Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Weiss
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played a quick three game set of San Juan with the wife last night.

First game, I drew Aquaduct, Black market, Well and indigo with the initial draw, making my early choices fairly obvious. I quickly built up a huge production base. Finishing with the Guild Hall and Palace was the coup de grace. Final Score 38-28

Second game wasn't quite so kind to me but a nice balanced production/building strategy, complete with the two largest monuments and the Monument bonus card left me in good shape. It didn't hurt, of course, that my wife was trying out the Guild hall strategy; not knowing that she was never going to find a Guild Hall card. At the critical juncture I had them all safely tucked away in my hand. This left me with a comfortable 32-24 win.

For the final game, I decided to try a strategy that focused almost exclusively on purple buildings. As it turns out, my wife decided to do the same thing, which is quite rare for her. This time I just wasn't able to generate enough cards to keep up with her. She maintained a couple of very efficient production buildings and used the black market card to bury me. At the end of the game I was only able to complete 10 buildings to her 12. Despite this, I still had fairly efficient scoring, making the score fairly close. Final score 31-30.

We've been trying out a number of other games that I have picked up recently but we keep coming back to San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed, one of the things I like about San Juan is the many different ways to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.