World of Warcraft: The Boardgame» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The Druid Ganker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lazenby
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The object of this strategy is to use the druid character in an early game PvP role to disrupt the other faction's early turns. This works best if the druid is on the horde side, because the horde moves first and you need that edge to ensure that you catch someone before they have a chance to level up. This works best in a 6 player game, because there tends to be one lone character to attack.

I don't recommend using this strategy against a player who is new to the game, or one that takes things personally, because ganking is -mean-, but effective.

On your first turn, purchase bear form and rejuvination with a town action, then take a move action to get in position to engage the lone alliance character on your next turn.

If the alliance reacts by moving a single character to attack you, kill him. Your level 1 druid is vastly superior to any other level 1 character in the game. If the alliance moves two characters to attack you, your strategy has succeeded. By making him waste more actions on PvP than you do you gain an early edge. More likely, the alliance faction will ignore you, and move toward a grey quest.

On your turn, have your druid engage the lone character in PvP. You should have no trouble defeating him. At level 1, the druid is the strongest character in the game. The alliance will generally react by sending their other two characters to kill your druid. This is fine, because the object of this strategy is to make the alliance waste valuable early turns on PvP, or regenerating from being killed. If he uses 2 characters to deal with your lone druid, you come out ahead.
If he doesn't deal with your druid, engage and kill the lone character again on your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the best case, you've spent 3 actions (move, move, challenge), to cost an opponent 2 actions (wasted move, and then rest). Not a gain for your side. And the opponents can also respond by not leaving a single character in range where you can attack it on turn 2. If you're in Deep Elem Mine (as close as you can get to Southshore on turn 1), they probably have several quests in spaces that are 3+ away from you. They can just send their solo character to one of those, and keep the two that are nearer to you together for one turn.

I think the game is intentionally designed so that this sort of early PvP costs you more than it gains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think the game is intentionally designed so that this sort of early PvP costs you more than it gains.

True. Normally, PvP battles end up costing more than it is worth. I can think of several reasons to engage the enemy in PvP

1) He is preparing to engage the Overlord.
2) There is a War event active.
3) To prevent enemy characters from completing Event quests.

Engaging in PvP to annoy the enemy will cost you more than it is worth, especially since you are NOT completing quests in the mean time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.