Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Toys R Us to Drop 75 Stores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,181167,00.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well of course they are! They're clearly not stocking the right boardgames, for one thing! yuk
Good riddance!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Hasn't TRU been threatening this for about a year? It seems that about this time last year, they were bemoaning their sales, and some experts were saying something about Wal-Mart has become the big-name chain toy store.

While I won't say good riddance (it just seems mean), I can't say that I'm going to be affected tremendously by the loss. At the very least, I won't be tempted by their Buy-1-Get-1-Free deals, that are only marginally good to begin with, based on their selection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I hate to be a vulture, but I guess we should be on the look out for them dumping inventory cheap, cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
While I won't say good riddance (it just seems mean), I can't say that I'm going to be affected tremendously by the loss.


From a gamer's perspective, its hardly noticable.

But considering the rest of their offerings, WalMart is a very poor substitute. And that's the part that will sadden my children. Of course we've also been spending more of our toy funds on more 'educational' (or at least far less flash and dazzle) offerings than TrU tends to carry, so maybe they won't even notice.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unsurprising; TRU has been nigh-worthless for some time. I'm not optimistic about finding good deals, though, since part of the reason the stores are closing is because their selection has gotten poorer and poorer of late.

Has anyone found a list of the stores that will be closing? For those in Western Massachusetts, I've heard that the Holyoke Mall one is closing.

What's most depressing to me is the main reason, according to a couple articles I've read: kids just aren't that interested in toys. Apparently the cut-off age for kids' interest in toys has been getting earlier and earlier, as they move on to expensive electronic gadgets faster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Legomancer wrote:
What's most depressing to me is the main reason, according to a couple articles I've read: kids just aren't that interested in toys. Apparently the cut-off age for kids' interest in toys has been getting earlier and earlier, as they move on to expensive electronic gadgets faster.


My wife and I have talked on occasion about what we'd have to get rid of if we have kids. The television would be the first to go, as would many computer games, handheld game systems, iPods, etc. We want our kids to be KIDS, and while some of those things are fine, I want to inspire creativity in them, not encourage them to have everything thought for them.

My 7-year old niece has an iPod and a GameBoy, she plays on the computer for several hours a day, and she has a TV/VCR/DVD combo in her bedroom. And she's seven! I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my house I have 2 27" TVs, 1 projector with a 60x80" screen (my main display for movies and video games), 25+ video game consoles (and hundreds of controllers, ranging from paddles to maracas to microphones to keyboards to full 40-button twin joystick and pedal controls), thousands of video games, a PC with a twin-arcade-stick controller and thousands of games, 350+ board games, a couple hundred CDs, and a couple hundred DVDs.

The doors on the armoirs the TV sit in stay closed most of the time. In fact, I'd say most weeks they never even get used. The projector gets maybe one movie a week at most, and I play video games maybe 3 hours per week (if I'm feeling particularly self-indulgent and anti-social). Most TV and projector watching is done during college football season, when I invite my college buddies over for a combo board game/football game Saturday.

My daughter, age 3, has seen maybe 3-4 movies at my house. She never asks to watch TV. She has no interest at all in the projector or the TV's, really, except whenever Daddy is playing with his friends, in which case she wants to sit on his lap with a controller of her own (unplugged, usually, but don't tell her that). Her play is as imaginative as it gets...with baby dolls, toy trains, a drum set, a keyboard, blocks, books, puzzles, and even a board game or two of her very own.

TVs are evil. Toys aren't evil. Board games aren't evil. Many things are very good, in moderation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:


My wife and I have talked on occasion about what we'd have to get rid of if we have kids. The television would be the first to go, as would many computer games, handheld game systems, iPods, etc. We want our kids to be KIDS, and while some of those things are fine, I want to inspire creativity in them, not encourage them to have everything thought for them.


And yet, look how much thought you're imposing on your imaginary children with all this intended restriction of access to the most innocuous detritus of our information age. Let me give you a hint: If you give birth to a moron with no innate creativity, no amount of inspiration you try to provide will spark creativity. Sure, you can do *some* things to attempt to prevent the decline of your normal healthy child into the moron stage, but you can't change who you are. The same urges that caused you to acquire all that crap in the first place will manifest themselves in your children, because even though you're trying to pre-think their little lives for them, you'll never be able to get out of your own way.

This happy little child development scenario brought to you by Cranky Horizons LLC -- We deliver a pessimistic viewpoint about anything right to your door!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buterbaugh
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My local Toys R Us actually has a semi-decent selection of boardgames. I picked up Go there last week. They also have Caracassone and Axis and Allies. Probably other stuff I didn't notice. Of course, they aren't perfect, but they are better than I expected.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
AnakinOU wrote:
TVs are[n't?] evil. Toys aren't evil. Board games aren't evil. Many things are very good, in moderation.


I understand this. I may have misstated my intentions above, because it's not so much that we would get rid of our gadgets, but we'd have to institute some kind of guidelines, or time limits on some of those things. My niece is still very creative, and very good at keeping herself occupied. In fact, for Christmas, she received a modeling clay set, and within an hour she had made a very impressive beach scene, complete with waves, palm trees, and a sunbather in a bikini. She has an incredible creative streak, and we do whatever we can to encourage it.

The thing is, if she has a GameBoy or a TV handy, she'll want to do that instead, and when she watches TV, she completely disconnects. It's a bit unnerving, because you can speak to her, ask her questions, etc., and she doesn't acknowledge you at all.

