Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Nelson
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ara, Arch, Jenn, Jim, Brian

I was highly anxious to play this game since I was seeing it as a more abstracted (thus faster) version of Civilization, the classic of my youth whose 12 hour endurance sessions are more than a tired father and his indulgent friends are willing or able to cope with. It is also a first for my game collector obsessiveness as it was my first order purchased directly from Germany. Given the import prices I saw it going for on several American sites I'm glad I ordered directly from the manufacturer.

This game seemed highly playable to me given the relatively simple rules. I was also encouraged by early reports from the Essen Spiel Fair . In practice, there were some hiccups. I don't think I gave a very smooth introduction and details of combat (which extremely simple compared to some games I've got) came out which proved confusing to say the least. Of course, you could say (and many did many times) since everyone was attacking me it was easy for me to manipulate the rules to my advantage

Winning conditions of the game are such that it works as a long slow build up to a final mash fest in the final turns. Victory points are awarded for various achievements of which conquest is only one. Given the mutual destructive nature of fighting (both side lose an equal number of pieces) it's really only beneficial to other players if you get too aggressive too early.

Based on some other session reports I've read it seems we should probably have encouraged more negotiation. This would have been particularly beneficial to Phoenicia as that is the nation in the worst starting position (center). The perceived need for constant defense can lead to sacrificing too many victory conditions for the sake of military build-up. The center is certainly challenging, but there are some possibilities there.

Being as we were all newbies the game took some time. There's a good amount of board analysis that must take place -- again, especially for the centrally located nations. However, the upside is turns come around quick. Several time all your doing is collecting some quick resources, so you're never sitting around waiting too long.

I really enjoyed this, and I'm hoping we can play it several times in a row to get a good feel for it and get our playing time down to the advertised 2 hours.

Jenn (Arabia) - 4 Scholars, 2 Kings, 1 Citizen, 1 Navigator
Ara (Greece) - 2 Kings, 2 Scholars, 1 Citizen, 1 Navigator
Brian (Egypt) - 2 Kings, 1 Scholar, 1 Citizen, 1 Navigator, 1 General
Arch (Persia) - 2 Kings, 1 Scholar, 1 Citizen
Jim (Phoenicia) - 1 King, 1 Citizen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.