Well the last release was a little over nine months ago, how crazy is that? You’ll notice with this release I jumped a bunch of version numbers. The reason for that is because of all the massive changes. I know I had said the core rules were solidified at the v1.0 release, and in a sense they still are, but yeah, v1.9 and forward will be different than prior releases.
What I’m planning to do is release v1.9, let it simmer for a bit, and then release the “final” version as v2.0. This is because I might have missed typos or other errors just due to the sheer size of the changes.
If you want to get the latest rulebook grab it from the Files section or directly from the development website
Version 1.9 Rules Changes
- Renamed the statline, which is now: DEF, RTN, CTN, BTN, SPD, HP. That would be Defense (Armor Rating), Range Target Number (Ranged Miss Chance), Close Target Number (Melee Miss Chance), Bravery Targer Number (Bravery/Gutless), Speed (Movement), Panic Speed (Panic Movement). The reason for this was to apply a consistent naming to the lower-is-better stats (RTN, CTN, BTN). Also Defense makes more sense in terms of dinosaurs and lightly armored cowboys. Speed also sounds better since then the Maneuever Phase can become Movement Phase instead. Also Defense is written as +X, and Speed as X” instead of both being flat X. The use of these statistics doesn’t change much, it’s more just a redone naming and reorder of the stat line. To get an idea of what the new statline looks like see this example posse roster.
- In the same vein of renaming for theme, Run was changed to Hustle
- Split Speed on the Posse Roster (similar to Hitpoints) to easily see what the Hustle distance would be
- Dinosaurs now ignore Difficult Terrain, due to their massive size. This also makes moving a big dinosaur toy MUCH easier on a cramped table.
- Dinosaur balancing: King DIS 9 to 8, King A-D 1-9 to 1-8, Raptor A-D 1-6 to 1-5, Fin HP to 17, Terror A-D 1-7 to 1-6, Terror MV 5 to 6, Plated HP 23 to 22, Runner HP 10 to 11, Thickskull A-D 5-1 to 4-2, Horned MV 6 to 5, Horned A-D 4-3 to 6-1, Ripper HP 12 to 13, Longneck HP 37 to 35, Titan HP 32 to 30
- Added 10 Deployments to spice up games beyond “line up on opposing sides”
- Added 11 Objectives to help move away from plain “kill everything” matches
- Added 40 Features to provide some extra variety to games, such as Duststorms, Volcanos, Traps, Weapon Emplacements, etc.
- Added a Forced March rule to allow posses to travel longer per day at the cost of Initiative
- Added an underdog table for unbalanced battles in a campaign
- Added rules for Overland Difficult Terrain
- Added after encounter Wound and Injury rules for an ongoing campaign
- Updated Variant Rules to have 19 solid options, instead of old brainstorm info
- Renamed Surprise Hit to Shot in the Back (for flavor)
- Added a Custom Game Sheet that helps track Variant Rules and Features in a game
- Added a game component and game example image to the Game Overview
- Buffed Lassos so they are a little more viable. Now they base the attacks-damage off the dinosaur being ridden. This basically gives a mounted dinosaur a slight ranged attack
- Added a new image based on an old Pony Express ad
- Improved Dinosaur page by making it landscape and adding silhouettes to give an idea of each dinosaur
- Minor change to Minimum Range to be 0-X instead of 1-X to clarify that it can’t be used in melee
- Lowered Voluntary Weakness for Bravery to make it less profitable. Now it goes 2, 2, 3, 4 to stop getting 14 IP from dropping Bravery by two
- Made a note about maximum Traits (which is 13 at 400 IP)
- Reworded Neotechnoist wealth refund to be clearer
- Embed fonts in exported PDF, very important for Dingosaurus font (used in Dinosaur list for silhouettes)
- Cut the PDF size down to ~2.5mb (even with all the new images) by changing from Lossless image export to 100% quality
- Added an example completed posse roster to help players understand how they should look
- Added a note that dinosaurs block Line of Sight
- Added a D12 Random Direction table (demonstrating using the faces of a clock)
- Cleaned up item lists to use alternative colored rows and some green garnish
- Add a note that only a single Panic token can be added at once, regardless of double or triple damage
- Added Dice Tables for D4, D8, D10 in case players only have D12s
- Removed the Crossfire rule and diagram. It was never used, was overly clunky and complex, and didn’t add much
- Added Hatchet as an alternative to Hammer
- Trait “Runner” was renamed to “Racer” to avoid confusion with the dinosaur
Like I said, a TON of changes. I maybe should have done an intermediate release, now that I realize how far out of date the old v1.3 was compared to the current.
- Last edited Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:04 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013 10:07 pm
Re: v1.9 - A big release with lots of changes
Reading through it now. Just reading through the change-log, it looks like a lot of good design choices.
Re: v1.9 - A big release with lots of changes
Note that v1.9 was polished and recently released as v2.0, which you can get from the Files section.
In terms of changes there were a few new pieces of art added, most notably a new title page. Mostly just clarifying corner cases, adding some new features (like additional Deployments), and working on The Saloon to better accommodate campaign play.
Full list of 2.0 Changes
- Added two new Deployments: “Layered” and “Delayed”
- Added 5 new art pieces, replaced 2 pieces
- Added ‘spohniscool’ Xenozoic Landscapes as title page (link)
- Reworked the version, licensing, and credit information into a table
- Renamed ‘Range’ to ‘Distance’ for how far weapons can attack, to avoid confusion with RTN and the entire term “range weapon”
- Change Defoliant Grenade from $200 to $100
- Updated trait text for consistently with other traits and with the latest rules
- Noted to measure from the attacker’s base to the closest point on the enemy, to prevent measuring to the back of a dinosaur to avoid Minimum Range
- Noted who to Flee from if multiple enemies are the same distance away (ie: no “nearest”)
- Increased playtime recommendation from 30-60 to 45-60 minutes
- Noted playtime increases with more players
- Moved “firing in close combat” to the bottom of the section, since text involving range attacks shouldn’t be the first item in the melee section
- Also said firing into close combat replaces ANY Distance modifier instead of specifically Short, since shooting into melee could be done from further away
- Noted that the enemy that took a dinosaur out of action places the passengers, instead of the generic “enemy” which could cause confusion in multiplayer games
- Saloon: Made the Load table view scrollable based on the browser size
- Saloon: Added title mouseovers to weapon special abilities in the store view
- Saloon: Added an option to Sell an item instead of Remove it. Sell gives half refund, and is meant for ongoing campaigns
- Saloon: Updated trait text to match the latest text
- Saloon: Added option to sell a Dinosaur for a half refund, instead of Remove for full
- Saloon: Fixed removing a member to properly include hiring cost in the ND amount listed in the status
See the full release announcement on the developer blog.
- Last edited Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:05 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:04 am