1A. Command & Initiative Phase
HQ nationality modifiers are +2 for German and 0 for Russian in1941. These remain the same for the game. Major Chappenstein in the German HQ rolls for initiative 3 +2 German 1941 = 5 Command Points (CP), Kapitan Chappevitch in the Russian HQ rolls for initiative 4 +0 Russian 1941 = 4 CP. German wins initiative and chooses to go first.
1B. German Orders Phase
In BGPG the command units attempt to Activate, then declare Combat Groups, then issue Orders. All German command units need a 7 to activate, except the company commander needs a 5, and the FAC needs an 8.
German Unit Characteristics Card (on flip side of scenario card) - both made as part of scenario preparation to reduce individual chart lookup time during the game.
Note that even though the game figure scale is 15mm that weapon ranges for 20mm are used since they felt better. Movement ranges remained 15mm.
1) Try to activate Lt. Fiedler, A/C 222 Recon Plt commander, in the North Recon Group. Roll 7, Activated, with Combat Group as the 4 A/C 222s in his platoon. Concerned about hidden enemy on the hill ahead, he issues a Fire & Maneuver Order for 2d6, allowing both movement and fire. Roll 12! Snake eyes (bad) and Boxcars (good) are Special Events, and on a movement roll a 12 gives a bonus dice for movement. Roll 1 for a total roll of 13 + 16 road movement bonus for A/Cs = 29 inches. All individual Recon units can do recon which is better done close-up, so rather than recon at start, the lead A/C#1 moves up to the road bend and momentarily halts to recon the west end of the hill. Roll 9 +2 close = 11 Spot One, which requires one hidden unit to be revealed. No enemy present, so A/C#1 continues up the road toward the bridge and suddenly takes Defensive Fire. Enemy units Defensive Firing do not need activation.
Even though Ambush Camouflaged the AT Rifle must reveal its location since it fired at a range of 6 inches or less, so it is now placed on the table in a trench. ATR roll 7 -1 Small -1 Fast = 5 Missed! A 6 or better is need to hit a target and the A/C is a small, fast vehicle. A/C#1 ends movement there since it wants to fire at the AT Rifle (after all have moved). A/C#2 moves up 6 inches recons the middle of the hill. Roll 8 +2 close = 10 Spot One. No enemy present. A/C#2 continues moving up behind A/C#1 and halts. A/C#3 moves up 6inches recons the east end of the hill. Roll 10 +2 close = 12 Spot 2. No hidden enemy present. A/C#3 continues moving up behind A/C#2 and halts. A/C#4 moves all the way up behind A/C#3 and halts, recons the small woods at the NW end of bridge. Roll 9 +2 close = 11 Spot One. No enemy present. With movement complete and no other targets, all 4 A/Cs fire at the ATR.
A/C#1 Roll 10 +2 close -2 trench = 10 Hit
Add +2 Anti-Infantry factor for 20mm autocannon = 12 resulting in a Dispersed Test. ATR rolls 9 = Dispersed. The AT Rifle is toast, so the remaining A/Cs are deemed to have fired but must roll to check for Low Ammo on a 2.
A/C#2 Roll 11 OK, A/C#3 Roll 8 OK, A/C#4 Roll 7 OK.
2) Try to activate Lt. Wagner, PzIIF Recon Plt commander, in the South Recon Group. Roll 5 Failed Activation so Maj. Chappenstein at HQ prods him to get moving by giving him 2 Command Points (CP) to make 7 and activate, with Combat Group as the 4 PzIIFs in his platoon. German CPs now = 3.
Concerned about possible hidden enemy on the other side of the bridge ahead, Wagner issues a Fire & Maneuver Order for 2d6, allowing both movement and fire. Roll 9, and uses the +10 road bonus for PzIIF = 19 inches. Pz#1 moves out across the bridge and just before exiting the bridge, recons the nearby woods just to the north. This is a small woods so is classed as one Terrain Section (approx 6 inches diameter). Roll 7 +2 close = 9 Spot One. No enemy present, so Pz#1 continues off the bridge and immediately takes Defensive Fire from three enemy units! The PzII is a small target but not fast.
