Popular Tags: [View All]
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions:

1.) If there are foes with black symbols already in the foe-line when the Black Gate card is activated (i.e. all the black-symbol foes are returned into a final deck), do these need to be defeated twice?

2.) After the last foe is revealed, or all foes are defeated (after the Black Gate) but Military Victory* is ignored, what happens when the two white boxes appear on a die roll (or adventure board)? Is it now equal to another blank, or do cards now need to be discarded as per the original rules?

*Military Victory spoils the game in my opinion--even WITH the Black Gate card, it's relatively easy and doesn't feel right, since it's totally against the meaning of the Books. I know that many have complained about this, but I wonder how Reiner could have let this one slip by, especially considering that the Black Gate wasn't even included! The main problem I think is that there just aren't enough foes, which brings me to another question:

3.) If the rules call for foes to be revealed (e.g. 4 foes when skipping scenarios) but the foe deck doesn't have enough (e.g. only 2 foes remaining when attempting to skip Helm's Deep or Shelob's Lair) is this simply accepted as a free pass? Or would this make skipping scenarios impossible, OR (as per question 2) would cards need to be discarded instead?

Thanks for any help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
@1.) No, "all" only applies to already defeated foes.

@2.) If I am not mistaken, it now works as a 'blank'. See it as a bonus for having defeated all foes.

@3.) First it would invoke 'the black gate', but if already past that point, just reveal what is left (if any).

EDIT:
By the way... welcome to the Geek. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with all of Alfred's interpretations. Welcome to BGG

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. I thought of another question:

4.) After Military Victory WITH the Black Gate card is achieved, do the twice-defeated black-symbol foes count for 2 points?
What if the fellowship decides to continue on and destroys the One Ring as well (so if in effect BOTH Military Victory w/Black Gate AND destruction of the One Ring are achieved, is there a point bonus)?

Quote:
@2.) If I am not mistaken, it now works as a 'blank'. See it as a bonus for having defeated all foes.

That's what I thought, but my brother insists that we return to the original rules. I guess one could go back to discarding for a bit more of a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
@4) They just count as 1 point. But if you like to score it your way, go ahead. The second part of your question almost describes the game as we play it.

We forget about Military Victory altogether as it is athematic. We have a bonus for defeating all foes instead. The bonus is the Watchful Peace card.

I know Matthew plays it that way too. We have both mentioned this on a few occasions in the past if I recall. There should be a few threads on these forums.

EDIT:
I see that recently Matthew started a thread for it in the Variants forum: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/87400

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Wißmath
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an excellent idea. Watchful Peace could be slid underneath the Black Gate card, which would keep Military 'Victory' difficult but definitely beneficial!

Guess I'll have to buy the Sauron expansion, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.