Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that this expansion adds so much, that trade with other players may not be quite as critical. What do people think about playing this with 2 players? Would it work better than playing Settlers with 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
We play this frequently as a two player game and, as you suggest, it does play much better than Settlers alone with the out-of-the-box rules.

The only minor change we make is that the robber only blocks your resource hex twice (we turn him on his side after the first blocked number rolls), then returns to the desert. We found that having the robber plus an unusual stretch of no sevens resulted in too many run away wins for the other player.

We also recently put together a two player variant which, for us, plays very well in C&K as well as Settlers alone. See the files section under the base game if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yehuda Berlinger
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this two player for a year or so. First of all remember that the official rules have changed that the robber doesn't move until the barbarians have hit once (or somthing like that). You could also just both start off with a knight, instead.

The only other change I would make is that the game is won either by getting to 13 points OR by being 5 points ahead of your opponent. That will allow you to prematurely end the roughly 40% of the games that are simply no fun to play due to screwy dice rolls.

Yehuda
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played three 2 player games of Cities and Knights and it appears to work really well as a 2 player game. The first two games, not so much because it was fairly obvious who was going to win early in the game. By the third game, we had realized how important that inital city placement is, and the game was tight all the way to the finish. The barbarians provide a real incentive to trade, especially when both players might lose a city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think better results would flow from playing a game actually designed for two players. Sour of me, I know.

This might actually have advantages over the more crowded 4 player game as their is much less chance of resource shutout...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Sour of me, I know.

Indeed. Anyways, we've played the Catan card game countless times and were anxious to try out Cities & Knights. As it turns out, it works very well for two players, unlike Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
We also recently put together a two player variant which, for us, plays very well in C&K as well as Settlers alone. See the files section under the base game if you're interested.

Hello Grildensnork,
I found your 2-player variant and my wife & I will give it a try the next time we play.

Do you change anything about the C&K additions? Like putting out Knights for the dummy player or upgrading his settlements to cities, etc.

Thanks,
--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.