Popular Tags: [View All]
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of you may be aware that we had a major 6,9 earthquake in Greece a few days ago (fortunately no one was hurt).

Looking at my game shelves i noticed that some games were slightly moved and i was wondering how could i fix them in place so they don't move and land on the floor in case another earthquake strikes in the future.

If it is a major earthquake saving my games collection will be my last priority (some of you may not agree with that ) but usually major earthquakes don't happen close to Athens (so far!).

Any ideas?

A large 2-3 meters long rubber-band around the games and shelve so they don't slide?

tradetradetradetrade

1 = Game X
trade = shelve
= rubber-band

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't the rubber band just squeeze the boxes, so that when shaken, instead of sliding onto the floor, they are squirted onto it?

I think keeping them in those giant tupperware bins would be safest, but it's not a very attractive way to display your collection. Maybe you could build some sort of hinged grille that keeps them on the shelf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big chunk of velcro on all shelves and all game boxes. It's the only way to go.

Or, just to beat Chad to the punch, you could store them all in wicker baskets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Wouldn't the rubber band just squeeze the boxes, so that when shaken, instead of sliding onto the floor, they are squirted onto it?

The rubber band will just hold the boxes in place without applying too much preasure on them.

Favre4MVP wrote:
A big chunk of velcro on all shelves and all game boxes. It's the only way to go.

That's a good idea (with some modifications):

I'll probably stick velcro under the shelves and use cloth rubber bands with velcro on both ends. Cloth rubber bands are easily removable and the game boxes aren't ruined!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
In a previous library, we used some thick, textured tape along the front edge of a shelf to keep videotapes from sliding back and forth on the metal shelves. It didn't require any kind of adhesive on the cassette boxes themselves; the tape itself was textured enough to "grip" the boxes. It was gray and bumpy, and about the width of duct tape, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you much more than that.

You could try putting two strips of some kind of textured tape along the bottom of your shelves and put your games on that. You wouldn't have to put any kind of velcro on the game boxes, and it MIGHT hold them in place well enough. It's hard to say. The cassette boxes had ridges along the bottom edge from where the case closed (think of video rental boxes), so that "stuck" to the tape.

I hope this makes sense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
You could try putting two strips of some kind of textured tape along the bottom of your shelves and put your games on that.

The problem is that i stack 3-4 games one on top of the other. Using your solution the bottom box will probably stay in place but the boxes on top of that will not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Do you think you could stand them on edge, like books on a bookshelf? That's sort of what I was thinking, though I don't even store my games in this manner.

Oh, and how often do you get earthquakes in Greece (not counting any aftershocks)? Is it prevalent enough to need to worry about securing your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Oh, and how often do you get earthquakes in Greece (not counting any aftershocks)? Is it prevalent enough to need to worry about securing your games?

Not very often but a 5,9 earthquake in 1995 made everything not securly attached to land on the floor (fortunately i had no games on shelves back then).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Lassonde
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm you could run a great strip of cloth or strap from the top of the shelving to the bottom along every column of games (if they are organized so neatly). You could secure it with a screw or the like at the top, and something like a hook at the bottom so you could easily unfasten the strap at the bottom to acess any games on the shelf you want. If they are not organized so neatly, I'm sure you could find a reasonable distance (every 30 or 40 cm or so) to affix these straps so that they would secure all the games.

I don't particularly know if this would be attractive, but it's a possibility and it would be easily applied. It would, however, accomplish the goal of games not falling out to the floor. As well, any games that don't fit very neatly against the shelf edge would cause problems, either allowing too much play, or jutting out so that the strap isn't secure against the shelving unit.

Maybe a cargo net of some kind, affixed in a similar way, so that when you were interested in playing games you could easily remove the netting so that people could see what you have to play, but when not in use you could secure them safely behind the net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.