Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months ago, I set out to make a Settlers variant utilizing the role-selection mechanism of "Puerto Rico". We've played a handful of games and I've tweaked the rules a little each time. It ends up being a fairly enjoyable change from vanilla Settlers, with the added bonus that games move quickly.

Rules (complete with role cards) are available here:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=14956
You will also need some bits to represent "gold".

I'm toying around with a version 2, where the role cards are replaced by hexes that are inserted into the game board in place of the ocean hexes.

Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that my indifference is growing when it comes to user variants. Especially when it comes to Settlers, the game for which I tried to most variants. But I must admit that your Puerto Catan seems like a great idea. I will certainly try it the next time we visit Catan. Intriguing.

But I do have one question. Since your rules don't mention hand size limits, I assume that there are none. Considering that it could take awhile for the building phase to come, it is a logical assumption. Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
DO you put a gold on the unused Roles and the end of a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fortinm wrote:
I do have one question. Since your rules don't mention hand size limits, I assume that there are none. Considering that it could take awhile for the building phase to come, it is a logical assumption. Am I right?

Correct, there is no real hand limit. (However, as per normal Settlers rules, you still lose half your hand if you have 8 or more cards when a "7" is rolled.)

Having 3-4 production rolls in immediate succession and no hand limit can potentially net you a lot of cards, and has the effect of weakening the traditional trading aspect of the game. But the Trader's privelege (using harbors) and the ability to cash in gold help balance that out. (In fact, gold is responsible for balancing out most of the aspects of this variant.)

I hope you enjoy this!

riverape wrote:
DO you put a gold on the unused Roles and the end of a round?

Yep. This is stated in the last paragraph of the "Gameplay" section of the rules.

NOTE: I didn't write this in the rules, but I intend to add it if/when I upload a "version 2": we play that gold is a tradable commodity, but not a stealable one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ANOTHER NOTE: A late rules change that I forgot to add to the uploaded rules: when a "7" is rolled, first the active player movse the robber and steals, and then if anyone still has more than 7 cards, they must toss half their hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhhh...the gold bit makes no sense. According to the rules as you uploaded, the only use of gold is as a tiebreaker if two people happen to both have 10 points and the same number of resources. Furthermore, when you build, you must give the active player gold if you have any - but if you don't, then cool, you get to build anyway. Is that intended?

Assuming that you meant that you can't build unless you pay the active player a gold, that gives gold a purpose, but there is still the problem that gold keeps entering the game but never leaves.

Why not do gold the way it is done in the gold mine of Seafarers, where when you get gold, you simply take one resource card of any type that you want? Why add these special tokes that have no real use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Why add these special tokes that have no real use?

The trader phase in the rules clearly states that players can "cash in 3 gold for a resource card of their choice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
fortinm wrote:
The trader phase in the rules clearly states that players can "cash in 3 gold for a resource card of their choice."
Ah, thanks, I missed that somehow. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Homewood
United Kingdom
Southend on sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I've never played puerto rico, was after it, and then came across this variant. So ho wsimilar is this to the original game. Is it close enoguh there's no need to get it now or is it actually an amalgam of the two games so still different?

Couple of rules questions. When you play a role and in that role you get to play a resource card ie, monopoly card. Is that only if you've drawn that card from th eresource pack or does it come with the role?

Do you still start with some resources for your initial setup like Catan?

Thanks for this variant by the way to let me try Puerto Rico without having to buy it first!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be very different than Puerto Rico. It imports one interesting mechanism from Puerto Rico (the role selection mechanism) to a game which is mostly Settlers of Catan to create a new game.

It looks like playing development cards is only if you're already purchased them, with the additional restriction that they may only be used in certain phases appropriate to their abilities. I assume you don't have to be the active player to play a development card if it's appropriate to the phase.

Again, this is going to be very different from Puerto Rico. I don't think it will be very informative as to whether you'll enjoy Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Fortin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whats your game? wrote:
Thanks for this variant by the way to let me try Puerto Rico without having to buy it first!

If you want to try something more similar to Puerto Rico than Puerto Catan (and free!) you should try Pharao's Heir [http://www.ludism.org/ppwiki/PharaohsHeir], a good game from the Piecepack game system. You'll have to do some work to construct your piecepack set 'though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marc is correct; you have to have purchased the Development cards earlier, and you don't have to be the active player to play them.

And yes, you get your starting cards during the setup phase as usual.

By no means is this a substitute for Puerto Rico, which is easily one of my personal favorite eurogames. You'll get a taste of the role selection mechanism used in PR, but that's all; there's much more than that to PR, which is far more elegant and balanced than this variant.

Really, "Puerto Catan" is for the Settlers fan who wants to try something just a little different. If you want to see what Puerto Rico is like, play Puerto Rico. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.