The source location(s) are Ambush Camouflaged and more than 6 inches away, so are not revealed. Normally the Russian player would announce the fire but not the location or unit identification, only "Defensive Fire with X net DRM" and then roll. For this AAR they are defined in full.
- Hidden AT Rifle (south) - Defensive Fire roll 7 -1 small = 6 Hit. After a hit is achieved with a 6 the weapon factor is added and the armour factor deducted to yield a final number. Add +0 Anti-Tank Rifle weapon factor -0 PzII Side Armour factor = 6 No Effect. A ping. An 8 or better is needed to affect an AFV.
- Hidden AT Rifle (hill) - Defensive Fire roll 5 -1 small +1 height bonus = 5 Missed.
- Hidden 45mm AT Gun (steep hill) - Defensive Fire roll 3 -1small -2 long range + 1 height bonus = 1 Missed.
Pz#1 continues moving up the road the full 19 inches and halts. Pz#2 moves across the bridge and pauses to recon the woods close by just to the south of the bridge. This is a larger woods, divided into two Terrain Sections, with Pz#2 spotting the one closest to the bridge. Roll 7 +2 close = 9 Spot One. No enemy present, so Pz#2 continues until behind Pz#1. Pz#3 moves up behind Pz#2 and recons the west end of the woods on the hill to the north. Roll 3 +2 close = 5 Nothing Spotted. Pz#4 moves up behind Pz#3 and also recons the west end of the hill woods to the north. Roll 5 +2 close = 7 No Armour Spotted. Pretty obvious! Wagner, not pleased with the incoming fire and still nothing spotted, orders Pz#1 to Recon By Fire on the west end of the hill woods to the north. Only one unit per Combat Group is allowed to Recon By Fire with -2 DRM. Roll 5 -2 recon +2 close = 5 Missed, Nothing Spotted. A bust.
3) Try to activate the Company Commander, Hauptmann Hirsch, in the North Recon Group. Roll 8 Activated (only needed a 5) with Combat Group his Kubelwagon and the 3 trucks carrying the Schutzen Plt. Hirsch issues a Rapid Advance Order. Roll 15 + 16 road bonus = 31 inches to move the column up the road to just behind the A/C 222 Plt.
4) Try to activate Lt. Jaeger, commander of the Motorcycle Recon Plt in the South Recon Group. Roll 7 Activated with Combat Group his M/C Plt. Jaeger orders a Rapid Advance Order to swiftly support the tanks scouting ahead. Roll 13 + 16 road bonus = 29 inches. The Plt. moves 14 inches up behind the Pz#4 atop the bridge.
Dismounting takes half the total movement so with more than half movement left (15 inches) Jaeger orders the M/C Plt. to dismount and deploy on the bridge. No Recon is allowed because this is a Rapid Advance. The 3 M/C vehicle stands are removed from the table and replaced by 2 rifle squads and a command unit. Transport no longer needed is simply removed from the table. One squad has an extra LMG attached. BGPG normally replaces a rifle squad stand with an LMG squad stand to represent the extra LMG, all firing as one unit, but using an attached LMG team is a House Rule. The LMG team is attached permanently to the lead rifle squad but fires separately from the squad.
5) Try to activate Lt. Krause, commander of the Schutzen Plt. in the South Recon Group. Roll 11 Activated with Combat Group the 3 trucks carrying his Schutzen Plt. Krause orders a Rapid Advance for his trucks. Roll 6 + 16 road bonus = 22 inches, and all move up behind the M/C Plt. Since more than half the movement allowance was used, they cannot dismount. No Recon is allowed with a Rapid Advance.
6) Try to activate Lt. Ritter, commander of the Heavy Weapons Plt. in the South Recon Group. Roll 5 Failed Activation so Maj. Chappenstein at HQ orders him to get his butt in gear by giving him 2 Command Points to make 7 and activate, with Combat Group his Plt except for the 81mm mortar, which remains near Chappenstein at the HQ awaiting fire orders. German CPs are now = 1. Ritter orders a Rapid Advance for his truck towing the 75mm Inf gun. Roll 12 + 16 road bonus = 24 inches, and they move up behind the Schutzen Plt. Even though they moved less than half the movement allowance, Ritter keeps them embarked since there is no wish to deploy yet. No Recon is allowed with a Rapid Advance.