She's a great kid, and I just want to see her foster her creativity and go far with it, because she obviously enjoys it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
The thing is, if she has a GameBoy or a TV handy, she'll want to do that instead, and when she watches TV, she completely disconnects. It's a bit unnerving, because you can speak to her, ask her questions, etc., and she doesn't acknowledge you at all.


We had a friend of my younger daughters over a while back, and she was the same way. When her eyes hit that phosphor screen, she went slack jawed and glassy eyed. I honestly thought she might be having a seizure, the change was that immediate and profound. I actually had to turn it off to get her to answer to her own name.

Her mother swears that she almost never lets her watch TV at their home, and I don't know how true that is. I doubt it, but who knows?

I don't think the electronic gadgets themselves are to blame, after all, I watched a lot of TV when I was young and yet grew up to despise them. After all, any parent who says 'look what tv did to my kid!' always, always had the option of throwing the damn thing out the window.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As the mom of three kids, I severely restricted the amount of TV they were allowed to watch. When we would go to other people's houses, my kids became like zombies in front of their televisions.

I once thought I'd try an experiment and let them watch as much as they wanted, after three weeks of constant television I gave up. I figure even though they seemed to love the TV all the more because I restricted it, it was still better for them.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

My wife and I have talked on occasion about what we'd have to get rid of if we have kids.



While it's good to clarify your values, be careful of any proclamations you say that you will do once you have kids. They have a way of throwing a wrench in all best laid plans.

I always say I did my very finest parenting before I had kids.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

My wife and I have talked on occasion about what we'd have to get rid of if we have kids. The television would be the first to go, as would many computer games, handheld game systems, iPods, etc. We want our kids to be KIDS, and while some of those things are fine, I want to inspire creativity in them, not encourage them to have everything thought for them.

My 7-year old niece has an iPod and a GameBoy, she plays on the computer for several hours a day, and she has a TV/VCR/DVD combo in her bedroom. And she's seven! I don't know why it bothers me, but it does.


I couldn't agree with you more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
Jatoha wrote:
While it's good to clarify your values, be careful of any proclamations you say that you will do once you have kids. They have a way of throwing a wrench in all best laid plans.

I always say I did my very finest parenting before I had kids.


Yeah, I've thought that on more than one occasion. We've caught ourselves being critical about others' parenting skills, completely oblivious to the fact that we have no PROVEN skills of our own.....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

My wife and I have talked on occasion about what we'd have to get rid of if we have kids.



While it's good to clarify your values, be careful of any proclamations you say that you will do once you have kids. They have a way of throwing a wrench in all best laid plans.

I always say I did my very finest parenting before I had kids.


I used to be the kind of person that was critical of other parents without having any kids of my own. Now I have kids, and ... well ... I'm still just as critical of many parents in the same ways as before.

It's very tempting to let the TV (or other high tech, attention span killing devices) raise your child, but I'm still strongly against it. As nice as it would be having an extra several hours a day, I don't want my kid bonding with the TV instead of with me. Easier said than done, to be sure.

I'm aware that it's not really a black and white issue. Some programs (PBS kids shows) are much better than others (Mighy Morphing Power Rangers), and over sheltering a child can also lead to problems when they suddenly discover this fabulous 'TV' thing later in life. But if I had to chose keep it or ditch it, I'd probably chose the latter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
Verkisto wrote:
Hasn't TRU been threatening this for about a year? It seems that about this time last year, they were bemoaning their sales, and some experts were saying something about Wal-Mart has become the big-name chain toy store.


Actually, they did a similar-size cutback maybe a year or so ago that included chopping away nearly every store in Manhattan...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
While as techno-philic as the next geek, I have always felt that technology should not be in the hands of kids until they acheive a really decent reading level.

Over time, I've seen my speculations about how too much visual stimulation kills the interest in imagining and the immediate reward nature of video games and "new media" as a whole is likely to generate impatience become near-established fact, and more so - experts also seem comfortable with the idea things as minor as digital-readout watches kill certain spatial-senses that old-fashioned hands actually encourage, that black and white stripes are more stimulating to little minds than bright colors, and overexposure to earbuds will likely become a leading cause of deafness in the not-too-distant future.

These are the same "experts" who are convinced watching "violent" media will lead to chopping up your mom, a point I'm very much opposed to them on, but I remain convinced that they should have a solid grounding in the basics before we just allow them to start shoveling hardcore brain candy into their minds...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Dignam
United States
Lithia
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My son who is 13 reads at a college level. He is an avid reader and reads at least 1 book a week and is in advance placement classes.

One of the factors getting him to that level was because of video games, reading help guides, game instructions, reading translations, playing RPGs etc.

Mind you I would read to him when he was younger, and I am a heavy reader myself. Kids emulate their parents first (for good or bad) then peers later.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
VikingBerserker wrote:
My son who is 13 reads at a college level.

Are you certain that it isn't the other way around? Such as:
''Our current College attendees have the 'attention span' and comprehension 'levels' of a '13'-year-old?''
I'm NOT "belittling" HIS 'achievements', as I was smart enough at HIS 'age' to figure OUT about "Wargames" of varying degrees, and ALL by myself at that. I was also "gainfully employed" at around the same time, and THIS when the "minimum wage" was around $1.55 an hour! No matter what it 'is' today, then it still SUCKS!
laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.