Popular Tags: [View All]
yschiew
Malaysia
Petaling Jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which would you get (if you were to only get one) and why?

I've got TTD and was thinking if I should pick Hacienda up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No doubt at all. The Greatest Game ever Designed™, Through The Desert.

Because it is more elegant, faster, and more visually appealing, yet retains depth. That being said, I recently picked up Hacienda on a whim, and while being fully prepared to disparage it as a poor mockery of TtD, found that it is really good. The scoring is very convoluted, (perhaps Kramer has been playing too many Knizia games lately), but there is a lot to do, a lot of different approaches to take, and it is a very solid game. Glad I have them both, as they fill different niches. Hacienda is a more complicated and less elegant TtD...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got both.

If I could only get one...I think I might go with Hacienda.

I enjoy all of the scoring possibilities. The game comes with a symmetrical board and an asymmetrical board (on the flip side). It also comes with a page of variants.

It's true the game doesn't break any new ground as far as mechanics are concerned. But overall, it's a nice tight game with a lot of replay value.

- Michael Campbell
meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Hacienda, but I do love Through the Desert. I'll use the opportunity to advertise my recently posted review of Through the Desert (available at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/739390), and suggest that you read it. Perhaps you'll realize how much you desperatey need Through the Desert, and almost no other game could be superior

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
KANDANG wrote:
Which would you get (if you were to only get one) and why?

I've got TTD and was thinking if I should pick Hacienda up.

Having played both within the past week (Hacienda for the first time; Durch die Wueste for the nth): Durch die Wueste.

Why? Well...

* Durch die Wueste is simpler to teach.

* Durch die Wueste is shorter.

* Hacienda offers no sense of board position, while Durch die Wueste does.

The third point is really my concern with Hacienda - because players can play anywhere, areas aren't owned or controlled. I really like a sense of position on a board, and Hacienda doesn't provide me with that. While Durch die Wueste offers nearly as many opportunities to mess with my opponents, it also offers a far greater sense of owning 5 or 4 positions on the board and trying to develop them. I enjoy that more.

There's nothing really wrong with Hacienda - it's just not a game I need to play further. In contrast, I just bought a copy of Durch die Wueste for work so that I can play it more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.