End of German Orders Phase.
1C. Russian Orders Phase
Kapitan Chappevitch at HQ = 4 CP. Chappevitch is relieved that reinforcements have arrived! Two platoons of experienced Recon Cossack SMG Cavalry, one platoon of 3 ancient Recon BA-6s with inexperienced crews, and one platoon of 5 T-26s, but these have just militia grade crews which is disappointing. 13th Army HQ must be scraping the bottom of the barrel for these.
Inexperienced and Militia troops are -1 DRM for Rally attempts. Militia troops also are -1 DRM for any Morale checks. In addition, while the A/C BA-6s and T-26s have a powerful 45mm gun, they both must take a greater penalty for Long Range Fire (-3 DRM) due to poor gun sights, plus a penalty for Single Man Turret (-1 DRM). The single man turret penalty is because the commander also serves as gunner.
Russian Unit Characteristics Card (on flip side of scenario card)
Weapon ranges are for 20mm.
1) Try to activate Lt. Korzhakov, commander of the North Cossack Recon SMG Cavalry. Roll 7 Failed Activation, so Kap. Chappevitch at HQ orders him to get moving by giving him 1 Command Point to make 8 and activate with Combat Group the 4 squads in his Cavalry Plt. Russian CPs are now = 3. Korzhakov orders a Rapid Advance for his cavalry. Roll 15 + 2 standard cavalry bonus = 17 inches, and they enter north of the HQ forest moving the full distance into the crop field. Because they are not in LOS of the enemy, they could have remained Hidden but could only move at half speed. Since speed is more important than caution at this point the units are placed on the table and move full value, remaining mounted.
2) Try to activate Lt. Pashin, commander of the South Cossack Recon SMG Cavalry. Roll 6 Failed Activation, so Kap. Chappevitch at HQ orders him to also get galloping by giving him 2 Command Points to make 8 and activate with Combat Group the 4 squads in his Cavalry Plt. Russian CPs are now = 1. Pashin orders a Rapid Advance for his cavalry. Roll 10 + 2 standard cavalry bonus = 12 inches, and they enter in the south through the open forest moving the full distance, staying mounted. They could not remain hidden since they are in LOS of the German troops on the bridge.
3) Try to activate Lt. Torchinovich, commander of the T-26 Plt. Roll 2! When any activation roll is a 2 all remaining CPs are lost and there is a possibility of losing Initiative (end of Russian Orders Phase). Both players roll 2d6 and add national DRM. Russian roll 8, German roll 2 +2 German1941 = 4. Russian wins so at least keeps Initiative! The T-26 Plt does not arrive and must wait until at least Turn 2.
4) Try to activate Lt. Burkov, commander of the A/C BA-6 Plt. Roll 4 Failed Activation and no CPs left! The A/C BA-6 Plt does not arrive and must also wait until at least Turn 2.
5) Try to activate Kapitan Vasilyev, Kommissar (and Acting-Company Commander) on the hill with the 45mm AT Gun. Roll 4 Failed Activation. No remaining CPs.
Single units that are not commanded, like the AT Gun, snipers, or AT Rifles, can try to activate independently at a cost of 1 CP per attempt. Since no CPs remain, no attempts can be made. Individual unfired units in Point Blank Range (close range) can fire without a CP cost for activation, but no Russian unit is within Point Blank Range.
End of Russian Orders Phase. Kapitan Chappevitch is not impressed with the armoured support taking a wrong turn when they are desperately needed here. Recruits! Bah!
1D. Rally & Morale Phase
This phase is where any suppressed units try to Rally. Since there are no suppressed units, this phase is skipped. There 1 Russian casualty of the 28 at start (AT Rifle). When one side loses half the units on the table they must take a Battlegroup Withdrawal Test.
Russian unit losses = 1 of 28 German unit loses = 0 of 29.
Unit positions on the table at the end of Turn 1
End of Turn 1. I hope the previous setup and this first game turn gives some help to those learning BGPG. Please open the next file posted "ATP Scenario AAR - Turn 2" to continue with Turn 2.
- Last edited Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013 12:54 am