost her blessing on turn one before ever getting the chance to use it (thus validating many of Mary's detractors). The rumor 'The Stars are Right' was pulled on turn one as well which would make the game much shorter than it might have otherwise been.

Gates opened up once per turn as usual in the first five turns or so. Mary travelled carefully picking up clues one at a time as that was the best she could do. Monster draws and movement were pretty lucky, actually, so she was able to avoid all combat for the most part.

Once she had enough clue tokens she made a break for the gate leading to the City of the Great Race which was at the Science Building (I wasn't really paying attention to the common gates at this point). A ghost was there, but with the help of her cross and the marksman skill she was able to defeat it fairly handily (though she did take a sanity point from a failed horror check).

For the next few turns she made her way through the City of the Great Race without much ado while monsters were starting to overrun Arkham. Many of the mythos cards I drew indicated a gate opening in either the Woods or Independence Square which of course already had gates so lots of monsters were consistently in the outskirts and the terror level was rising at a steady rate.

Mary was able to seal the gate at the Science Building and attempted to pick up some more clues. She was ambushed by a Cultist, though, at the Witch House and was knocked unconscious. She spent an extra turn at the Hospital to get another Stamina point, but since the 'Stars are Right' rumor was still out there (Mary was never able to get an ally) and I had rolled ones and twos for four turns in a row, Mary felt the need to get moving again. She returned to Administration because there were two clues there, but alas that turn another gate opened which pushed the doom track to 10 which is the limit for Yig.

Mary used her Holy Water on turn one and did about 3 damage to Yig. She made her speed check and remained unscathed after the first round. Next round (since the Holy Water was gone) she used the Shriveling spell to gain +6 again, but was unable to connect with any hits due to being cursed by Yig. This same outcome was repeated for a couple more turns, poor Sister Mary was gobbled up by Yig, and all of Arkham was overrun by the Horror.

All in all a fun game that was pretty tense though I didn't have too much chance of winning after the first couple of turns. Sister Mary wasn't too bad as I was able to avoid most combat, and she found several useful items along the way (and at the beginning of the game).

One question I had was in relation to the Outskirts. Many times I had to place 4 monsters there because there were four on the board already. If placing the 4 would put it over the max. limit do I put the entire stack back into the monster cup, or only the first 7 (and leave the excess in the Outskirts)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the second option is correct. You should check out the FAQ over at Fantasy Flight's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oops, yeah you're right. Thanks for setting me straight. I had read the FAQ, but I guess I missed that point. goo

Thinking about it now, it probably wouldn't have affected my game much (I was discarding the entire pile). The terror track would've been a bit higher, but I never got the chance to use any of the shops anyway and I think Yig would've come out before the terror track got to 10.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.